The Big Bang Theory - It's over now

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

2021Murder

SEVP of Outreach for Trovo.live
kiwifarms.net
I think a huge reason for BBT hate was because of how many men got "you remind me a lot of Sheldon" its sort of similar with Community with Abed. When the character is shit and people associate you with being shit it will cause you to hate the show. Thats a big reason for the hatred of Scream, tons of web 1.0 people got shit because "wow you're just like dewey" the difference is the internet wasn't a big deal back then so no one heard all the eccentrics whine. Plus Dewey was still well liked and got invited to parties and shit like that.

Y2K Baby

The Codex of Ultimate Wisdom???
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Late af, but the value of the comedy in your show is indeed determined by how well the jokes are without the live audience.

Seinfeld and Fraiser hold up without a live audience, TBBT doesn't. In fact, all Chuck Lorre shows don't because Chuck Lorre is a shitty fucking writer and showrunner.
Shut up.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
t.BigBangTheoryfan

Kiss and make up, faggots.

kiss.gif

Bazinga

I'll regurgitate something I've said before (well, two things, really).

Firstly, the show was a lot better before it got popular. It used to have all kinds of smart science jokes in it. An intellectual streak. But it seemed like over time it stopped doing science and intellectual jokes and more pop culture jokes and dating subplots. It basically changed from "nerds who play with telescopes and beakers" to "nerds who read comics." I blame the show becoming popular because I think they did that to try to pander to a new audience.

The second thing is that nerds always bitch about the show being "nerd blackface" (the gayest thing I've ever heard), but the show is unrealistically KIND to nerds. Part of the problem is that "nerds" don't really exist anymore in the old 1950s Fonzi meaning of the word. We have this stereotype that the guy who likes to build his own robots is also the kind of guy who likes to play Dungeons and Dragons. And that tends to be true for a certain age, but the more proficiency you get in one direction, the less you get in another. Somebody may Fucking Love Science and also love Game of Thrones, but usually people who obsess over pop culture are ignorant, lazy bastards and people who obsess over science are too busy doing science to waste their time on men in tights flying around.

So, the show feels unreasonably kind because it's like it's pointing to the pop culture-consuming audience and saying "this is you," when they are most definitely NOT hotshot physicists and engineers.

I remember an episode where Sheldon, Nobel Prize winner, was autistically rambling about chemical properties of the Hulk or something. In real life, somebody like Sheldon Cooper would be rambling about astrophysics 24/7.

I've read an interview with a scientist where the scientist basically agreed with my take, said that him and his coworkers don't give a fuck about comic book/vidya game bullshit.

Actually, as I think about, the same thing DID happen with Rick and Morty. They went from occasionally having something kind of scientific (if still really lowbrow, like Schrodinger's Cat) to having nothing but pop culture stuff.

Young Sheldon is a much better show, too, although it's a bit painful (and somewhat realistic) seeing Sheldon get coddled from any punishment just because he has 'tism. Mother on the show is very fuckable.

I think the writers also kind of got back to the original point of the characters with Young Sheldon, because he's NOT a pop culture guy on that show. He watches Star Trek and stuff like that, but mostly the kid is fixated on his schoolwork, experiments, that sort of thing. Like actual prodigies are. It's actually rather weird seeing the character as a child who seems more grown-up than the character as an adult, although sometimes spergs do mellow out more when they get older.

There's an episode where Sheldon is having panic attacks about obsessing over a problem, and he decides to go in an artistic direction instead. Ends up becoming a neurotic about Lord of the Rings continuity. Actually a rather smart point for the show. People who obsess over fiction put the sort of energy into it that many men put into productive work, or discovery. But there's also a lower bar to entry. I've heard folks describe video games as being a trap for male potential.

Last edited:

TheImportantFart

Breakin' Wind
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
We have this stereotype that the guy who likes to build his own robots is also the kind of guy who likes to play Dungeons and Dragons. And that tends to be true for a certain age, but the more proficiency you get in one direction, the less you get in another. Somebody may Fucking Love Science and also love Game of Thrones, but usually people who obsess over pop culture are ignorant, lazy bastards and people who obsess over science are too busy doing science to waste their time on men in tights flying around.
Can confirm. All the people I knew at uni who went along to the science fiction club or anime or the gaming society were unfailingly liberal arts students. I think Geography was the hardest science I found among them. All the science students were usually off getting piss drunk at the SU every night. I knew one of them who would routinely show up to lab days high as a kite. He's now doing a doctorate heaven help us.

Can confirm. All the people I knew at uni who went along to the science fiction club or anime or the gaming society were unfailingly liberal arts students. I think Geography was the hardest science I found among them. All the science students were usually off getting piss drunk at the SU every night. I knew one of them who would routinely show up to lab days high as a kite. He's now doing a doctorate heaven help us.
Hm.

In my bachelors, the Computer Science and Engineering guys were massive nerds, but the other applied engineering guys tended to be pretty normal or they were (in Mechanical Engineering) good ole boys.

I never met many science students, but the Chemistry guys seemed like real Chads, the definition of well-rounded and always physically fit and socially graceful.

When I started economics graduate school, I was a little disappointed that it turned out that they seem like a bunch of jocks. Smart jocks, jocks who tend to know a lot about history and geography and the like, but everybody except for me is into sports (played ball in school or watches professional sports) and none of them except me play instruments/are interested in art. Like to gamble on poker. This one motherfucker asked me what games I play and I said open-world RPGs, and he says, "Like League of Legends?"

Basically, the "hard" business disciplines (econ, finance, accounting, etc.) also seem to attract people who don't know what a video game is and wouldn't be caught dead with a comic book, and are too busy out drinking, playing cards, and cheering as Blacks throw balls around.

You know, critics of the Big Bang Theory also completely miss the point of "bazinga" when they mock it. Bazinga isn't a lol-so-random-funny-word joke. It's a Sheldon-is-such-a-sperg-that-he-has-to-resort-to-sitcom-like-catchphrases-to-try-to-be-funny joke. Bazinga is a joke about bazinga.

Every single clip of Young Sheldon I have seen had Sheldon saying some smart-assed shit to his parents or other authority figures that would have lead to a smash cut to my tomb if I had said it to anyone. While this has often been true of smarth-mouthed sitcom children, it seems particularly enhanced with Young Sheldon.
The show's not that bad, but that is a problem. The show isn't just Sheldon; if anything, I like the rest of the family (just a bunch of Texan rednecks) a lot more. It's a good family sitcom about normal people having to deal with a child genius in the family who is a realistic portrayal of a child genius (unlike something like, say, Family Matters with Urkel, where it's way wackier and over-the-top). But they give Sheldon a pass on things, which sometimes also happens IRL, but doesn't make it any more fun to watch when the kid needs his clock cleaned.

Last edited: