That hip hop thread... -

Lefty's Revenge

Sexy Alien Man
kiwifarms.net
Hey guys, so I'm a fan of all music (except country) but I'm probably most into hip hop. Curious if we have any other hip hop heads here.

So lets do something to kick off the conversation here. Any self respecting hip hop fan has been asked the infamous top 5 question.

So gimme your all time top 5 favorite (we can argue about quality later) MCs and your top 5 MCs in the game right now.

In no particular order I'd say my all time favorites are

- MF Doom
- Andre 3000
- Jadakiss
- Pharoahe Monch
- Kendrick Lamar

Today:

- Kendrick Lamar
- Childish Gambino
- Kanye West
- Chance the Rapper
- J. Cole

Jonzun

Official 5th best poster on the Kiwi Farms
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm not very into hip hop or rap at all, but Del the Funky Homosapien is a national treasure:
I also really liked his collaborations with Gorillaz:
You should definitely check out the debut Deltron 3030 album if you haven't done so; the first album was recorded at the same time Dan The Automator and Kid Koala were working on the Gorillaz debut so they have a very similar sound.

In regards to OP I'm going to cop out of listing my top 5 MCs and list recommended hip hop records for newcomers instead (clicking the album title should link to the album on Spotify). Besides, we all know emceeing is only one of the four elements of hip hop anyway :tomgirl:

• Various - Rawkus Presents Soundbombing II: One of the best compilations released, showcasing the talent present in the late 90's underground hip hop scene without the unnecessary inclusion of pretentious backpackers.
  • Madvillain - Madvillainy: Pretty much every person I've known to previously dislike hip hop has had their heads turned by this record. MF DOOM's flows are all over the place yet completely focused, which goes perfectly with Madlib's crazy yet genius sampling techniques.
  • Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet: Most people instantly go for It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back, but I'd personally give Fear Of A Black Planet a listen first as it's where the collaboration between Chuck D and The Bomb Squad was at their most focused, truly showcasing the confrontational sound which makes Public Enemy so great.
  • Dälek - Absence: Great introductory record for those who are into metal or shoegaze; probably the noisiest hip hop record released. The fact it was released on the label owned by Faith No More's Mike Patton should give a good indication of what to expect on this record:
  • J Dilla - Donuts: 40 years of soul showcased in the space of 45 minutes, Dilla here was at his prime and created possibly the best instrumental hip hop album made (with DJ Shadow's Endtroducing... as a close second). Pretty much every 'wonky' hip hop producer since has tried to replicate this album (and failed, miserably).
  • OutKast - Stankonia: OutKast have always been outsiders in hip hop and have exploited this since day one. They simply don't give a fuck and are content doing their own thing, which is what makes this record so great. If you're a fan of Jimi Hendrix or George Clinton, definitely check this album out first.
  • Roots Manuva - Brand New Second Hand: Great introduction to hip hop from the UK, although Roots definitely stands on his own without having to be attributed to the UK hip hop scene. The lo-fi dub-style goes perfectly with Roots Manuva's ability to juxtapose his relaxed flow with fucked up subject matter, although this album is definitely his most accessible.
  • De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising: Whilst this album lyrically might not the most technically impressive, it's definitely one of the most fun albums of any genre to listen to. Is also a great guide to which records to seek out if you're interested in crate diggin' as there's some great records which were sampled on this album.
  • Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers): Anyone who loves Shaw Brothers-era kung-fu movies should love this, partly due to trying to guess all the films sampled on this record. Not only that but Wu-Tang are the epitome of how poetic hardcore hip hop can be; the rhymes are a million times more intelligent than what they initially appear to be on the surface.
If anyone wants more recommendations / add some more / complain my list is utter shite feel free to hit me up.

Last edited:

KingGeedorah

The Monster From Planet X
kiwifarms.net
Dude idk if it's just me but I don't get Death Grips.

Like everything on that is killer. Then you have like protohardcore, lo-fi nonsense that is DG.

Like Wu- Tang vs Death Grips sounds like two completely removed genres of music. It's like saying Slayer and Willie Nelson are both rock and roll.

Chrisaroonie

kiwifarms.net
You should definitely check out the debut Deltron 3030 album if you haven't done so; the first album was recorded at the same time Dan The Automator and Kid Koala were working on the Gorillaz debut so they have a very similar sound.[/spoiler]
Awesome. I'd heard good things about Deltron but hadn't checked them out yet. Will definitely do that soon.

And since you both mentioned them, I do like at least one Death Grips song that I've heard:

It's the drums that I really dig on this track.

Jonzun

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dude idk if it's just me but I don't get Death Grips.

Like everything on that is killer. Then you have like protohardcore, lo-fi nonsense that is DG.

Like Wu- Tang vs Death Grips sounds like two completely removed genres of music. It's like saying Slayer and Willie Nelson are both rock and roll.
I can see where you're coming from; to be fair I'm the type of person who would argue that The Beatnigs or even this is hip hop pushed to its logical extreme so take my definition of hip hop with a pinch of salt. ;)

If you're not a fan of Death Grips substitute The Money Store with Run The Jewels 2 instead for a good idea where hip hop is heading.

Metal Sink

Faggot
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

EDIT: Severely underated trill artist y'all should check out:

Last edited:

MACH-IV

DO NOT DOWNVOTE
kiwifarms.net
I enjoy cLOUDDEAD
Fuck yea. That's one of my favorite albums and Ten is really good too.
I haven't been following any Anticon musicians for a while, but Why? used to be my favorite band (and rapper). I love Yoni's lyrics.

Man, Lil B gets a lot of love but he doesn't get the respect he deserves. People don't realize how many trends he created. He's a great example of person who leads, but doesn't get recognized as a leader. Almost every currently relevant rapper has ripped off Based God at some point.

Last edited:

Jonzun

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just picked up Race Music by Armand Hammer after realising I have hardly any hip hop records released during the past 10 years. Seriously impressed so far, any other records recently released I should be checking out?

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino