THE BIRD THREAD - Post birds, discuss birds or even sniff birds.

How much do you love birds?

• Total voters

Surf and TERF

kiwifarms.net
Birds look nice and have an impressive capacity for empathy, but they shit too often and too indiscriminately for me to appreciate them as companions.

I have a bird story that I like. There is a cow-like individual named Edwin Rist who robbed Tring's natural history museum in 2009. He broke a window, walked in, and took 299 bird skins without being challenged. A single feather some of these birds can be worth $10 and many specimens are from Alfred Wallace, who is thought to have discovered evolution before Darwin did. They were all destroyed for fly fishing.

When Edwin was finally taken to court for this, he got off on account of having aspergers. He later suggested in a recording that he faked the disorder to avoid punishment. He's 31 now and still hasn't faced any repercussions.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Large and Positron

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
they shit too often and too indiscriminately
Yeah aside from having cats that would appreciate the fun new things to murder, I don't get birds because I would feel bad about having them locked up in cages but birds literally just shit and piss at random as far as I know so letting them roam the place at their discretion isn't going to work either.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
Yeah aside from having cats that would appreciate the fun new things to murder, I don't get birds because I would feel bad about having them locked up in cages but birds literally just shit and piss at random as far as I know so letting them roam the place at their discretion isn't going to work either.
Birds don't pee, and they don't just poop everywhere, theyre not gonna not make little poops, but depending on training they tend to poop around their cages.

Keeping birds in a cage isn't good for their mental well-being. It's true for all birds, but with larger ones like cockatoos they'll get bored and pluck out their own feathers if they don't have mental stimulation or enrichment. Birds are social, especially parrots, they need to be around other birds or have lots of interaction with people/toys to avoid boredom and depression.

This also comes in to clipping flight wings. Flight is physically healthy for the bird and it's extremely mentally stimulating. Clipping wings is only done for human convenience, train the bird and don't give it opprotunity to escape and the bird isn't gonna fly away. They'll get into annoying places but they're mischevious, especially as "teenagers." It's just important to have a good relationship with them. They should wanna come down for their cage eventually, and hopefully the house is birdproofed.

Cages also aren't bird prisons given they're raised correctly. Birds also value privacy and quiet comfort, that's why you can't keep more than one large bird in a cage and why a bird owner might have to show the bird their old cage is being destroyed when getting a new one.

Birds make great companions, but they're a handful and most people don't have an idea of the pros and cons of them, or just how different they are from dogs, or even how smart and clean they are. (they love to bathe in water and preen their feathers, some sandbathe, either way their wet pants are cute.)

shartshooter

kiwifarms.net
Also some birds are intelligent enough to get depressed they aren't out in a forest with bird bros and self harm. I'd rather have something bred domesticated.
tmg-article_tall.jpg

I'm an avian enthusiast, I love all birds, they're just fun.

I currently own Zebra Finches, which I adopted because I'm not a small bird in a cage sort of person, but I like them. They're fairly low maintenance pets, and they're good company.

I have a running joke in my family that they're planning on carrying on Hitler's imperial designs, by creating a Bird Reich and controlling the worlds string supply.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino