The 2010s — an overview

Should SigSauer be allowed to continue making threads?

• Total voters

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How many of these Current Year reflection threads are there?

I may be being a bit overly pessimistic here, but to me the 2010s completed the transition -- began on 9/11 -- to the dark, broken, seemingly hopeless "cyberpunk dystopia" we live in today. A world of tech-addicted smartphone zombies. Brain-computer interfaces. Elon Musk. Omnipresent electronic surveillance. The Internet Of Things. The threat of a China-like social credit system. Every other phone call is a scam. Identity politics. Internet censorship by tech companies that went "woke." Social media. Trump Derangement Syndrome. Clown car elections. Outrage culture. The Disney takeover of Western pop culture. Food being either overpriced tiny portions, or chemicals and "Frankenfoods." Oppressive regimes showing no signs of ever falling. Endless poverty. Endless wars. Endless killing sprees. Endless terrorism.

I hope that maybe the 2020s will reverse this downward spiral.

Coolio55

Numbuh one brony in da hood, G
kiwifarms.net
I don't think there could be a "2010's nostalgia movement" and for good reason.

Culture has (Or at least was until recently) become much more fragmented thanks to the internet.
There are millions of unique niches that can communicate with each other. Only now are they trying to reel back in and standardize culture more heavily.

Webby's Boyfriend

reality cartoonist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am sure some people who are now kids or teens will look back onto the 2010s in like 30 years and say they were the best decade ever. Even though objectively, they just sucked.

My favourite decades are the 40s and 60s and 2000s by the way. Because of World War II, the Counter Culture movement and my kidhood, which all were epic adventures of good vs evil (kind of).

FuckedUp

Done with this autism chamber
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I am sure some people who are now kids or teens will look back onto the 2010s in like 30 years and say they were the best decade ever. Even though objectively, they just sucked.

My favourite decades are the 40s and 60s and 2000s by the way. Because of World War II, the Counter Culture movement and my kidhood, which all were epic adventures of good vs evil (kind of).
Honestly, as a late 2000's kid (born late 1999) I'm pretty sure 90's kids had it better, but what we had was still infinitely better than the clusterfuck of a world the '10s kids had to grow up in.

AnOminous

when you find a stranger in the Alps
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

What will they do for nostalgia? Cut their dicks off again? They already did that.

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2010-11: Good times, basically late '00s but with some new stuff

2012-mid 13: Bunch of shit happens, mostly unrelated to the rest of the decade

late 2013-early 15: Pretty much the best part of the decade, all the good aspects of it vastly outweighed the bad ones

mid 2015-2017: Real start of clown world, politics go to shit

2018-19: Basically the inverse of the late 2013-early 15 period; everything becomes a trainwreck in slow motion and all the good atmosphere of 2013-15 has faded away

The trouble with 2013-early 15 is that right smack dab in the middle was 2014, which I would consider the worst year of this decade, that to me is when Clownworld really began.

2015 was a little better, but 2014 was just awful, I just felt this oppressive atmosphere that whole year, that to me is when SJW culture really fully blossomed (largely thanks to Gamergate) and it was so unbelievably hard dealing with that when it was brand new, as time has gone on I've since gotten more used to it, which makes things a little easier, but at the start it was an absolute nightmare.

But there were other shitty things that happened that year too, like Robin Williams' suicide, no other celebrity death hit me harder, I literally almost fainted when I saw the headline, it wasn't just that he was gone, but that it was suicide, it was an absolute nightmare.

How many of these Current Year reflection threads are there?

I may be being a bit overly pessimistic here, but to me the 2010s completed the transition -- began on 9/11 -- to the dark, broken, seemingly hopeless "cyberpunk dystopia" we live in today. A world of tech-addicted smartphone zombies. Brain-computer interfaces. Elon Musk. Omnipresent electronic surveillance. The Internet Of Things. The threat of a China-like social credit system. Every other phone call is a scam. Identity politics. Internet censorship by tech companies that went "woke." Social media. Trump Derangement Syndrome. Clown car elections. Outrage culture. The Disney takeover of Western pop culture. Food being either overpriced tiny portions, or chemicals and "Frankenfoods." Oppressive regimes showing no signs of ever falling. Endless poverty. Endless wars. Endless killing sprees. Endless terrorism.

I hope that maybe the 2020s will reverse this downward spiral.

It's funny how accurate the cyberpunk predictions really turned out to be.

The trouble is it's not as glamorous as people predicted because dealing with the pure malice of SJWs is a nightmare.

I'm not asking to live in a perfect world, the 2000s was pretty bleak in it's own ways as well, but people's attitudes were so much better back then, people still knew how to laugh and have fun, I just want a return to that at the very least, the pure malice of SJWs is literally ruining the world.

Imagine a 2010s nostalgia themed party sometime in the future.

It'd be like a "safe space" with fidget spinners and Fortnite.

I mentioned this in another thread, but I can actually see people finding a campy charm to the 2010s in the future the same way people used to laugh at the ridiculous aspects of the 1970s.

SJW culture is probably the most easily mockable thing that's ever existed.

That is assuming of course that things change and people are safely removed from the 2010s culture and free to actually laugh at it.

CheezzyMach

Viva Latina
kiwifarms.net

Culture has (Or at least was until recently) become much more fragmented thanks to the internet.
There are millions of unique niches that can communicate with each other. Only now are they trying to reel back in and standardize culture more heavily.
The 1960s and 70s are fondly remembered despite the social climate back then being just as bad or worse in some ways then CURRENT YEAR.

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The 1960s and 70s are fondly remembered despite the social climate back then being just as bad or worse in some ways then CURRENT YEAR.

It's just the way it goes, people can't choose when they were born and thus can't choose the times they grew up in.

I certainly won't bemoan anyone their childhood 2010s nostalgia in the future, after all you experience decades very differently depending on your age, I just know as an adult I won't miss the 2010s much.

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The trouble with 2013-early 15 is that right smack dab in the middle was 2014, which I would consider the worst year of this decade, that to me is when Clownworld really began.

2015 was a little better, but 2014 was just awful, I just felt this oppressive atmosphere that whole year, that to me is when SJW culture really fully blossomed (largely thanks to Gamergate) and it was so unbelievably hard dealing with that when it was brand new, as time has gone on I've since gotten more used to it, which makes things a little easier, but at the start it was an absolute nightmare.

But there were other shitty things that happened that year too, like Robin Williams' suicide, no other celebrity death hit me harder, I literally almost fainted when I saw the headline, it wasn't just that he was gone, but that it was suicide, it was an absolute nightmare.

Agreed up to a point. 2014 is when "Current Year" began in earnest, although I wasn't really following GamerGate or the rise of Black Lives Matter all that closely at the time, so the gravity of it all didn't really become apparent to me until 2016 or so.

I think 2017 is the worst year of the decade overall, since I'd wager that's when woke culture went into overdrive thanks to Trump unexpectedly winning the 2016 election. Trump won and the SJW Left went apeshit because they couldn't do the original tactic of incremental change like they did under Obama.

That's the year that gave us the Me Too witch hunt, the rise of Antifa as a national threat, and the Satanic Panic-tier hysteria over the nebulously defined "Alt-Right" that happened in the wake of Charlottesville.

2014 would probably be a contender for the second-worst year of the decade, since that's when everything really kicked off in full.

Honestly, 2019 is a pretty shitty year but I'd say it's one of the better years of the decade when compared to 2014-2018.

This is the first year where you really see a more effective backlash against SJW culture starting up. The Weeb Wars is the first major example of a concerted effort to actively fight Me Too (although the Kavanaugh hearings helped too) and you've been seeing the Left becoming increasingly venomous and violent in ways that are souring the general public at every turn, such as the attack on Andy Ngo in June and the Project Veritas leaks showing just how evil Google is.

People are getting fed up with increasing corporate censorship and secular puritanism.

Despite their best efforts, woke culture failed to cancel the new Joker movie which in less than the span of a few months is now one of the most profitable movies of all time. Zoe Quinn scored the first kill for cancel culture and nobody in the MSM is going to bat for her.

Anita Sarkeesian went from being someone who was above any form of reproach in the eyes of the media to a pathetic joke teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and her grift is failing her.

2020 is going to be the last grand stand of the 2010's decade, and depending on how the 2020 Election ultimately plays out, it could very well be the last chapter of the "Current Year" malaise.

FuckedUp

Done with this autism chamber
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Agreed up to a point. 2014 is when "Current Year" began in earnest, although I wasn't really following GamerGate or the rise of Black Lives Matter all that closely at the time, so the gravity of it all didn't really become apparent to me until 2016 or so.

I think 2017 is the worst year of the decade overall, since I'd wager that's when woke culture went into overdrive thanks to Trump unexpectedly winning the 2016 election. Trump won and the SJW Left went apeshit because they couldn't do the original tactic of incremental change like they did under Obama.

That's the year that gave us the Me Too witch hunt, the rise of Antifa as a national threat, and the Satanic Panic-tier hysteria over the nebulously defined "Alt-Right" that happened in the wake of Charlottesville.

2014 would probably be a contender for the second-worst year of the decade, since that's when everything really kicked off in full.

Honestly, 2019 is a pretty shitty year but I'd say it's one of the better years of the decade when compared to 2014-2018.

This is the first year where you really see a more effective backlash against SJW culture starting up. The Weeb Wars is the first major example of a concerted effort to actively fight Me Too (although the Kavanaugh hearings helped too) and you've been seeing the Left becoming increasingly venomous and violent in ways that are souring the general public at every turn, such as the attack on Andy Ngo in June and the Project Veritas leaks showing just how evil Google is.

People are getting fed up with increasing corporate censorship and secular puritanism.

Despite their best efforts, woke culture failed to cancel the new Joker movie which in less than the span of a few months is now one of the most profitable movies of all time. Zoe Quinn scored the first kill for cancel culture and nobody in the MSM is going to bat for her.

Anita Sarkeesian went from being someone who was above any form of reproach in the eyes of the media to a pathetic joke teetering on the edge of bankruptcy and her grift is failing her.

2020 is going to be the last grand stand of the 2010's decade, and depending on how the 2020 Election ultimately plays out, it could very well be the last chapter of the "Current Year" malaise.
Honestly, I found SJWs kinda entertaining back in 2014 (which I consider the best year of the decade); back then it was not much more than spergs on the internet and getting into autistic slapfights over game journalism. It's only really gotten out of hand in the past couple years because that's when they started having major real-world influence outside of media outlets. Back in late 2017 you could still hop on r/cringeanarchy and a ton of other places on the internet and freely bitch about SJWs, it's around early 2018 when the mass censorship really accelerated. But I'm American and imagine Europeans have a different timeline.

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I found SJWs kinda entertaining back in 2014 (which I consider the best year of the decade); back then it was not much more than spergs on the internet and getting into autistic slapfights over game journalism. It's only really gotten out of hand in the past couple years because that's when they started having major real-world influence outside of media outlets. Back in late 2017 you could still hop on r/cringeanarchy and a ton of other places on the internet and freely bitch about SJWs, it's around early 2018 when the mass censorship really accelerated. But I'm American and imagine Europeans have a different timeline.

I'd say 2018 would be the year of peak unchallenged SJW censorship unless something happens in 2020 that ends up extending the lifespan of woke culture in America. I agree that 2014 wasn't as bad when it was actually happening since it was mostly just dumb spergs on the internet.

In my opinion, 2017 is probably the worst year of the decade with 2018 in a close second.

2019 has been a shitty year all in all, but it's probably the first year that is every bit as shitty for SJW's as it is for everyone else. This year has been one where woke culture is truly facing an actual challenge and a lot will be riding on the 2020 Election's outcome and how badly SJW culture will end up hurting the bottom line for so many of the corporations who back it.

Personally, I think 2010 and 2012 were the best years of this decade. 2011 wasn't too bad culturally, but for me it sucked due to personal reasons.

Disgruntled Pupper

Thuuder only happens wlen its raisinl
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All I can say is that the 2010s sucked on multiple levels for me. They got a bit better towards the latter half, but if I had a choice of going back to 2004 or 2014 I would chose 2004 every time.

This is going to be a very boomer question, but I honestly don't see what culture or counter/sub culture kids and teens of the 10's have. Like, when I was in middle/highschool you had gangbangers, emos, juggalos, anime and video game nerds, jesus freaks, a few holdover goths at the beginning and hipsters at the end. We liked memes, we drank Monster, we remember Myspace and when Shrek came out and what dial-up sounded like, we had 9/11 and the great recession. But it seems like since 2012 your only choices were troonism/SJW, still some anime nerds (though it way more mainstream and usually also tied to SJWism), bronies (now dead), 16-year-old Instagram thots, and.... Fortnight dancers? People who want to be professional youtubers? Tekashi 6ix9ine fans? I don't know, and even scarier, I get the feeling Gen Z doesn't know either.