Votes: 37 30.1%

Votes: 9 7.3%

Votes: 15 12.2%

Votes: 11 8.9%

Votes: 51 41.5%

• Total voters

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Apparently it's self driving according to Teslafags, so no need for something as stupid as side mirrors, either that or it will have side cameras? Just...why? I don't understand the appeal of self driving vehicles for personal use or "reinventing the wheel" by not putting mirrors.
You can watch Harry Potter while your car decides to an hero and swerve under a tractor trailer.

Everything about that truck looks like chintzy shit. The extendo-tailgate is going to bend or break after a few years or one load that's a bit too heavy and then it'll never close right, there's absolutely no reason for those A-pillars to be extended all the way to the nose and that fucking wide, blocking your view to 10 and 2 o-clock. The wheel arches look like a joke, is that Pepakura or what?

Also - how good are electric cars currently in regards to mud, water, and dust? Trucks are often used in a slightly more utilitarian way than regular cars.

All in all shit, trash and garbage.

Mein Garten

Mad Cat - Purry road
kiwifarms.net
Everything about that truck looks like chintzy shit. The extendo-tailgate is going to bend or break after a few years or one load that's a bit too heavy and then it'll never close right, there's absolutely no reason for those A-pillars to be extended all the way to the nose and that fucking wide, blocking your view to 10 and 2 o-clock. The wheel arches look like a joke, is that Pepakura or what?

Also - how good are electric cars currently in regards to mud, water, and dust? Trucks are often used in a slightly more utilitarian way than regular cars.

Also, your knees look like they are apart of the crumple zone. Either that or the front axel is going to take a good brunt of the force in a front end collision.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Oh god the Cybertruck still has those SUCK IN SEAMLESS Door Handles.

The type that EMTs and Firemen can't open so you're fucked in a crash. Teslas in a wreck won't have the door handles pop open, so you're kinda fucked on getting out since every single piece of rescue equipment is not intended for that one very specific door type.

Slimy Time

Rape Face #5, I think...
kiwifarms.net

This isn't a truck for real off-road truck users, it's for hipster fags who love Tesla and Musk and can't drive for shit so they get the car to do it for them.

Honestly I would love to see how his self driving cars interact on Euro roads with a roundabout every 500 meters.

AN/ALR56

Meu avô era do DOPS
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I disagree with people on the looks.
Tesla is a newcomer, in the age where aerodynamics and soccer mom's made cars look like bars of soap since the 90's and only now we are seeing some different designs like slightly more angular headlights and tailights, it's refreshing to see something new, especially with the mass nostalgia for the 80's and the cyberpunk aesthetic that has slowly gone mainstream.
[QUOTE="Varg Did Nothing Wrong, post: 5642678, member: 12598"

[/QUOTE]
In theory, since the battery and engine are sealed, it would be more resistant, NASA's mars robots worked for decades in mars with no major reliability problems, in ww2 people experimented with electrical transmission in tanks, so that they could in theory be plugged into another tank with a diesel engine providing power and drive through the floor of a river without it's diesel gassing the crew, they didn't do this due to the huge costs of a engine needing copper in a war.
The battery is sealed, but if exposed to water, it could be a major explosion and fire risk, just pierce your old phone's battery and drop some water on it.
The main problem is the wiring and electronic components, if the this thing was just a husk with a electric engine and battery, it could work for decades with no problems, but full of complex stuff, cameras and sensors? I don't think so.

In theory, since the battery and engine are sealed, it would be more resistant, NASA's mars robots worked for decades in mars with no major reliability problems, in ww2 people experimented with electrical transmission in tanks, so that they could in theory be plugged into another tank with a diesel engine providing power and drive through the floor of a river without it's diesel gassing the crew, they didn't do this due to the huge costs of a engine needing copper in a war.
The battery is sealed, but if exposed to water, it could be a major explosion and fire risk, just pierce your old phone's battery and drop some water on it.
The main problem is the wiring and electronic components, if the this thing was just a husk with a electric engine and battery, it could work for decades with no problems, but full of complex stuff, cameras and sensors? I don't think so.
You fucked up quoting me so I never got this response.

1. NASA's rovers weren't really used in what I'd call an extremely rugged environment. There's no rainfall on Mars, so humidity is extremely low, meaning there's very little chance of oxidation occurring. All you really need to protect them from is ingress of dust because dust + wind is a thing that happens on Mars.

2. You have to dissipate heat somehow. I would imagine that a motor(s) powerful enough to push a 2 ton truck AND tow a load causes some serious heating of the battery pack + the motors themselves. Completely sealed batteries and motors cannot dissipate heat very well so you necessarily need to have a compromise between perfect weatherproofing and adequate cooling.

As far as I know in WW2 the Germans were the main people experimenting with electric drive tanks (Porsche designed King Tiger prototype) but they never worked out. There's a reason that system has really only seen success in railroad locomotives and ships/subs, I think.

My main question was about just how weatherproof the Cybertruck's powertrain really is. On any current truck, you can reasonably expect it to be able to ford rivers up to the point where the air intake begins to suck in water (deeper with a snorkel system) and not suffer terribly. This is because the axles and drivetrain are not vital to the functioning of the truck - even if they do leak some water past the seals, all you really get is milky oil from water contamination. Drain it and change the oil and you're Gucci. With wheel-mounted electric motors if your seals leak some water past, your motor is probably going to be toast in short order. Going through mud, road salt, etc degrades those seals or can cause grit particles to get stuck between the seal and the shaft, letting water get in there more easily.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Both the lack of mirrors and the way the decorative headlight band doesn't actually work as headlights keeps this from being street worthy in the US.

And I really, reeeeeeaaaally want to see the NTSB crash tests, because it looks to have zero crumple zones from the front. This is a concept car that will never be sold as is.

Also there is a bit of fuckery with the preorders. All you needed was to pay a refundable $100 to be a pre-order. Note the refundable part. There's no guarantee that any of those pre-orders will be actual sales, vs. people trying to game the stock by placing a order to try and increase the stock price.

Last edited:

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Both the lack of mirrors and the way the decorative headlight band doesn't actually work as headlights keeps this from being street worthy in the US.

And I really, reeeeeeaaaally want to see the NTSB crash tests, because it looks to have zero crumple zones from the front. This is a concept car that will never be sold as is.

Also there is a bit of fuckery with the preorders. All you needed was to pay a refundable $100 to be a pre-order. Note the refundable part. There's no guarantee that any of those pre-orders will be actual sales, vs. people trying to game the stock by placing a order to try and increase the stock price.
Well that explains why they've gotten so many. Didn't past pre-orders requires at least $1k? Yeah, sounds like a stock game.

AN/ALR56

Meu avô era do DOPS
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You fucked up quoting me so I never got this response.

1. NASA's rovers weren't really used in what I'd call an extremely rugged environment. There's no rainfall on Mars, so humidity is extremely low, meaning there's very little chance of oxidation occurring. All you really need to protect them from is ingress of dust because dust + wind is a thing that happens on Mars.

2. You have to dissipate heat somehow. I would imagine that a motor(s) powerful enough to push a 2 ton truck AND tow a load causes some serious heating of the battery pack + the motors themselves. Completely sealed batteries and motors cannot dissipate heat very well so you necessarily need to have a compromise between perfect weatherproofing and adequate cooling.

As far as I know in WW2 the Germans were the main people experimenting with electric drive tanks (Porsche designed King Tiger prototype) but they never worked out. There's a reason that system has really only seen success in railroad locomotives and ships/subs, I think.

My main question was about just how weatherproof the Cybertruck's powertrain really is. On any current truck, you can reasonably expect it to be able to ford rivers up to the point where the air intake begins to suck in water (deeper with a snorkel system) and not suffer terribly. This is because the axles and drivetrain are not vital to the functioning of the truck - even if they do leak some water past the seals, all you really get is milky oil from water contamination. Drain it and change the oil and you're Gucci. With wheel-mounted electric motors if your seals leak some water past, your motor is probably going to be toast in short order. Going through mud, road salt, etc degrades those seals or can cause grit particles to get stuck between the seal and the shaft, letting water get in there more easily.
Dust is still deadly, specially during 10 years of continuous use.
Battery overheating is kinda not a issue, unless you plan to continuously ford a river for hours, even so i think water flowing past the a metal casing is better to transfer heat than air.
About the seals, we will not know until someone tests those engines to the death.
The main problem is electronics, your F-150 is already filled with chips and stuff that would prevent the engine from even turning if they aren't working.
People in my region use 1940's electric water pumps for their wells that are working 24/7 since their grandfather bought it.

Anyway if you guys loved the cybertruck, you'd love GURGEL.
An product of our import restrictions in the 1965-1990 period, Gurgel was a former engineer of Volkswagen trying to design vehicles for our shitty road conditions and that a Brazilian could afford with a 100$/month salary:
192owb4o991pkjpg.jpg

192owdtcm7q8pjpg.jpg

192owtxfrq541jpg.jpg

192ox08cboouyjpg.jpg

Unfourtunatly, despite being a excellent engineer, he was a complete moron at doing business:
It was first sold in 1988 in a system where the buyer had to acquire shares from Gurgel in order to buy the car. The car cost about $5,000, but the buyer had to buy 750 shares for another $5,000 in order to get a car - making it considerably more expensive than a $7,000 Chevrolet Chevette, the then cheapest car in the Brazilian market.[3] This system lasted until 1990, when the car was sold independently of the shares.

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Commonly used in heavy haul mining trucks. Pictured- a vehicle that will never be clean again.
1575072644862.png

Breddy cool. Love a rear-engined compact car.

AN/ALR56

Meu avô era do DOPS
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Commonly used in heavy haul mining trucks. Pictured- a vehicle that will never be clean again.
View attachment 1030350

Breddy cool. Love a rear-engined compact car.
They are very cheap,less than 5k$ now
You could import one into the US.
It has developed a cult following here, people have made mud monsters out of gurgels to go on adventures and stuff.

AsbestosFlaygon

Joe Biden = Jimmy Savile
kiwifarms.net
The Cybertruck doesn't seem that attractive outside of hardcore Tesla fans, for what it is it's good I guess, but it's basically a very high-end light pickup. Considering that its pricing is apparently closer to heavy pickups than light pickups I'd think that anyone who has the money and actually wants something practical will get a heavy pickup instead of the Tesla, I really don't see how this is going to be a success for them.

zyclonPD

kiwifarms.net

Yo anybody optimistic about this re tarded truck you should watch this video series these guys did trying to tow 2 light trailers with a model X from California to Colorado. TL;DR they found it could use almost 60% of the battery in less than 60 miles trying to tow the 1500 lb. Light camper they had. Tesla's cyber truck is not going to even perform as a truck. It's a failure waiting to happen which is only fueled by people's optimism for Elon Musk.

It does not have the gear ratio neccesary to tow any loads. The need for a transmission and gear ratios becomes abundantly clear watching the Model X try to tow up hill. It expends way too much power reaching over 11,000 kwph trying to keep it's acceleration on an uphill instead of naturally loosing it to conserve energy and torque.

I also think the modern consumer isn't going to like the estenics of it. Trucks don't "look like eggs". They are rounding the corners a bit for aerodynamics but the design of modern pickups has evolved via consumers choice for several decades now. Most people aren't going to jive with a total departure of that form factor for the sake of being different.

View attachment 1030350
That's a hybrid. https://www.wired.com/2013/10/worlds-largest-dumptruck/ there's a big difference in an electric drive train powered by a generator and one powered by batteries.

Dust is still deadly, specially during 10 years of continuous use.
Battery overheating is kinda not a issue, unless you plan to continuously ford a river for hours, even so i think water flowing past the a metal casing is better to transfer heat than air.
About the seals, we will not know until someone tests those engines to the death.
We already have Tesla cars overheating and burning up like matches due to the battery. https://www.thedrive.com/news/28420/parked-teslas-keep-catching-on-fire-randomly-and-theres-no-recall-in-sight

Are you just delusional? Your phone heats up if you do too many tasks on it in an hour. How do you think a battery bank is going to do on the grapevine in California pulling any load whatsoever. Remember it is a (truck). People are going to pull more than their own fat asses in it.

Lithium ion battteries Don't handle large energy consumption well and you can achieve that in much simpler ways that "fording a river".

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Also, your knees look like they are apart of the crumple zone. Either that or the front axel is going to take a good brunt of the force in a front end collision.
Yet another of Elon Musk's "lol let's kill our fucking customers" ideas. At least when Steve Blowjobs did shit like that it was something silly like just having one button, not something that literally kills you.

Tags
None