The 2010s — an overview

Should SigSauer be allowed to continue making threads?

• Total voters

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Technically the 2020s don't start until 2021 because no year 0.

But I think quite a number want the 2010s to end in about a day.

(like me for one)

Technically you are correct and it's goes even further, usually it takes a full 3 years for the culture of a decade to fully form into its own.

Let's look back at the last 3 decades for example, the 2010s didn't really start to blossom into what it will be known for until 2013 and even then it was in nascent stages.

And the 2000s is another example, the early 2000s was still very much like the late '90s, even in the immediate aftermath of 9/11, it wasn't until the start of the Iraq war did any last vestiges of the 1990s fall by the wayside for good.

And then you have the 1990s, the early '90s still had a lot of holdover from '80s culture, the '90s did not truly become "the '90s" until Clinton was in office.

But there are exceptions, the biggest of which would be the 1980s, things changed overnight back then, as soon as Reagan was in office in 1981 the 1980s was fully formed as "the 1980s" pretty much.

So we could potentially be facing years more of "woke" culture, which is a terrifying prospect, I got to be honest though I don't really see it happening, I feel like the 2020s might be a turn on a dime like the 1980s was.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
we could potentially be facing years more of "woke" culture, which is a terrifying prospect
Imagine the depths of insanity Clown World could reach if Current Year keeps going for years more. Normal stuff we think nothing of now could become extremely offensive by then. It's like that now with what SJWs have already deemed "offensive" or "problematic."

One Current Year thing I would like to see gone is "problematic" sites always getting "Error 502" or "Error 504" attacks.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Imagine the depths of insanity Clown World could reach if Current Year keeps going for years more. Normal stuff we think nothing of now could become extremely offensive by then. It's like that now with what SJWs have already deemed "offensive" or "problematic."

One Current Year thing I would like to see gone is "problematic" sites always getting "Error 502" or "Error 504" attacks.

That's the thing is it's going to reach a breaking point and things will change.

That's basically the story of everything in American culture, every trend that comes along people just keep pushing it further and further until it reaches a point of utter, total obnoxiousness and then it pushes people away.

Look at reality TV for example, by the time it got to the point of "Here Comes Honey Boo Boo" it had become so disgustingly obnoxious that people moved on, when was the last time you heard anyone talking about some reality show?

I'm willing to bet for "woke" culture it will happen sooner than later.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's the thing is it's going to reach a breaking point and things will change.
The way I see Current Year never ending is if the Silicon Valley elites and the "blue checkmarks" continue this campaign of censorship and "cancel culture," while the mainstream media and education system continue to bombard the masses with identity politics inserted into anything and everything. Certain corrupt people in positions of power may want identity politics to never end, keeping everyone divided under an endless technocracy.

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The way I see Current Year never ending is if the Silicon Valley elites and the "blue checkmarks" continue this campaign of censorship and "cancel culture," while the mainstream media and education system continue to bombard the masses with identity politics inserted into anything and everything. Certain power hungry people in positions of power may want identity politics to never end, keeping everyone divided under an endless technocracy.

But again, think of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.

I actually forgot about Honey Boo Boo and thinking about the fact that reality TV never got any worse than that, that Honey Boo Boo was the breaking point that led to the popularity of reality TV decreasing, cheers me up greatly.

Because to be clear reality TV still exists, but nobody really cares anymore, it inspires no "water cooler talk" like shows like Games of Thrones later did.

And similarly social justice will never go away fully, but what we can hope is that it loses some of its relevance and go back to being a pretty fringe thing again.

There is a, I don't know what you'd call it, the "Overton Window" isn't quite it but it's something like that, basically there is the spotlight of mainstream culture and what they're focused on, for the last several years the spotlight has been focused on social justice, which itself is not anything new, it just hasn't had the spotlight on it like it has had in awhile, but hopefully the spotlight will be on something different soon.

At the end of the day people can only take so much, there's only so much obnoxiousness something can reach before you push anyone but the most diehards away.

Last edited:

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But again, think of Here Comes Honey Boo Boo.
I still think it's going to take quite a lot to bring it down though. Like I said, identity politics has been shoved into everything, from Wikipedia to the Simpsons. There's also all the "woke" Millennials entering the workforce and politics.

Then again, the hippie thing didn't last much longer than the '60s. I hear there's plenty of Zoomers who rebel against all the "woke" BS. Maybe this tech oversaturation we're mired in will be toned down as well (I don't see that happening though)?

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I still think it's going to take quite a lot to bring it down though. Like I said, identity politics has been shoved into everything, from Wikipedia to the Simpsons. There's also all the "woke" Millennials entering the workforce and politics.

Then again, the hippie thing didn't last much longer than the '60s. I hear there's plenty of Zoomers who rebel against all the "woke" BS. Maybe this tech oversaturation we're mired in will be toned down as well (I don't see that happening though)?

It could unfortunately last a while longer, but it won't last forever either way.

And for the record I bring up Here Comes Honey Boo Boo for a reason, because I think what you're basically talking about when you talk about SJW culture is it's the hyper narcissism of the reality TV age (now the social media age) blended with left wing identity politics.

Basically the idiocy of American culture that Honey Boo Boo represents just evolved into our modern SJW mentality, it's all just the same American idiocy.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
it won't last forever either way.
What do you think will be the fate of this Internet Of Things saturated, smartphone zombified, social media addicted, tech junkie technocracy will be (assuming all the doomsday predictions are wrong and the collapse of industrial society never happens)?

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

*Siiiiiiiiiip*
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What do you think will happen to this Internet Of Things saturated, smartphone zombified, social media addicted, tech junkie technocracy will be (assuming all the doomsday predictions are wrong and the collapse of industrial society never happens)?

The vast majority of SJWs are bandwagon hoppers that a decade ago were making rape jokes with the best of them and now only feign outrage over everything due to a desire for attention and that's just what's expected these days and they lack the ability to not follow the herd.

But as soon as that ceases to be "trendy" you'll be surprised at how many of them will drop the whole SJW thing like a bad habit and pretend that they were never that way to begin with.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
But as soon as that ceases to be "trendy" you'll be surprised at how many of them will drop the whole SJW thing like a bad habit and pretend that they were never that way to begin with.
I meant with the state of tech in general, not just among the SJws. But yeah, like I said, if that happens it'd be just like the Boomers dropping the hippie thing in the 1970s.

(I wonder if WW2 veterans thought hippiedom would never end?)

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I meant with the state of tech in general, not just among the SJws. But yeah, like I said, if that happens it'd be just like the Boomers dropping the hippie thing in the 1970s.

Assuming we don't see the collapse of industrial society or some other freak black swan event, I think the current era will be replaced by some other technology and part of why the Millennials and Early Zoomers are so bad when it comes to the internet is because they were the last generations to remember the pre-Web 2.0 era, and have been sort of overtaken by it as a whole. Later generations who weren't there to see the novelty of it all will go in an entirely different direction, especially as a new technology takes hold or an old technology makes a surprise comeback like vinyl records did in the 2010's.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Later generations who weren't there to see the novelty of it all will go in an entirely different direction
Even if tech evolves, could the level of tech saturation in everyday life go down? I doubt it myself: I don't see smartphones or some other kind of always-connected telecom tech going away for example. But maybe the Internet Of Things will go the way of the 8-track - you don't need a refrigerator online to store food.

Oglooger

One of few based™ oldfags
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
2010- Move back to the US and decide to start a fresh new life. don't remember much since I didn't know that many communities and evreything was a drive away and couldn't get anywhere. I remember spending summer vacation discovering imageboards.

2011 - started High School, discovered sonichu, the CWCki forums and the internet being cool still

2012 - I started noticing the SJW creeping into things, people called me crazy and that it will never catch on. I remember the google+ merge happening and I found it disturbing that I suddendly see a bunch of kids on youtube just posting their name and face online and posting for everyone to see

2013: I notice something is going wrong on the internet as more forums die and everything starts relying on Facebook. the SJW menace grows closer, people don't believe me because I was a tard; I lose a very close friend because he drank the SJW Kool-Aid and cut all contact with me. I've hated hipsters ever since and learned the true meaning of friendship

2014- Gamergate happens, didn't think much of it but was glad that there was finally a pushback against it. didn't expect it to blow up the way it did. last year where things were comfy before the storm of depression and disappointment

2015- Graduated Highschool, was weary of the college meme because I wasted my high school years reading horror stories on how college was a scam to get you in debt that wouldn't get you a job, ironically I depended too much on hoping that attending a career high school will get me somewhere (it didn't). Trump starts getting traction because of his shit talk and makes me want to for for him instead of McAfee.

2016 - Election happens, old internet is fully dead since gamergate and election TDS seperated communities and everyone moved to social media.

2017 - It's at this moment that I realized that people now mostly refer to internet as "Social Media", TDS is entertaining and is what keeps me going while doing odd jobs

2018 - TDS starts to be more depressing and tiring, year went by real fast and I just remember going further right out of disgust of things. A falling out with a Jewish friend made me end up reading Mein Kampf.

2019 Things start getting better, get a new job that started paying more and wasn't as stressful, lost 20 pounds from the depression episodes from 2015, finally met my Dad after 23 years of looking for him and things are starting to look better as I ride the tiger.

It's going to be fascinating looking back at this decade on how everyone in the US seems to have been radicalized over things, it will most likely be memory holed like the 70's.
The death of 8chan also marked the end of an era of the internet. the imageboard culture of the 2000's is now gone, all remaining imageboards are dead or controlled by angry troons.

Syaoran Li

Manager of the Goth IHOP
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I think the 2010's is sort of like the 1970's, but without any of the good movies and awesome music that the 70's gave us and triple the amount of malaise and social unrest instead.

If I had money to burn, I'd pay someone to build a statue of Barack Obama in a city park with a plaque that reads "Malaise Forever"

Empty

kiwifarms.net
The 00's was objectively a horrible decade
  • Dot-Com Crash
  • 9/11 Terror Attacks
  • Iraq War
  • '08 Financial Crisis that bled into the following decade
It was a good decade if you weren't mobilized to fight in Iraq or didn't care about politics that much. In the 10s we sent our troops to Libya and Syria, the social media became inescapable from people's lives, in the first half of the decade Americans have had lower incomes in comparison with the previous decade, yet the house prices went hysterically higher despite the relatively low inflation, 14% to 15% of the American population was poor back in 2010-2014, school shootings became more common than ever before. If the 2000s were chaotic on their own, the 2010s were a complete catastrophy on all fronts.

Last edited:

FuckedUp

Done with this autism chamber
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was a good decade if you weren't mobilized to fight in Iraq or didn't care about politics that much. In the 10s we sent our troops to Libya and Syria, the social media became inescapable from people's lives, in the first half of the decade Americans have had lower incomes in comparison with the previous decade, yet the house prices went hysterically higher despite the relatively low inflation, 14% to 15% of the American population was poor back in 2010-2014, school shootings became more common than ever before. If the 2000s were chaotic on their own, the 2010s were a complete catastrophy on all fronts.
It took two months into the 2020s for the 2010s to seem better than how the 2000s did in 2019. :stress:

Bass

Grandmaster of the Autistic Illuminati
kiwifarms.net
But there are exceptions, the biggest of which would be the 1980s, things changed overnight back then, as soon as Reagan was in office in 1981 the 1980s was fully formed as "the 1980s" pretty much.
I don't remember the first half of the 80's as being all that different from the late 70's though. Times were still tough, although improving, until about 84. Pop culture wise, yeah, there was a bit of a shift, but the 80's didn't just happen in 81 when Regan was inaugurated.

Hell, I remember there was talk going into the 84 election that Reagan was beatable in 84 because the economy hadn't turned yet and unemployment was still high. Then the Democrats decided to run Mondale and tripped on their own dicks in a huge fashion.

I'd say the 80's as we think about the today didn't manifest until 85 or 86 actually.