THE BIRD THREAD - Post birds, discuss birds or even sniff birds.

How much do you love birds?

• Total voters

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, there's even a lot of evidence that they're capable of future planning which is something that was thought to only be present in great apes and humans. They did an experiment on Hawaiian Crows (which are extinct in the wild) and they were able to recognize that they would need a certain length stick to get a food reward out of a container, and they then went out and modified sticks to be just the right length. Granted in this case I think there may have been some unnatural selection. Hawaiian Crows went extinct in the wild after heavy urbanization of the islands, and the breeding program grabbed up survivors well after the population took a massive dive. I'd suspect that if you made a "crow IQ test" and rated normal at 100 like a human test, that it would be found that the subjects in captivity were at least two standard deviations above the mean. I think what happened was basically the smart ones survived the longest and those were the ones that ultimately ended up in the breeding program. Since intelligence is largely dictated by genetics and you only had the most intellectual individuals reproducing, you basically had a reverse Idiocracy effect.

SuiSui1

kiwifarms.net
ac55eb6c9ced7adffe0312b129a66be0.jpg

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
at work I'll often leave the local media's Downtown Cam on for sort of aquarium background noise
today this fella shows up and is clearly happy with his new hangout, he was there for about an hour before it was time for me to go home

Image1.jpg

I have some proper screencaps too but this captures the isness nicely

喪女

"mojyo"
kiwifarms.net
I really like ornamental chickens. These are some of my favourite ones:

Gold_Onagadori.jpg onagadori.jpg

This is an Onagadori chicken, it is Japanese. It is renowned for it's long tail, which has been known to get up to 12ft long. The Phoenix, another popular breed of chicken, derives from the Onagadori. Unfortunately, it is endangered.

polish.jpgWhite-Crested-Black-Polish-Bantam-7393.jpg

Polish chickens are some of my favourites because of their plumage. They always make me smile.

Sebright_Gold_Doré.jpg Silver_Sebright_hen.jpg

Sebright's are a British ornamental chicken. I also like their feathers, these birds are very aesthetic.

Ayam-Cemani-hitam-sampai-dalam.jpg

This chicken, the Ayam Cemani, is very unique due to it's overabundance of melanin. This chicken is pure black - it's feathers, meat, bones, etc. Oddly enough, it does lay normal coloured eggs. They are also one of the most expensive chickens, an adult bird can cost up to $2,500.

And they've already been mentioned before, but... I gotta shout out my niggas:

Brown-traditional-silkie-chicken--e1554166243231.jpg ma-swanky-silkies-silkie-showgirl-hatching-eggs-and-chicks-21901065.jpg

Silkies are phenomenal. They are renowned for their broodiness and fantastic temperament. They are also decent egg layers which makes them practical. If you are looking into owning chickens for the first time, give Silkies a chance.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
I really like ornamental chickens. These are some of my favourite ones:

View attachment 1669691 View attachment 1669708

This is an Onagadori chicken, it is Japanese. It is renowned for it's long tail, which has been known to get up to 12ft long. The Phoenix, another popular breed of chicken, derives from the Onagadori. Unfortunately, it is endangered.

View attachment 1669693View attachment 1669696

Polish chickens are some of my favourites because of their plumage. They always make me smile.

View attachment 1669701 View attachment 1669702

Sebright's are a British ornamental chicken. I also like their feathers, these birds are very aesthetic.

View attachment 1669709

This chicken, the Ayam Cemani, is very unique due to it's overabundance of melanin. This chicken is pure black - it's feathers, meat, bones, etc. Oddly enough, it does lay normal coloured eggs. They are also one of the most expensive chickens, an adult bird can cost up to $2,500.

And they've already been mentioned before, but... I gotta shout out my niggas:

View attachment 1669715 View attachment 1669716

Silkies are phenomenal. They are renowned for their broodiness and fantastic temperament. They are also decent egg layers which makes them practical. If you are looking into owning chickens for the first time, give Silkies a chance.
My coworker who has chickens says the only bad thing about Silkies is that they can't be allowed to get wet (his are free range) as the feathers aren't waterproof at all. So they need to be kept penned up inside if it might rain.

喪女

"mojyo"
kiwifarms.net
IRL Dragon Chicken:

The breed is called "Dong Tao" and it has Vietnamese origins. These are the one of the most expensive chickens in the world and their legs are a delicacy in Vietnam. They are difficult to breed since their giant legs often crush their eggs, so the offspring generally are kept in an incubator.

dong-tao-chicken-5[6].jpg dong-tao-chicken-3[2].jpg

Kurosaki Ichigo

Super Sp00ky
kiwifarms.net
IRL Dragon Chicken:

The breed is called "Dong Tao" and it has Vietnamese origins. These are the one of the most expensive chickens in the world and their legs are a delicacy in Vietnam. They are difficult to breed since their giant legs often crush their eggs, so the offspring generally are kept in an incubator.

View attachment 1672259 View attachment 1672260
They look like they were stung by bees :(

SuiSui1

kiwifarms.net
How easy would it be to snap a goose's neck in a self defense situation where one is attacking you?

difficult, especially depending on the type.
Greylag.jpg

a grey goose
75298411-1200px.jpg

Canadian Goose
then a swan
muteswan_wide-85d32ba88afb35432be56b3e8c9353b825b7b155.jpg

considering how flexible the neck is, grabbing it would be a challenge and ontop of that you have a 20-50 pound bird flaping it's wings and kicking with spurs.

So my advice, if you are not hunting, keep your distance from the danger birbs.

喪女

"mojyo"
kiwifarms.net
So my advice, if you are not hunting, keep your distance from the danger birbs.

Keeping your distance is always the best solution. Geese are very territorial and do whatever they can to protect their young. However, if anyone is ever in the unfortunate circumstance where they have an encounter with an aggressive goose:

1. Watch for warning signs, such as straightening of the neck, bobbing their head up and down and honking/hissing. These are signs of aggression, geese give you fair warning before they attack. Ideally, try to leave the area before the goose gets agitated.
  2. If the goose becomes aggressive and approaches you, remain calm and back away slowly. Maintain eye contact and do not turn your back on the goose. Use your peripheral vision to make sure you do not trip on anything while backing up, either. This can trigger them to attack you.
  3. Do not run away, do not get hostile, do not make any aggressive motions towards the goose. In most areas they are protected in the off-season, and only licensed hunters can shoot them during the hunting season. Being angry or excited can trigger the goose and put it in an aggressive state. Again, take deep breaths and try to stay cool.

And if you do get bitten/whacked by a wing head to the hospital to get checked out, large waterfowl are capable of doing serious damage. There have been geese encounters where the person being attacked has ended up with broken bones. My grandmother from the U.K. always used to joke about how Canada's repressed anger is within our geese.

Don't be this guy during a goose encounter. The bird will pwn you every time.

Last edited: