The Batman (2022, formerly June 25, 2021) - No, not that cartoon

• Copy+pasting images with your clipboard now works again, ending the two-month reign of terror we endured of the prior notice.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/0...tor-on-plot-release-date-casting-and-villains

Matt Reeves, known for his work on the Planet of the Apes reboot series, Cloverfield and more, has given new details on his upcoming noir film, The Batman.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, Reeves touched on the film’s casting, it’s general tone and plot, a possible release window and its villains.

"What's exciting about Batman is how it relates to now and also how personal it can be,” said Reeves. "It's very much a point of view-driven, noir Batman tale. It's told very squarely on his shoulders, and I hope it's going to be a story that will be thrilling but also emotional. It's more Batman in his detective mode than we've seen in the films. The comics have a history of that.

"He's supposed to be the world's greatest detective, and that's not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I'd love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it's going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation.” As of now, the film is simply called The Batman, but Reeves hinted it’s possible that could change.

As for when the film will be released, Reeves says the film hasn’t been dated, but is thinking it could probably release in 2021, perhaps late spring or summer. Recent reports indicate that it could begin filming in November, giving the project plenty of time to cast and handle pre-production.

As for casting, Reeves said "There will be a Rogues Gallery,” potentially suggesting the film will have multiple villains. The casting process will reportedly begin shortly, as Reeves is “doing another pass on the script” and is starting to develop some conceptual aspects of the film.

On the subject of The Batman connecting to the DCEU, Reeves said he’s only involved in this film, and that films like Aquaman, Shazam and Harley Quinn are all operating separately. "Warners believes they don't have to try to develop a giant slate that has to have all the plans for how it's going to connect,” he said. "What they need to try and do is make good movies with these characters."

This Batman solo film has been in the planning stages for some time. In 2017, Ben Affleck claimed that he would be directing a Batman solo film. Only a few weeks later it was confirmed that he would not be directing the film, but would remain on the project as an actor and producer. Later rumors suggested that Affleck will finish his tenure in the DC Extended Universe as Batman in Suicide Squad 2.

One of the few things we know for certain about The Batman is that it won’t be an adaptation of the famous graphic novel Batman: Year One.

Tootsie Bear

kiwifarms.net
I absolutely don't give even as much a single fuck about Batman.

The Planet of the Apes movies that Matt Reeves did were spectacular, some of my favorite movies in the last decade or so.

I would love to see what he can do with Batman.

With the Joker being released later this year Batman does feel overused. But I would still check out The Batman in 2021. Hopefully both movies will be good.

R

RG 448

kiwifarms.net
"He's supposed to be the world's greatest detective, and that's not necessarily been a part of what the movies have been. I'd love this to be one where when we go on that journey of tracking down the criminals and trying to solve a crime, it's going to allow his character to have an arc so that he can go through a transformation.”
He’s saying all the right things right now. I feel fucking done with Batman, but even I would be interested in seeing a flick like this.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
Matt Reeves kind of has me interested but over all bit done with superhero movies for now, just too samey.

Oh yeah, I'm getting there too. I just feel like I'm seeing the same movie over and over again with the superhero films. I like them and all, but I also like variety and different experiences, and right now, superheroes are just dominating the blockbusters to an insane degree.

But if Matt Reeves wants to do more of a detective story with Batman (something I have wanted for years) then I'm down.

Give me something like Hush or The Long Halloween. The closest we ever got to a cinematic detective story with Batman was Mask of the Phantasm (of which I might be one of 10 people that actually saw it in theaters) and to some extent The Dark Knight.

For me, Batman's best stories are the ones where he's trying to figure something out and unravel a mystery. He is the comic book version of Sherlock Holmes in my eyes. I don't need him to get into a fist fight with Superman or shut down a Doomsday weapon. Put him on the streets and solving cases. That would be my jam!

Absolutego

Making dough but not enough to blow
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He’s saying all the right things right now. I feel fucking done with Batman, but even I would be interested in seeing a flick like this.

I wonder if Warner Brothers will be confident enough to let him take this to the Nth degree and have Riddler as the main villain or if he'll be forced to shoe-horn a more marketable character as the antagonist.

Bassomatic

HOW DO I KNOW YOU'RE NOT MAKAROV
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Reboot fatigue is coming. Maybe not for another 5, 10 years, but it's coming, and it'll hit hard.
I think the fact some of the larger heros have is fans eat anything, I've been over capeshit for a while I know others who have as well but still drag themselves to see something just to see their main man/woman, beat up bad guys.

Also, with such a different angle if they really do run with the mystery/thriller idea it won't feel like the others but still have batman who you can relate to and enjoy because he's batman.

Now aside this if they do anymore reboots of him or anything a genre change would be a life saver but yeah please just let a lot of these names sit.

Orkeosaurus

kiwifarms.net
It's a neat idea, but should have been made either 10 years ago or 10 years in the future when the DCCU is dead and buried.

Especially now that we have two actors simultaneously playing Joker.

The Gangster Computer

[cue vent. starts speaking angry nonsense sounds.]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Batman has been milked to fucking death, but I am genuinely interested. A movie that finally remembers that Batman is a detective above all else and in a noire setting no less. I am very tempted. I won't get my hopes up, but I really do hope this turns out to be a really good movie that doesn't rely too much on CGI or over the top actions scenes (sadly that's mandatory) but I still would love to see some down to earth crime fighting with Batman again. Then again, I'm really growing tired of constant reboots and capeshit. Like fatigue after having to deal with so much of it.

Last edited: