THE BIRD THREAD - Post birds, discuss birds or even sniff birds.

• Images may fail sporadically. I have taken measures to keep the site working under high load at the expense of static content. The new server is ETA 7~10 days.

How much do you love birds?

• Total voters

Mariposa Colorado

kiwifarms.net
We had a very shitty bird year last year. Alot of green has been destroyed in the neighborhood because they needed to plant appartments, so alot of ducks and waterfowl is gone. The blackbird also had a weird disease last year that killed off alot of 'm.
Now I finally see more blackbirds (probably because it's such a fair and mild winter) and there are tons of these little critters too!(great tit and tail tit)
Aegithalos_caudatus_Apley_1.jpg
baby tits

WarJams

kiwifarms.net
So I've managed to turn my garden and smallholding into some sort of birb paradise and I'm attracting fucking everything. My wife has been doing some online bird survey shit because she's got flu (not wu-flu thankfully) and has nothing better to do than watch the birds. Aside from 12 chickens and one mud covered, noisy as shit duck, our bird list comprises of: Blue Tits, Great Tits, Blackbirds, The local, extremely badass Robin that fucks up all challengers for his territory, Pied Wagtails, Long-tailed Tits, Goldfinches, Sparrows, Collared Doves, Turtle Doves, Pheasants (yummy), Partridges (extra yummy), Treecreepers, Nuthatches, Starlings, Green Woodpeckers, Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers, A lazy ass Buzzard that prefers to walk around looking for worms instead of hunting because why be a massive bird of prey that can take fucking lambs, that's EFFORT!, The rest of the Buzzards family who actually behave like apex predators, ALL the Crows, ALL the Pigeons, Herons, an Egret, Moorhens, a random Cormorant, Kestrels, Harris Hawks, a Kingfisher, for like a second because those fuckers are the F117 of the bird world, Wrens and an Oystercatcher. Apparently I own the UK's premier Birdwatching location.
A Harris's Hawk in the UK? Must be an escapee. It's always neat to see a "this shouldn't be here" bird; I think that's what makes bird-watching the most fun, since you never know what you might find.

Keep up the good work on your little slice of paradise.

LazarusOwenhart

Terrainist Shitlord!
kiwifarms.net
A Harris's Hawk in the UK? Must be an escapee. It's always neat to see a "this shouldn't be here" bird; I think that's what makes bird-watching the most fun, since you never know what you might find.

Keep up the good work on your little slice of paradise.
I suspect it is. They're quite a popular bird for falconry. It seems to do quite well.

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
I live in a shithole of suburbia with very little foliage and a lot of squirrels that my neighbor feeds. :feels:
Last year I got lucky and some Robins nested on the porch. Hope it's better this year, I mostly get a ton of house finches, robins, and some ravens that like the supermarket close by. I still love them but it sucks living in a new-ish development with little birding options.

MerriedxReldnahc

World's Okay-est Proctologist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty certain I saw a Perigrine Falcon on my run today. I live near a known nesting spot and there's often wildlife groups out observing, but it was still pretty suprising becasue it was flying low. I don't know if I've ever seen one that clearly. Usually they're just vague specks up on the rocks but the one I saw was in the same airspace as the seagulls. It's a good thing they don't act like seagulls, can you imagine trying to eat some fries by the bay and one of these big mothers show up?
5d694c02394c3.image.jpg.jpeg

Mariposa Colorado

kiwifarms.net
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor blackbirds singing
Blackbirds are back, baby! It's been ages since I heard them (they were stuck with a disease) and now they are whisteling and singing like crazy. The weather has been super mild but wet and they love the rain, right?

__
Also, I don't know if this has been posted yet, but I found these weird pictures of an owl like being. They DO exist, they are are called potoo's...
Afbeeldingsresultaat voor weird owl  mouth

Tags
None