The Boys - An Amazon Prime adaptation of the Ennis comic series

TungstenCarbide

kiwifarms.net
Interesting. I'm wondering how they are planning to do this, since the last episode plot twist surely hit Butcher like a ton of bricks. If they really planned more than two seasons, then maybe they should have kept the revelation about Butcher's wife for the last season.

• Feels
Reactions: Violence Jack

Lipitor

huh?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oh the series can be darkly hilarious. You know you're in for great TV when you see a crazy frenchman in full delight-mode after finally figuring out how to kill a person with impenetrable skin by shoving a fucking plastic bomb up their ass.
I really liked that. I thought for sure the twist was going to be poisoning the guy, since that's what the show tried to lead you on to believe... yet instead these psychos found a far more devious path to killing the guy. And it didn't seem just for shock value, but something that made the plot more riveting.

I also really liked that this is a short digestible 8 episode series.. it doesn't over stay it's welcome.. and you feel like you watched a 13 episode season, but with none of the filler. It was well executed.

Liucage67

kiwifarms.net
I still don’t know how or why that the Boys got a t.v adaptation before other deserving series

I mean back in the day you had comics that were doing the whole deconstruction of superheroes MUCH better than the boys. EX: Supreme Power by JMS and the The Authority Ellis run.

Also, The Boys is also a blatant ripoff Marshal Law and Team Achilles it’s not even funny, Like how the fuck Ennis was not sued.

As for the show, improvement from the comics but they watered down butch too much

U

UQ 770

kiwifarms.net
Rich And Jay Talk About The Boys
Well I was going to confine my opinon of that video to the RLM thread, but suffice to say they make it sound pretty goddamn good. The cliffhanger ending worries me but I think the OP said the show was already renewed for a second season. Also, how the fuck did I not notice Karl Urban in one of the lead roles? The man is a fucking cameleon, I swear. Funny that before the show aired I made a comparison to Dredd. Downloading right away.

Reactions: 1 person
U

UQ 770

kiwifarms.net
Yeah episode 5 sort of goes off the rails/source material and takes a big shit on Christians. But this is inevitable, it's American TV. Jewish tv execs hate America. They confined it to one episode at least.
A grimdark setting implies the churches are corrupt shitfests and that there is no God? I'm shocked. I absolutely expect that a series where the trailer opens with a human being getting spattered into thin paste on the sidewalk would be more pious. I'm going to write to my local pastor immediately and complain about this.

U

UQ 770

kiwifarms.net
It wasn't offensive to me at all, but I'm sure fans of the comic who also happen to be christian are salty because the show did stray from the comic specifically to shit on Christians.
I'm plenty sure the church is big enough to take a few lumps every now and then. Its also a time-honored tradition in edgy works anyway ever since the bullshit moral panics of the 1980s. In some cases I'm more annoyed that a work shits on Christianity just to be edgy than if they actually hate Christianity, since the autists who do hate the Bible at least try to make a good point sometimes.

• Agree
Reactions: Uncanny Valley
U

UQ 770

kiwifarms.net
I think in 2019 to be truly edgy you have to shit on Islam.
Its getting to the point where its becoming passé, actually. Though I've desperately wanted a comedy sketch show about suicide bombers failing in random, extremely stupid ways for years now. Just hearing one time that a group of total fuckheads actually had a car bomb that got towed kept me grinning for weeks. Even if that turns out to be an urban legend, the scenario is so funny I can't stop thinking about it.

N

NN 401

kiwifarms.net
I'm plenty sure the church is big enough to take a few lumps every now and then. Its also a time-honored tradition in edgy works anyway ever since the bullshit moral panics of the 1980s. In some cases I'm more annoyed that a work shits on Christianity just to be edgy than if they actually hate Christianity, since the autists who do hate the Bible at least try to make a good point sometimes.

Starlight’s speech is the one thing that kind of hit a sour note for me. Mainly because it was obvious that it was written from the perspective of someone who has no clue what it’s like being religious or struggle with faith and god at all. Her faith really has no tooth to it.
Why not have her be a virgin? Or someone who slept with their boyfriend and regretted it? Something???
At the same time the whole “we are all just humans and no one has the answers, “ bit is a cop out as well.
I mean for fuck’s sake the Believe festival is exemplary of the circle jerking that evangelicals can sometimes fall prey to. A useless event where people spend money instead of going out there and living and acting in their faith.

U

UQ 770

kiwifarms.net
Starlight’s speech is the one thing that kind of hit a sour note for me. Mainly because it was obvious that it was written from the perspective of someone who has no clue what it’s like being religious or struggle with faith and god at all. Her faith really has no tooth to it.
Why not have her be a virgin? Or someone who slept with their boyfriend and regretted it? Something???
At the same time the whole “we are all just humans and no one has the answers, “ bit is a cop out as well.
I mean for fuck’s sake the Believe festival is exemplary of the circle jerking that evangelicals can sometimes fall prey to. A useless event where people spend money instead of going out there and living and acting in their faith.
I'll back off and admit I still haven't seen it yet, but she could be one of those people who is so afraid of Hell she can't comprehend the rest of the narrative. I am fully talking out of my ass here and just making presumptions now though, maybe I'll be proven wrong later.

Affluent Reptilian

kiwifarms.net
I still don’t know how or why that the Boys got a t.v adaptation before other deserving series

I mean back in the day you had comics that were doing the whole deconstruction of superheroes MUCH better than the boys. EX: Supreme Power by JMS and the The Authority Ellis run.

Also, The Boys is also a blatant ripoff Marshal Law and Team Achilles it’s not even funny, Like how the fuck Ennis was not sued.

As for the show, improvement from the comics but they watered down butch too much
You'd have to change even more than they did for The Boys to do Marshal Law. The primary Marshal Law mini has a plot that could be adapted, but it would need tons of work as the whole setting and the characters are much more obviously a caricature, and it'd be too bizarre to present without a huge amount of work. The core plot of the Boys is easier to adapt.

I also didn't think Ellis' Authority actually did much to 'deconstruct' (I really hate that word for various reasons unrelated to the present conversation but I get what you mean) superheroes, despite that that's how it's known - I actually think most of that kind of thing that Ellis did was in his Stormwatch run which segued into the Authority, but jettisoned most of the themes about the raw power of superheroes in favour of big dumb action. Brubaker did more of that kind of thing with his run, as did... Ugh... Millar... Even though Millar did it terribly.

Also, JMS' Supreme Power never ended or even got as far as the halfway mark, even though it was really good, particularly the part sold under the title Supreme Power rather than Squadron Supreme. Fuck Marvel for screwing that up. JMS was himself taking the themes from the original Squadron Supreme comics.

And if we're going to talk about fantasy Wildstorm adaptations, I'd want Sleeper (which is such a perfect spy/noir hybrid in a world of superheroes) or WildCATs 3.0 (which had a look at an interesting alternative to superheroes just forcing everyone to change by brute strength, where the superheroes used our own society to motivate change within the current framework).

N

NN 401

kiwifarms.net
In the comic she is outright overpowered and gang raped on her first day as part of the 7. This would put a damper on her religious convictions. In the show it makes less sense as she willingly gave a blow job.
This is something that I’ve heard people say.
Ultimately, Starlight chose to blow the Deep in order to remain in the 7. She could have walked away and continued fighting crime on her own. She’s a super hero after all.
The Deep’s own rape seemed far more coercive to me. Probably because it looked horribly painful.

Tags
None