That Tokusatsu Thread -

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
Not liking what I saw of Ex-Aid 2. The victim of the week segments gave off a real Wizard vibe in the second half and while I was okay with that part of Wizard it was also not something I'd want to have come back again. On the other hand, what a brilliant episode for Zyuohger. Nothing quite like sentai filler done well.

Gazelle_Bro

LETS CLEAR THIS WITH NO CONTINUES
kiwifarms.net
Not liking what I saw of Ex-Aid 2. The victim of the week segments gave off a real Wizard vibe in the second half and while I was okay with that part of Wizard it was also not something I'd want to have come back again. On the other hand, what a brilliant episode for Zyuohger. Nothing quite like sentai filler done well.
I'd disagree about Ex-Aid. The victims only serve as a train to carry Emu's hostility toward Hiiro. Plus it's only episode two, and we're currently working more on introducing the CR Rider staff and the MOTW/Victims are going to be more of an afterthought because the show isn't about them. Even though they need to be a bigger part, since this is a medical drama, at the moment we need to introduce two more Riders. Once that's done, we'll probably get some better episodes.

• Agree
Reactions: ASoulMan

Kamen Rider Black RX

Winner: Cole Smithey Award for Valued Opinion
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I started again on Faiz after only managing to get to episode 30 before. On the one hand, I love how this show is shot. There's just something about it and the tone that we don't see in Kamen Rider anymore. On the other hand, I haven't used TV-N subs in a long time and forgot how... clunky they are. And lifeless. Very dry as far as translations go.

Last edited:

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
Got to say, outside of the main suit I do not enjoy how the Ex-Aid suits look, even in action. Wish they'd just leave the ugly power-ups aside but I don't think it will be happening much this show.

Halberd Sonichu

JUST FEELING SUPER!
kiwifarms.net
yeah the Ex-Aid suits aren't the best around. The best things about the suits are their color pallets. but i think they a bit more interesting to look at then ghost's.

ASoulMan

It's time for assembly...FROM HELL!!!
kiwifarms.net
The next sentai, Uchuu Sentai Kyuranger, has been revealed! We're apparently starting with NINE FUCKING RANGERS!!! The group is divided into two teams; the first is Red/Blue/Black/Yellow/Green, and the second is Pink/Orange/Gold/Silver. Also, the Green Ranger is a woman and the Black Ranger is a fucking beast.

Here's the main mecha:

More images of the first catalog can be found here: http://news.tokunation.com/2016/12/03/full-uchuu-sentai-kyuuranger-catalog-now-online-37757

Did I also mention that the Black Ranger is a fucking BEAST?!?!?

• Informative
Reactions: GabeRegan

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
That looks more like a Tomica heroes or Chinese ripoff than a real sentai. Boooo! Course it always could turn out to be good in practice. I kind of hate the "ranger bloat" recent series have had though and this is kicking it into overdrive.

TrippinKahlua

Fashions provided by Lily Reuben Salon SSW
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I might get the Ohranger DVD for Christmas, might not though.

The Kakuranger show was absolutely immaculate. Very entertaining and it's a great look at the Japanese lifestyle and culture. Zyuranger and Dairanger didn't really focus on Japan as hard. Those shows focused on Greek/Roman mythology and Chinese mythology respectively.

Ohranger is going to be great, Power Rangers had to do a lot of censoring of it. The Yellow Ranger had Nunchucks as a weapon and they became taboo for kids shows in the mid 90s (that actually happened to Ninja Turtles as well! Mikey ended up with this grappling hook), and there was a lot of censoring of King Mondo. His Sentai counterpart, Bacchus Wrath, was a much different character. He was very angry and scary for much of his time on the show. There was a reason he had to be killed 2/3rds of the way through.

Glad it happened, because it produced one of the most memorable moments of my Tv-watching Childhood.

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
That looks more like a Tomica heroes or Chinese ripoff than a real sentai. Boooo! Course it always could turn out to be good in practice. I kind of hate the "ranger bloat" recent series have had though and this is kicking it into overdrive.
Having watched ten episodes the suits turned out fine. Shame none of the rest did.

Halberd Sonichu

JUST FEELING SUPER!
kiwifarms.net
Well since this thread is alive again. here are my thoughts on some Kamen Riders. Ghost was fucking Balls and I hate it even more for making me doubt Ex-Aid. Ex-Aid was fucking fantastic from start to finish. Bulid is alright, it's fights are straight up lame, But the Broventures of Sento and Ryuga make up for it. I haven't watch sentai since I drop Zyuohger in its later episodes. i like it's character, but man some of the episode straight up suck.

• Agree
Reactions: Hatoful Dandy

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I thought it was finally one of them looking like a bug for a goddamn change until I saw the gator eye.

Build's a fun cape drama but is there some reason that it's Kamen Rider that I'm missing?

Halberd Sonichu

JUST FEELING SUPER!
kiwifarms.net
I thought it was finally one of them looking like a bug for a goddamn change until I saw the gator eye.

Build's a fun cape drama but is there some reason that it's Kamen Rider that I'm missing?
Branding more then anything else. I going to take a shoot in the dark, but my guess to why it doesn't feel like Kamen Rider is cause the creative team yearly workload starting to get to them. Working on a single property year around starts to tiring for some. It could be felt towards the end of Drive. Ghost just felt like they needed a new rider, But had no clue on what to do and throw everything they come to mind. Ex-Aid was made with a very clear vision in mind and it works wonders. Build I think had a vision like Ex-Aid, but not as strong. Mostly caused by some creative fatigue after ExAid's production. I won't be surprised if the next Rider straight up sucks.

whatever I feel like

Flu Friendly Furby
kiwifarms.net
Gotta feel for the kids of today who'll grow up not even knowing that Kamen Rider's a bug. Well unless they watched those god-awful All Rider crossovers.... in which case you gotta feel for them anyway.

edit: Also, this year's sentai looks like it might be legitimately good, we'll have to see if they get lazy about it in a month or so.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Trilby
Tags
None