That Metal Thread -

Megaroad 2012

What if I said, "Which nigger took the last donut?
kiwifarms.net
Found these guys on Scott Water's No Life Til Metal channel. Has that kind of of Celtic Frost/Voivod progressive rock influences feel.

Nothing mind blowing but pretty solid stuff.

Reactions: Circular Tyrant

StevieLasVegas

kiwifarms.net
Although I've been getting out of favour with death metal save for a handful of bands, Jesus titty fucking Christ, I fucking love Possessed's new album. Shadowcult is my favourite off the all killer no filler album

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I heard this one on a metal podcast I listen to, the podcast-ers had the great pleasure of seeing this band perform live at a festival in Finland, and apparently they are a genuinely enjoyable band to see. My tastes tend to be more old-school and thrash but this band has some weird tracks and I always love weird.

Here is the podcast by the way, ran by people I know IRL who do a lot for the local metal scene. Mention of Cumbeast is in episode 6. https://hailyourselfzine.com/podcast/

Shick

Body by Nabisco
kiwifarms.net
While we're on the subject of black metal, this came out a few days ago and I've been enjoying it.
Ukrainian atmospheric stuff, some of the musical passages sound like they would be right at home on Mgla's more recent releases (especially on the first track). Vocals lean on the kind of ghoulish wails that seem to be more common in dsbm and post-black, but being an atmospheric band, there's plenty of long instrumental sequences to enjoy if that annoys you.

Reactions: AJneedsElocution

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I heard this one on a metal podcast I listen to, the podcast-ers had the great pleasure of seeing this band perform live at a festival in Finland, and apparently they are a genuinely enjoyable band to see. My tastes tend to be more old-school and thrash but this band has some weird tracks and I always love weird.

Here is the podcast by the way, ran by people I know IRL who do a lot for the local metal scene. Mention of Cumbeast is in episode 6. https://hailyourselfzine.com/podcast/
I love the instrumentation and the title is fucking hilarious. I just wish I could understand the lyrics better. I found a website but even with that I thought it was hard to follow (though there are hilarious bits). I'm not used to that gurgling vocal style but I like how it sounds.

Judge Holden

Explorer in the further regions of autism
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
On this very day, exactly Fifty years ago, Metal as we know it was born with the release of Black Sabbath's first album

In this single album lie the thematic, structural, and lyrical seeds of not just metal as a whole or the eventual NWOBHM but a slew of subgenres, from the technical skeleton of Doom Metal to the fantasy themes of Power Metal to the satanic references of Black Metal to name just a few.

While it may not be as heavy as its successors or as extreme as those it would inspire, it is still one of the finest albums in music history and well worth the praise it has received this past half century

Last edited:

RichardMongler

Causing much mayhem, dropping drama
kiwifarms.net
On this very day, exactly Fifty years ago, Metal as we know it was born with the release of Black Sabbath's first album

In this single album lie the thematic, structural, and lyrical seeds of not just metal as a whole or the eventual NWOBHM but a slew of subgenres, from the technical skeleton of Doom Metal to the fantasy themes of Power Metal to the satanic references of Black Metal to name just a few.

While it may not be as heavy as its successors or as extreme as those it would inspire, it is still one of the finest albums in music history and well worth the praise it has received this past half century
Hot take: Black Sabbath's first true Metal album was Paranoid. The self-titled debut was Hard Rock through and through. The term "Heavy Metal" was first used to describe Sir Lord Baltimore's debut LP Kingdom Come, but even that isn't quite Metal despite it being an important influence. Another annoying tendency is to term Black Sabbath as a fully fledged Doom band when only Vol. 4 is their doomiest, but since I've elaborated upon this point before, I won't repeat myself.

Perhaps the best way to define Metal is to trace the history of bands from its inception in the early 1970s to the current wave of bands today. Metal is heavy, Psychedelic and Blues-based Rock music structured in either minor-key, modal or chromatic scales. Power chords, quick picking and galloping riffs are also very important. So much so, that heavy bands that don't utilize them in any fashion are rarely considered Metal. The tonal centers of the Metal riffs in each composition are not fixed but progress over the course of it. The rhythm guitar is therefore not a merely a rhythm instrument but the lead one. Even if you're shredding, there can be no Metal without a rhythm guitar. The drum kit is enslaved to the guitars as a mere metronomic timekeeper despite whatever swing, texture, or fills the drummer flourishes the music with. If Robbing the Graveyard and Raping the Dead from Satan's Massacre is any proof, you can construct Metal music simply with your amp and guitar with no bass or percussion needed at all:

The main riff to THAT particular number is lifted from Mercyful Fate's "Death Kiss" which would later be known as "A Dangerous Meeting".

It’s these reasons I refuse to dub Black Sabbath's self-titled album as Metal. Black Sabbath's Metal work started with Paranoid and virtually every album since that time. If you ask me, Sabbath's most Metal albums under Ozzy's tenure were Sabotage, Vol. 4, Master of Reality and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. “The Wizard” may have that one riff (I'd argue it's a Hard Rock riff [the fills, phrasing, and little notes popping up here and there are even more indication]), but even with that song, the rest of the album isn't even close to what would define Metal.

Just listen to “Ride the Sky” by Lucifer's Friend which dropped in November of 1970, almost a year before the world would hear “Children of the Grave”. That song alone is heavier than most of what Sabbath made until Master of Reality. For shits and giggles, follow that up with “Deceiver” by Judas Priest and you'll immediately notice some parallels:

What also can't be overstated is the significance of the heavier side of Psychedelic Rock from the early '70s with bands all over the world forging the foundations for Heavy Metal. Just check out Buffalo, Sir Lord Baltimore or Cool Feet:

Stone Axe:

Bang:

Captain Beyond:

Jerusalem:

Spunt

A Leading Source of Experimental Internet Gas
kiwifarms.net
I love the instrumentation and the title is fucking hilarious. I just wish I could understand the lyrics better. I found a website but even with that I thought it was hard to follow (though there are hilarious bits). I'm not used to that gurgling vocal style but I like how it sounds.
Yeah I'm really digging this. Goregrind/Slam type music sounds much better with a death metal production/mixing style. Call me old fashioned, but it's easier to bang your head when you can hear what the fuck is going on.

Looney Troons

positively rates dumb posts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just received email notification that Fallujah is touring in my area soon. My first thought was fuck yeah. Amazing. The Flesh Prevails absolutely fucks. It’s one of my top metal albums from the 2010s, easily. I vaguely recall listening to Dreamless, their 2016 release, but it was easily overshadowed by the monstrous King released by Fleshgod Apocalypse.

Really wish I would have read into Fallujah’s personnel changes and listened to their latest album, Undying Light (trash), before immediately buying those tickets.

Man vs persistent rat

A good egg is a nice person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If anybody has any vague interest in the style, Cirith Ungol released their first album in 30 years after a lot of threatening never to. It's not awful, and sounds 40 years out of fashion in a good way.

A banger and a ballad.

Reactions: MarineTrainedTard
Tags
None