Terry Pratchett's "The Watch" - A diverse and inclusive steampunk BBC series inspired by the Discworld Novels

• We've gotten t.me/kiwifarms set up for downtime announcements since Twitter doesn't allow us to have one.

knightlautrec

Keh heh heh heh…
kiwifarms.net

Those replies in that twitter feed of woke neckbeards and dangerhair women all 'I LOVE THIS THE BEST STAY MAD MAN BABIES TERRY WOULD LIKE THIS' Can honestly go sit on it on spin. I'm a woman. I don't endorse changing men to female or vice versa.

And if these goony braindead fuckers thing Prachett would have LIKED this? Don't recall that one of the last things he asked of Neil Gaimen as his friend and collaborator was to make sure Good Omens got a proper adaptation to their vision in the book. He ASKED that. And if you think he'd be okay with them trampling over his characters you'd be fucking wrong. The fact his daughter distanced herself and said 'it has nothing to do with me' screams volumes. Because if she liked it? She wouldn't have done that.

Judge Holden

TRVE BVCK BREAKER
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hope they never get their hands on the Witches. They'll ruin Granny and Nanny with this agenda shit that every woman has to be a man with boobs and not organically women with their own strengths. Granny Weatherwax is a force because she's old and she's wily and she's sceptical of it all. Not because she goes around punching people.

Cmon, arent you the least bit curious to see Tranny Weatherwax and Hijabby Ogg?

They somehow managed to make Captain Carrot correct, but then fuck up nearly every other character.

I have no words. Literally none.
Allow me to inform you why that is.

According to the plot overview his role in this is as the new rookie being instructed in policing by Karangua, which given what we know is going to result in him being the designated clueless white guy who needs to be educated into wokeness by the diverse cast away from his problematic views on minorities

I 1000% guarantee this is going to be his plotline. Expect it to win multiple Hugo awards in 2021 and for dozens of articles lamenting how the icky nurdbros are not imitating this fine rolemodel.

Last edited:

Shitpiss Babylord

kiwifarms.net
This hurts me far more than all the other lazy wokewashing of other existing material because, like others have said, the originals were already progressive and diverse, Terry just did it well!

They were all about a myriad of different peoples and cultures squeezed into a mega city, the friction it caused and how people always found a way to make it work anyhow. They threw that away for this preachy modern vomit?!

After this I’d hate to see what they’d do to Monstrous Regiment, a favourite of mine.

Judge Holden

TRVE BVCK BREAKER
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This hurts me far more than all the other lazy wokewashing of other existing material because, like others have said, the originals were already progressive and diverse, Terry just did it well!

After this I’d hate to see what they’d do to Monstrous Regiment, a favourite of mine.
Oh boy I wonder who would get the part of Jackrum?
leslie-jones-screaming-640x480.jpg

- unrelated picture of leslie jones -

knightlautrec

Keh heh heh heh…
kiwifarms.net
According to the plot overview his role in this is as the new rookie being instructed in policing by Karangua, which given what we know is going to result in him being the designated clueless white guy who needs to be educated into wokeness by the diverse cast away from his problematic views on minorities

Which clearly misses the point of Carrot completely if they do go that route. Being disalarmingly nice and naive and able to just get along with everyone Boy Scout style is what completely sets him apart from everyone else who is cynical and jaded in the City. And people mistaking his naivety for being stupid are often slapped fairly hard when they realise he's on the up and up.

The only prejudice bone in Carrot's body was slightly towards Trolls. And even then he realised he was being biased and he was a lawman first, dwarf second.

JohnDoe

Locker room snapshots and political posts are fun!
kiwifarms.net
So what you're telling me is this book series succeeds in actually being progressive with its own diverse cast while also not being obnoxious about it whereas the show runs full tilt into the stupid woke shit.

Yes. You really should read them sometime, they're very good! Well, the first few are a bit rough because he was just starting out, and the last few sloppy because he had Alzheimer's, tragically. Still, all worth reading!

WhoBusTank69

an endless thirst
kiwifarms.net
I've never read Discworld, or really anything by Terry Pratchett (yes I'm an uncultured swine), but Jesus Christ these photos are ugly. The set design, the costumes, the fucking actors are all hideous and don't even resemble the characters if the other posters' comments are anything to go by. This show is visually unattractive to someone unfamiliar with the books so it begs the question of who the hell this is even for. Hardcore fans are obviously upset while people who aren't fans are repulsed.
The way I look at it, Discworld is considered less of a story and more of a brand akin to Doctor Who in that it will be marketed towards "nerds" in the same way that the actual story, that aforementioned "nerds" have never read and only heard of in passing mind you, can be easily digested with popular woke concepts using a very, very low budget.

Ellesse_warrior

Forum Staff
🐄 On-Topic Mod 🐄
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cmon, arent you the least bit curious to see Tranny Weatherwax and Hijabby Ogg?

Allow me to inform you why that is.

I 1000% guarantee this is going to be his plotline. Expect it to win multiple Hugo awards in 2021 and for dozens of articles lamenting how the icky nurdbros are not imitating this fine rolemodel.
Tranny weatherwax lmao!

knightlautrec

Keh heh heh heh…
kiwifarms.net
So there is confirmation that Angua is now Carrot's superior and mentor.

Well, that just changes their entire dynamic. And the dynamic of the setting and timeline. This is less feeling like it was inspired by Discworld and more like 'we kinda faintly ran our slimey woke hands over the spine of some books and decided we could do better than a writer who had 30+ novels under his belt'.

Shitpiss Babylord

kiwifarms.net
Which clearly misses the point of Carrot completely if they do go that route. Being disalarmingly nice and naive and able to just get along with everyone Boy Scout style is what completely sets him apart from everyone else who is cynical and jaded in the City. And people mistaking his naivety for being stupid are often slapped fairly hard when they realise he's on the up and up.

The only prejudice bone in Carrot's body was slightly towards Trolls. And even then he realised he was being biased and he was a lawman first, dwarf second.
Also, his idealism is a huge part of the watch reforming into an effective police force, rather than just a handful of jaded old men trying to keep their heads down and survive until payday

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
I hadn't heard from this in awhile since black ''Sybil'' was revealed and Rhianna Pratchett wasn't 'actively involved' in The Watch anymore, but it just turns out the trashfire was just burning underground.

At this point, I'd have been happy with a really mediocre Discworld adaption, as it's one of my favourite series, but we ended up with this and it's likely one of the last we'll ever get.

It's a bit sad really. Rate me mad on the internet if you'd like.

Oh, and they genderswapped Lupine Wonse and Dr.Cruces...just because?

Kane Lives

Peace through power
kiwifarms.net
So there is confirmation that Angua is now Carrot's superior and mentor.

Well, that just changes their entire dynamic. And the dynamic of the setting and timeline. This is less feeling like it was inspired by Discworld and more like 'we kinda faintly ran our slimey woke hands over the spine of some books and decided we could do better than a writer who had 30+ novels under his belt'.
Horrific.

Everything I read about this makes me mad at the internet.

Fuck off you fucking tranny cocksuckers. Leave PTerry's legacy alone.

knightlautrec

Keh heh heh heh…
kiwifarms.net
At this point, I'd have been happy with a really mediocre Discworld adaption, as it's one of my favourite series, but we ended up with this and it's likely one of the last we'll ever get.

Well - we had Colour of Magic, Hogfather (which is the best imo) and Going Postal. The last one cut out a lot from the books like the Golems subplot to streamline it's focus and it wasn't awful. Moist was a little aggressive imo but he did a decent job and Charles Dance as Vetenari despite being ginger had the countenance and gravitas one would expect of the Patrician.

And that's the thing. You wanna gender swap characters you fundamentally change everything about them to their core in terms of experience and personality. Men are not women just genderswapped nor are women just men without the dick. We may not have different brains (contrary to troon insistence) but we do have different gender roles, horomones and social factors that just outright make us different in temperament, aims and experiences. We live very different lives in unison and harmony to one another.

So if you're asking me to swallow that if Havelock Vetenari was born a woman, they would do all the same things in his life including offing Lord Snapcase, allowing himself to be openly poisoned, spiderwebbing the political system to rig it ALL in his favour to make himself the sole deciding factor, that's like a horse tranq of a pill. I don't buy it that 'Lady' Vetenari would be anywhere near to what the reality of the actual character is.

It's like they don't think at all beyond scoring woke points. They don't give any consideration to actual characterisation. Fuck, I'm just silly tabletop RP nerd and not even a writer and I realise you can't just slap a different gender or ethnicity on a character and have them just be the same. That's not how society and people function. It's insulting it's so transparent the agenda.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Y'know I'm not seeing any of the fantasy in this. Where's Detritus? Cuddy? Igor? Nobby Nobbs for fucks sake? Theres no dwarfs, trolls, vampires, etc. Is Angua (and god the miscasting is painful. It would've been better to pick a stunningly gorgeous black woman if you wanted to swap rather than a crack addict looking white woman) even a werewolf? Cheery makes me cry, her arc was perfect in confronting others bigotry and recognizing one's own as written, I'm sure this versions will be horribly patronizing at best.

Why the fuck did they make Sybil a skinny woman? She's always described as large, both physically and in presence.