THE BIRD THREAD - Post birds, discuss birds or even sniff birds.

How much do you love birds?

• Total voters

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
Are there birds you can raise as pets who don't always act like dicks and bite? Birds you can safely pet like cats or dogs?
Birbs aren't like puppers, raising them is difficult as they go through phases akin to baby-teenager-adult. A lot of birds get rehomed when they hit the teenage phase because the change they go through.
Birbs are very unique animals. If you want a puppy stick with a puppy.
Birds can be affectionate tho.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I like seeing the colorful little parakeets at the pet shop.

Some have a vivid emerald green, some a more dull leaf green, and some cyan that seems almost like the vivid cyan of a PC screen.

(they don't seem too interested in people watching them though)
In my childhood, stores like Woolworth's would have a whole bin filled with parakeets and another with hamsters. I'm sure the times kids would stick their hands in there made them too anxious to want to be near anyone. Too bad I can't find a photo of that online to show as they used to stick these near the toy sections.

90220e0b6406d2e148079c0de7b8d282.jpg2674a602964509387bac9465ccf84eef.png

Last edited:

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
I like seeing the colorful little parakeets at the pet shop.

Some have a vivid emerald green, some a more dull leaf green, and some cyan that seems almost like the vivid cyan of a PC screen.

(they don't seem too interested in people watching them though)
Something I've learned about color mutations:
They're often done through inbreeding. Get a bird from a bad breeder and their lifespan will be short and problematic. I've seen a few bird owners on twitter go through it, but I think the problem is mostly with cockatiel breeding. As they've become more popular pets.
People just gotta have those different feather patterns.

I'm personally a fan of the natural colors.
1580524370179.png
1580524329771.png
1580524917611.png
there's something magical about the natural balance of colors

Recently I was reading some about birds at home continually laying eggs. I'd probably shit a brick if I found my bird had suddenly laid an egg, especially if it was in my laundry or something.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm personally a fan of the natural colors.
Is it still possible for parakeets in "unnatural colors" to still live healthy lives with no major issues?

It's amazing that birbs can be in pretty much any color possible. Meanwhile mammals are usually in boring browns and greys.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
Bu
Is it still possible for parakeets in "unnatural colors" to still live healthy lives with no major issues?

It's amazing that birbs can be in pretty much any color possible. Meanwhile mammals are usually in boring browns and greys.
Budgies should be ok afaik. Just stay away from English budgies, their lifespan is about 7 years shorter. The budgie breeding game caused English budgies to come about, as well as others such as feather duster budgies, who aren't viable.

Budgies actually cant come in reds because its not in their genetic code. Thats why theres no true rainbow budgies, even though you know people would love it.

Botched Tit Job

Rachet & Sad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There is a small family of wrens that have had a nest in one of my buildings vents for a few years now. They had eggs last spring and they were so cute and puffy. One of the kids stuck around. Now we've got 3 of them that sit outside the nest every morning, looking like little sleepy puffballs.

Worth the fire risk probably

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
trivia time:

In the Civilization 2 series (Fantastic Worlds and Test of Time), there's a Norse mythology inspired fantasy scenario called Midgard. One of the playable people are the Buteo, birdfolk -- people with bird wings -- who can employ giant birbs to help.

Death Grip

Tethered to the shore, we are...
kiwifarms.net
I stole this from another thread, but it deserves to be on here:.
Also this story features a cat and ducklings. It's kind of gross but also kind of amazing and cute;

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
So I've managed to turn my garden and smallholding into some sort of birb paradise and I'm attracting fucking everything. My wife has been doing some online bird survey shit because she's got flu (not wu-flu thankfully) and has nothing better to do than watch the birds. Aside from 12 chickens and one mud covered, noisy as shit duck, our bird list comprises of: Blue Tits, Great Tits, Blackbirds, The local, extremely badass Robin that fucks up all challengers for his territory, Pied Wagtails, Long-tailed Tits, Goldfinches, Sparrows, Collared Doves, Turtle Doves, Pheasants (yummy), Partridges (extra yummy), Treecreepers, Nuthatches, Starlings, Green Woodpeckers, Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, A lazy ass Buzzard that prefers to walk around looking for worms instead of hunting because why be a massive bird of prey that can take fucking lambs, that's EFFORT!, The rest of the Buzzards family who actually behave like apex predators, ALL the Crows, ALL the Pigeons, Herons, an Egret, Moorhens, a random Cormorant, Kestrels, Harris Hawks, a Kingfisher, for like a second because those fuckers are the F117 of the bird world, Wrens and an Oystercatcher. Apparently I own the UK's premier Birdwatching location.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also speaking of vidya, my favorite "vehicle" in the Pilotwings games is Birdman from 64 -- it's flying like Icarus and Daedalus.

(minus the tragic ending)

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
Also speaking of vidya, my favorite "vehicle" in the Pilotwings games is Birdman from 64 -- it's flying like Icarus and Daedalus.

(minus the tragic ending)
That's the most redundant spoiler on this forum. Nobody here is reading Greek mythology and getting excited about how it ends. Nobody who has EVER read Greek Mythology is excited about HOW it ends, they're excited that it's over!

Tags
None