That hip hop thread... -

Technetium

kiwifarms.net
It seems Royce da 5'9" actually mentored Clear Soul Forces, I just read. But yeah CSF are clearly influenced by the Dilla sound.

There's some nice stuff on the Fat Beats Records label, for example this album by Masta Ace and Marco Polo

I massively prefer this jazz-influenced kind of sound over the modern trap style.

• Agree
Reactions: The 8 of Spades

Stuck in Corners

guuurrrl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Discovered this rap group a couple of months ago called the LOX. These guys were signed to Bad Boy but due to contract issues, industry politics and the rejection of mainstream appeal Diddy pushed at them, they dropped and signed with the Ruff Ryders where there sound was heavy and grimier.

During Bad Boy:

Ruff Ryder era:

tantric_depressive

Be kind, REEEEEE
kiwifarms.net
I love this Snubnose album, so I checked to see what else Grip's put out, and his debut album was also a concept album :
It's awesome too ::
Just a recent Vinnie Paz song I like that has 2 dope newer rappers featuring on it :
This dude Jay Nice is awesome too. He got one of my favorite voices out of all the newest underground rappers :

Coleman Francis

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I always liked these guys since I first heard them on a Master P compilation album back in the day:
They were on this album with a lot of other rap guys:

Down_South_Hustlers.jpg
Because of that, I remember everybody thinking they were from here (N.O) for a little while until we found out they were actually from Flint, Michigan. Lots of drug references in their music, but not the usual heroin and marijuana references that we were used to , they were the first rap guys I ever heard reference eating acid in their music. They have a line about "popping windowpane" in one of their songs. They also talk about robbing a hospital or a pharmacy in another song and taking all the pills. You didn't really hear about rap guys taking pills back then. They did of course but they weren't singing about it so much like they do now apparently. Kinda neat I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colonel Collateral

Ungrim Ironfist

Smoking Monkberry Moon Delight
kiwifarms.net
The new RTJ is out, for those interested. Killer Mike bores me but I've been a fan of El-P since the def jux days. Since we apparently can't get a new solo album from Jaime, this will have to do. Also more and more of the Def Jux catalogue is becoming available on streaming services which is great.

The 8 of Spades

The Internet is a Dangerous Place.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The new RTJ is out, for those interested. Killer Mike bores me but I've been a fan of El-P since the def jux days. Since we apparently can't get a new solo album from Jaime, this will have to do. Also more and more of the Def Jux catalogue is becoming available on streaming services which is great.

I guess I've got an excuse to post this then

• Winner
Reactions: Ungrim Ironfist

Ungrim Ironfist

Smoking Monkberry Moon Delight
kiwifarms.net
I guess I've got an excuse to post this then

He just has one of the best discographies in hiphop, if you include his production credits. Diverse as well. It's hard to believe that the guy who produced Fantastic Damage also produces RTJ. RTJ is absolutely fine and I'm glad that he's getting the recognition he deserves but he really needs to do a solo album again.

• Agree
Tags
None