That Metal Thread -

RichardMongler

kiwifarms.net
I wish more people listen to Deathspell Omega
Peste Noire > DSO

As much as "La sanie des siècles : Panégyrique de la dégénérescence" is a hipster darling, I wholeheartedly enjoy it track to track. Peste Noire's first release serves as an outstanding example of how Black Metal should evolve: not regurgitating Darkthrone/Burzum, but at the same time not losing sight of the genre's spirit and its whole preoccupation with the ancient and the pagan. Faggotry like Deathspell Omega and Sunbather painfully remind me of how Black Metal shouldn't have evolved. In the same way that there's some kind of spiritual parallel between Landser and Absurd, I'd bet anything Peste Noire took some cues from all these old French RAC bands like Légion 88 or Bunker 84. That baroque sense of melody, the silly hooligan ethos, the dungeon atmosphere and fetishism for all things Medieval and rustic in general, etc.

Unfortunately, Famile's ego was far too big for his ambitions. He's one of those cleverer-than-thou aesthetes who probably spent years fleshing out his incredibly personalized, specific philosophy/aesthetic before he even picked up his first guitar. How do you even describe his schtick without sounding like a douche? "Phantasmagorical rural gutter poetry?" "Medieval absurdism?" You don't. You only sound stupider with each attempt. When a moderately talented artist takes that approach, the debut ends up sounding like any other band's 4th album; "La Sanie..." isn't perfect, but it feels like the logical conclusion of a decade of development and shapeshifting, rather than a debut released a few years after the first demo.

Thus, there's nowhere for early bloomer bands like this to go except down. On Peste Noire's actual fourth release "L'ordure à L'état pur", the line between genuine outsider weirdness and McDada eroded and the band ended up sounding like a baguette version of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. I will admit there's something strangely charming about the whole affair and there are some occasions I will revisit the album, but I'm not surprised to see what a meme they've become in 2019. It was only a matter of time before they released something as awful as that last album from the year prior.

Luvs2Sperg789

me sperg you long time
kiwifarms.net
OK, it is hair metal from a 80's teen girl Sunset Strip group, but its still underground, mang. I'll have you know that that Marty fuckin' Friedman produced for this band too, you slanderous mocking trolls. Seriously tho, it is some good stuff. It is worth listening just for the guitar solos. RIP Michelle Meldrum.

ok, back to the TRVE

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ManateeHunter

Pitere pit

Do you like my car?
kiwifarms.net
Does anybody here listen to Raubtier? It's a Swedish metal group, think of Sabaton and Rammstein mixed up. This is one of my favorite song of them, it motivates me when I am down with the dumps and when I have some important thing to do.
I love Ex Deo too, start with I Caligvla, also, with Once We Were Romans.

• Winner
Reactions: ManateeHunter

Toilet Man

Whirlwind of Incoherent Bullshit
kiwifarms.net
The new Holocausto album is one of the most fucking savage metal albums in recent memory. Laying waste to all the atmo-pussies in the scene.

Luvs2Sperg789

me sperg you long time
kiwifarms.net
What am I missing? It just seems like basic blackened thrash with deviant art level cover art. It isn't bad, for sure; at the same time it isn't very memorable (for me at least).

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
I've been listening to more Slayer and I stumbled across their later stuff. One thing that surprises me is that Tom Arraya's voice got way higher than it was 30 years ago. Normally with metal singers, their voices get deeper with age. Even Rob Halford, master of high notes, has a deeper register these days. Arraya's the opposite and it's curious. It's not bad or anything, I kinda like it, but it's surprising.

RichardMongler

kiwifarms.net
Any thoughts on Folk Metal, Kiwis?

Late '90s / 2000s Folk Metal grew popular with people who liked the notion of Metal but weren't keen on bands traditionally celebrated by metalheads. Every defining facet from the ultra clean production values to the simple chugs and epic Power Metal riffs all catered to those people's tastes and sensibilities. Throw in some Paganism along with vague nods to ancestral heritage and you've got fans for life. Metalheads are split between loving and hating it. The Finnish scene is particularly divisive on account of its bouncy rhythms and fruity campfire vibe; bands like Korpiklaani who emphasized quantity over quality certainly didn't help.

To me, the history of the genre is quite fascinating. Even more remarkable is its diversity by region. A Folk Metal band from Russia, Ukraine or Belarus isn't going to sound like anything from Finland, Spain or the British Isles. Each band relies on their own cultural influences and their native Folk scene. Even the Metal riffs are going to be different from country to country. Bands whose riffs are based in Power Metal will sound quite distinct from those based in late Bathory-esque Viking Metal or Manowar-esque Heavy Metal.

Despite Folk Metal's distinct motifs and image forged by bands in Finland and Eastern Europe, some of the earliest known acts to fuse Folk instrumentation with Metal hailed from Spain and the British Isles. Progressive Rock / Heavy Metal band Ñu and their 1983 album Fuego might be the Godfather of Folk Metal. Take note of the flutes on the title track, "La bailarina", "Los caballeros de hierro" and "La dama de la carroza negra «Nessa»". Some of the tracks even have a xylophone thrown in:

That very band inspired Mägo de Oz, who in turn can be singlehandedly credited for bringing Celtic Metal to the Hispanosphere. Their earlier work was mostly folky Hard Rock with the occasional nod to Metal, but Jesús de Chamberí and especially La leyenda de La Mancha would define their career. On the latter album, you can hear the riffs cycle between bouncy Heavy Metal and straight up Power Metal with fiddles chiming in intermittently. It's unlikely the Finnish, Slavic or even British/Irish scenes heard these bands, but it's still a notable development:

Meanwhile at the British Isles, Steve Ramsey of Satan/Pariah and Martin Walkyier of Sabbat would form Skyclad. Early on, they were quite thrashy with some nods to Folk music, but the release of A Burnt Offering for the Bone Idol along with the EP Tracks from the Wilderness contributed greatly to the development of Celtic Folk Metal:

You also had Irish band Cruachan who were always known to fuse Metal with Celtic instrumentation. They started out playing Celtic Black Metal but gradually transitioned towards plain old Celtic Metal after recruiting Karen Gilligan on vocals. You can especially hear some of the Folk Metal motifs crop up during their midperiod. After Karen Gilligan left, Black Metal influences returned, but still a far cry from their early days.

Waylander, on the other hand, always kept it blackened:

Then, there was Bathory and the Viking Metal period. It was quite obviously influential to Folk Metal's development on account of its big, bombastic riffs and epic passages along with its Pagan themes. None of those albums Folk Metal proper, but it doesn't take a genius to see how influential that era were.

Islamic Creampie

kiwifarms.net
I saw Mago de Oz once. Me and my woman at the time weren't fans, we just went for shits and giggles. Her friend was crying like a baby over them and we had a good laugh at that.

I typically don't listen to much actual folk stuff at all. Whispered are a pretty cool band that implements lots of Japanese folk elements, but I wouldn't call them folk metal in the sense of a band like Korpiklaani.

• Feels
Reactions: RichardMongler

Ahriman

Vivere Militare Est.
kiwifarms.net
Holy balls, how could I have missed this thread.

For the most part I gravitate towards all subgenres depending on my mood (sometimes I want a wall of noise, sometimes someting a bit more chill) but for the last 5 or so years I've been paying a bit more attention to Black Metal bands.

In no particular order this is the kind of stuff I would listen to, on a regular basis. You'll notice a bit too much BM, because of what I've mentioned previously.

Looks all over the place, I know. And I usually "switch off" with some Retrowave in between because not only it's a e s t h e t i c but it's pretty damn good.

Crystal Golem

Къэфкъас шӀуцӀэ
kiwifarms.net
Peste Noire > DSO

As much as "La sanie des siècles : Panégyrique de la dégénérescence" is a hipster darling, I wholeheartedly enjoy it track to track. Peste Noire's first release serves as an outstanding example of how Black Metal should evolve: not regurgitating Darkthrone/Burzum, but at the same time not losing sight of the genre's spirit and its whole preoccupation with the ancient and the pagan. Faggotry like Deathspell Omega and Sunbather painfully remind me of how Black Metal shouldn't have evolved. In the same way that there's some kind of spiritual parallel between Landser and Absurd, I'd bet anything Peste Noire took some cues from all these old French RAC bands like Légion 88 or Bunker 84. That baroque sense of melody, the silly hooligan ethos, the dungeon atmosphere and fetishism for all things Medieval and rustic in general, etc.

Unfortunately, Famile's ego was far too big for his ambitions. He's one of those cleverer-than-thou aesthetes who probably spent years fleshing out his incredibly personalized, specific philosophy/aesthetic before he even picked up his first guitar. How do you even describe his schtick without sounding like a douche? "Phantasmagorical rural gutter poetry?" "Medieval absurdism?" You don't. You only sound stupider with each attempt. When a moderately talented artist takes that approach, the debut ends up sounding like any other band's 4th album; "La Sanie..." isn't perfect, but it feels like the logical conclusion of a decade of development and shapeshifting, rather than a debut released a few years after the first demo.

Thus, there's nowhere for early bloomer bands like this to go except down. On Peste Noire's actual fourth release "L'ordure à L'état pur", the line between genuine outsider weirdness and McDada eroded and the band ended up sounding like a baguette version of Sleepytime Gorilla Museum. I will admit there's something strangely charming about the whole affair and there are some occasions I will revisit the album, but I'm not surprised to see what a meme they've become in 2019. It was only a matter of time before they released something as awful as that last album from the year prior.
This shit sucks mang.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
I need high energy barbaric metal for the gym, please drop recommendations.
Already on the table, in no particular order:
Marduk
Sarcofago
Bolt Thrower
Angelcorpse
Sodom
Absu

Reactions: Crystal Golem
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino