Texas House OK’s bill to ban plant-based foods from using ‘meat’ and ‘beef’ in names

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

Steelersfan22

Gay Redneck
kiwifarms.net
MSN Article

AUSTIN — Plant-based and other meatless products could be accused of misleading consumers under a bill approved in the Texas House on Monday.

Texas is the latest state to debate measures that would prohibit foods that don’t contain animal products from using words like “meat” or “beef” in their name. The bill, which was approved after a brief but divisive debate, needs one more vote to advance to the Texas Senate.
Rep. Brad Buckley said his bill would protect consumers, including vegetarians and vegans, from buying something by mistake.

“This is for those who choose to eat meat, but it’s also for those who choose to not eat meat,” said Buckley, a Killeen Republican who also helps run a small cattle operation, according to The Austin-American Statesman.

House Bill 316 would prohibit products derived from insects, plants or cell cultures, which come from in vitro animal cells harvested in the lab and not slaughtered animals, from using the terms “meat,” “pork,” “poultry product” and “beef” in their names. Using these words could result in a company being accused of misleading the consumer.

The bill would not bar these products from using broader terms, like “burger.”

Bills like these have cropped up in several states as products like Beyond Meat and Impossible Burgers have gained in popularity. Many of those that have become law have been attacked in the courts for violating the free speech rights of the company.

Those from the livestock industry, including the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, Texas Poultry Federation and Texas Pork Producers Association, support the bill. It’s opposed by Beyond Meat, Impossible Burger and related organizations like the Plant Based Foods Association and Alliance for Plant Based Inclusion.

Those who raised questions about the legislation during debate Monday came from opposite sides of the political divide.

Rep. Gene Wu, a Democrat from Houston, said he worried the bill would open the state up to unnecessary litigation. Fredericksburg’s Kyle Biedermann, far right Republican, said he was in favor of the bill but worried it represented governmental overreach on private business.

“There shouldn’t be a need to have to legislate more regulation of these other companies when it seems their packaging is pretty clear,” Biedermann said.

“Our goal here today with this bill is to have clear and accurate labeling so the consumer has no doubt what they’re purchasing,” Buckley responded. “The most frequent call I’ve gotten is from vegetarians that are for this bill.”

He added, “it is not anti-plant based, anti-cell culture.”

The bill will likely be brought up for debate again Tuesday.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As its should be.

Milkis

new feeling of soda beverage
kiwifarms.net
I recently ordered from a new butcher's in town called Very Good and it was only after the fucking "burger" arrived that I realized it was "V.G" as in "vegan". They made no indication whatsoever that they were a vegan butcher or that their products weren't made of meat. If every fucking vegan "food" wasn't an attempt to recreate meat, or equivalently if vegans weren't such shifty fucks (I'm not picky), this wouldn't have happened. But as it was my disappointment was immeasurable and my day was ruined

StraightShooter2

kiwifarms.net
MSN Article

AUSTIN — Plant-based and other meatless products could be accused of misleading consumers under a bill approved in the Texas House on Monday.

Texas is the latest state to debate measures that would prohibit foods that don’t contain animal products from using words like “meat” or “beef” in their name. The bill, which was approved after a brief but divisive debate, needs one more vote to advance to the Texas Senate.
Rep. Brad Buckley said his bill would protect consumers, including vegetarians and vegans, from buying something by mistake.

“This is for those who choose to eat meat, but it’s also for those who choose to not eat meat,” said Buckley, a Killeen Republican who also helps run a small cattle operation, according to The Austin-American Statesman.

House Bill 316 would prohibit products derived from insects, plants or cell cultures, which come from in vitro animal cells harvested in the lab and not slaughtered animals, from using the terms “meat,” “pork,” “poultry product” and “beef” in their names. Using these words could result in a company being accused of misleading the consumer.

The bill would not bar these products from using broader terms, like “burger.”

Bills like these have cropped up in several states as products like Beyond Meat and Impossible Burgers have gained in popularity. Many of those that have become law have been attacked in the courts for violating the free speech rights of the company.

Those from the livestock industry, including the Texas & Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, Texas Poultry Federation and Texas Pork Producers Association, support the bill. It’s opposed by Beyond Meat, Impossible Burger and related organizations like the Plant Based Foods Association and Alliance for Plant Based Inclusion.

Those who raised questions about the legislation during debate Monday came from opposite sides of the political divide.

Rep. Gene Wu, a Democrat from Houston, said he worried the bill would open the state up to unnecessary litigation. Fredericksburg’s Kyle Biedermann, far right Republican, said he was in favor of the bill but worried it represented governmental overreach on private business.

“There shouldn’t be a need to have to legislate more regulation of these other companies when it seems their packaging is pretty clear,” Biedermann said.

“Our goal here today with this bill is to have clear and accurate labeling so the consumer has no doubt what they’re purchasing,” Buckley responded. “The most frequent call I’ve gotten is from vegetarians that are for this bill.”

He added, “it is not anti-plant based, anti-cell culture.”

The bill will likely be brought up for debate again Tuesday.

----------------------------------------------------------------

As its should be.
Sounds good to me; the only odd thing is that I don't see how it aids vegetarians or vegans - since it basically means that vegetarian product can't be advertised as meat, rather than the other way around (e.x. meat products can't be advertised as vegetarian products).

CrippleThreat

At least my third leg is still working.
kiwifarms.net
as products like Beyond Meat and Impossible Burgers have gained in popularity.
Some of these meat products' names sound as if they are high-end and may be fully meat just from how grand they appear. How do you even idiot-proof something like this? Imagine watching an ad and seeing either name pop up. You would believe that this must be another one of those "greatest burger in the world, better than the rest" deals the ad is trying to sell.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Sounds good to me; the only odd thing is that I don't see how it aids vegetarians or vegans - since it basically means that vegetarian product can't be advertised as meat, rather than the other way around (e.x. meat products can't be advertised as vegetarian products).
People can be dumb. They'll look at something named "Beyond Meat" and think it's meat, so they don't even take the time to read the rest of the label to see it's vegan (yes, I've actually had this happen). Though the fact that it still allows for the word "burger" to be used means it probably won't help as much as it could.

Rusty Crab

cowboy hats are crab hats
kiwifarms.net
People can be dumb. They'll look at something named "Beyond Meat" and think it's meat, so they don't even take the time to read the rest of the label to see it's vegan (yes, I've actually had this happen). Though the fact that it still allows for the word "burger" to be used means it probably won't help as much as it could.
It's actually worse than that. A lot of times products like that will be miscategorized in grocery stores and the workers will simply refuse to look into it, so you end up with 'beyond meat' in the packaged meats section next to all the real ones. I've seen the same thing happen a lot with wheat breads ending up in gluten free isles and vice-versa

Marissa Moira

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's actually worse than that. A lot of times products like that will be miscategorized in grocery stores and the workers will simply refuse to look into it, so you end up with 'beyond meat' in the packaged meats section next to all the real ones. I've seen the same thing happen a lot with wheat breads ending up in gluten free isles and vice-versa
There's also the fact that shitload of vegan products throw nuts into stuff as filler. People with nut allergies have accidently bought stuff thinking it's meat and not realizing it.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
I don't know if it's true at all grocery stores, but the ones near me, including the one I work at, place the Beyond Meat and Impossible Burgers next to the ground beef and fresh sausage. I think it's something they actually pay the stores to do. So in the case of those products, it's much easier for the confusion to happen because of that.

Rusty Crab

cowboy hats are crab hats
kiwifarms.net
I don't know if it's true at all grocery stores, but the ones near me, including the one I work at, place the Beyond Meat and Impossible Burgers next to the ground beef and fresh sausage. I think it's something they actually pay the stores to do. So in the case of those products, it's much easier for the confusion to happen because of that.
Around here imitation meats will generally get their own special section. However, health food is a big craze here that they can make bank off of... so yeah it might just depend on the region.

Absolutego

Lay Down Upon This Heap of Orange
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I fucking hate the concept of imitation meat. It's pure cope. If you're going to be vegan just fucking eat your bean paste, don't call it "vegan meatloaf." Be who you are.
Seriously. I can enjoy a black bean burger on its own merits, but pretty much every fake beef product is the food equivalent of a sad handy over a proper lay.

Bassomatic

HOW DO I KNOW YOU'RE NOT MAKAROV
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If you do some knock offs but admit it that's ok but never try to sell as is.

I have a vegetarian in my fam, and when we go out for Americanized chinese they get gen tso's tofu, SHIT IS BOMB. But it's not meat.

Some bean burgers are great, there's one from morning star farms, I'll eat when I'm cutting, it's delish, but it's not a hamburger.

I'm really ok with this because I think in ways a mixed blessing showing how you can make a vegan/veggie meal thats good, but it's not really what it is.

Aside that, I don't want to see relabling ok, any crappy italian restaurant pounds pork thin and calls it "veal" same thing, I don't want to see door open when a bean burger costing 63 cents gets charged as much as a half lb of usda choice ground beef you know?

CheesyBoy

Don't worry, I also hate myself.
kiwifarms.net
I recently ordered from a new butcher's in town called Very Good and it was only after the fucking "burger" arrived that I realized it was "V.G" as in "vegan". They made no indication whatsoever that they were a vegan butcher or that their products weren't made of meat. If every fucking vegan "food" wasn't an attempt to recreate meat, or equivalently if vegans weren't such shifty fucks (I'm not picky), this wouldn't have happened. But as it was my disappointment was immeasurable and my day was ruined
Vegan/vegetarian food would be better received if it wasn't imitating meat. You ever had a veggie burger eve close to as good as a beef or turkey burger? HELL NO!

Falafel is vegan (technically vegetarian if you get yogurt sauce on it) and not pretending to be meat, and it's the fucking bomb!

Neigh

Jeffery Eggstein
kiwifarms.net
We have people shitting on Subway for their bread not meeting the definition in some state due to sugar content or something.
We have "cheese product".
We have "dairy product".
We have "alcoholic beverages" like Arbor Mist that consist of flavoring and alcohol. Arbor mist would likely love to label their alcoholic fruit juices "wine" to attract more wine women.
No one cares about these. Methinks the people suing are the companies themselves, using veganism and freeze peach to protect their bottom line. I think they know they are fooling people into purchasing their product and rely on that business on top of nutcase vegans wanting the meat labeling.

Devyn

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Probably vegans who were feeling shit about their lifestyle but don't want to turn it around since it'll prove the trolls and haters right
I believe that a lot of vegans and vegetarians really do choose to eat/live that way out of a genuine (futile) desire not to contribute in any way to animal suffering, but humans evolved to consume animals so their bodies will always crave it regardless. After awhile they'll desperately seek out anything that even vaguely reminds them of animal products, it's equally sad and hilarious:

Shitty processed imitation "beef" must look absolutely amazing compared to anything they could cobble together themselves
plantbased.PNG

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I believe that a lot of vegans and vegetarians really do choose to eat/live that way out of a genuine (futile) desire not to contribute in any way to animal suffering, but humans evolved to consume animals so their bodies will always crave it regardless. After awhile they'll desperately seek out anything that even vaguely reminds them of animal products, it's equally sad and hilarious:
View attachment 2159990
Shitty processed imitation "beef" must look absolutely amazing compared to anything they could cobble together themselves
View attachment 2160002
One thing I find ironic about a lot of the dumb meat stand-in recipes that vegans come up with is that most people (myself included) don't actually use them to replace meat in a meal. They just use them as a stand-in for the salad because it's less boring.