Texas House OK’s bill to ban plant-based foods from using ‘meat’ and ‘beef’ in names

• Registration is closed without referral. This is a website about Internet drama.

We need a 3PL

SiccDicc

The Defenestrator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Texas might have a law making it illegal to defame beef... if so, just lock the fuckers up with that. All done.

Gar For Archer

ne of my swo
kiwifarms.net
If you do some knock offs but admit it that's ok but never try to sell as is.

I have a vegetarian in my fam, and when we go out for Americanized chinese they get gen tso's tofu, SHIT IS BOMB. But it's not meat.

Some bean burgers are great, there's one from morning star farms, I'll eat when I'm cutting, it's delish, but it's not a hamburger.

I'm really ok with this because I think in ways a mixed blessing showing how you can make a vegan/veggie meal thats good, but it's not really what it is.

Aside that, I don't want to see relabling ok, any crappy italian restaurant pounds pork thin and calls it "veal" same thing, I don't want to see door open when a bean burger costing 63 cents gets charged as much as a half lb of usda choice ground beef you know?
I’ve had some great vegetarian recipes, but you know what’s common to all of them?

They’re just recipes that happen to not contain any meat. None of this imitation bull crap.

Merrick

Gaige Grosskreutz still swims in a circle
kiwifarms.net
If you do some knock offs but admit it that's ok but never try to sell as is.

I have a vegetarian in my fam, and when we go out for Americanized chinese they get gen tso's tofu, SHIT IS BOMB. But it's not meat.

Some bean burgers are great, there's one from morning star farms, I'll eat when I'm cutting, it's delish, but it's not a hamburger.

I'm really ok with this because I think in ways a mixed blessing showing how you can make a vegan/veggie meal thats good, but it's not really what it is.

Aside that, I don't want to see relabling ok, any crappy italian restaurant pounds pork thin and calls it "veal" same thing, I don't want to see door open when a bean burger costing 63 cents gets charged as much as a half lb of usda choice ground beef you know?
I fucking hate it when I go to a steakhouse and they claim the beef is "prime" when it's not. I always ask them to specify if it's USDA prime, and they say yes anyway.

Xarpho

plz no bully
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If California can stick every consumer product with "this product has a carcinogen somewhere" and Vermont can do "this product contains genetically modified ingredients", then suck it, Texas can do it too.

For what it's worth, though, this mostly affects Beyond Meat, and most other vegan items are already labeled differently, like a vegan food truck (in Austin, of course), selling "bac'n cheezeburgers".

Capsaicin Addict

Now see here you little shit.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I’ve had some great vegetarian recipes, but you know what’s common to all of them?

They’re just recipes that happen to not contain any meat. None of this imitation bull crap.
Yeap. I don't object to the occasional vegetarian meal myself, but the list of ingredients for pseudomeat is longer than my fuckin' arm. And they want to lecture us on how eating meat isn't natural?

Oddjob OTP

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can they get these fuckers too while they're at it? They are clearly marketing secure in the knowledge that Americans won't read anything in less then 18pt font.

1622469528968.png

Spiny Rumples

kiwifarms.net
House Bill 316 would prohibit products derived from insects, plants or cell cultures, which come from in vitro animal cells harvested in the lab and not slaughtered animals, from using the terms “meat,” “pork,” “poultry product” and “beef” in their names. Using these words could result in a company being accused of misleading the consumer.

I hope they start banning bug substitutes next.

Proof that people just don't read. We need to protect them.

WonderWino

kiwifarms.net
I fucking hate it when I go to a steakhouse and they claim the beef is "prime" when it's not. I always ask them to specify if it's USDA prime, and they say yes anyway.
Speaking of that kind of stupidity, that reminds me of a dumbshit waitress I met on pof awhile back who suggested she cook homemade prime rib for dinner instead of going to a restaurant. Sounds like a good idea right?

Imagine my surprise when the horrifyingly fake looking greyish colored 'prime rib' she made turned out to be some horrifying dollarstore tier quality piece of meat that she thought was 'prime rib' because 'I bought it on amazon prime last week!' despite the fact that a) amazon prime is a streaming service and b) buying food on amazon doesn't make it 'prime' cause you happen to have a prime subscription

I suspect the people running the average restaurant wouldn't know what USDA prime actually meant if they were asked, let alone the waiter staff. They just say yes cause they have no idea and don't want to be bothered to ask someone else who likely couldn't say for sure either