The Boys - An Amazon Prime adaptation of the Ennis comic series

Sinners Sandwich

Eid Htrad Redav Eid !
kiwifarms.net
So I watched episode & it 4 was fucking boring. Yesterday I watched the first 3 episodes & loved it but today after ep 4 I already had enough. I hope 5 is better.

The french speaking dude is also really annoying. I often don't even understand what he is saying. English is my second language, I can understand most dialects tho but this guy? Ugh the actor is just mumbling.

Locomotive Derangement

Reducing Speed
kiwifarms.net
I'm a short way into it and this show is already very relatable. I hate everything about it for that reason. Objectively there's nothing wrong with it and it seems to think the way I do about, well, most of what its talking about, so I guess I have to keep watching.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: frozenrunner

Commander X

kiwifarms.net
Sampled it and found it rather boring. If you like writing that tries to be "up to the minute" i.e. be about what ever hot topic issues were being obsessed over by the Extremely Online just the other day and that laboriously spells out the themes and story beats to the audience, you are in for a treat. If you enjoy bland, barely competent filmography of the sort that never aims any higher because they're just going to plug in a bunch of bad computer graphics later, right?‽ you are in for a treat also. Seriously, if this is the sort of "original" material streaming services are producing, well it's making me feel even better and better about having cancelled Netflix and Amazon, et. al. lately.

Reactions: RadicalCentrist

Feline Supremacist

I am a Dog-Exclusionary Radical Felinist
kiwifarms.net
I liked it, I'm about to watch Ep 4. Karl Urban is great. I've always been a Garth Ennis fan and if anything the Amazon series isn't edgy enough but that's Kripke's doing. He's always done TV that starts with a great premise but falls flat in the second season. I hope he doesn't fuck this up but I'm not optimistic.

• Feels
Reactions: Altera the Hun

Locomotive Derangement

Reducing Speed
kiwifarms.net
Karl Urban is absolutely playing one of the most cartoonish characters I've ever seen. His accent sounds like he's trying to do both a Johnny Depp impersonation and an impersonation of James Mason. If that combination makes sense to anyone else. In any other setting I would probably hate this, but every time he's on screen I feel such a sense of relief compared to the sanitized corporate nightmare shit and socially awkward psychotic stuff. I find the two protagonists so far to be extremely relatable not because I've been in their situations, but because I've seriously met people who act like this in real life.

I think a lot of the stuff that's really turning people off from this show is deliberate. It borders on cringe humor sometimes.

Truthspeaker

Walking that line between victim and ex-lover
kiwifarms.net
*Huge-ass post incoming.*

Watched most of it last night.

The highs were very high, but it's still an uneven series. I have my issues with Ennis, but most of the issues I have with him were actually exacerbated by the show rather than tempered. You'd think an entire team of people could've added to things rather than just subtracted.

I wish I had more to go on, but it feels like Seth Rogen's responsible. I appreciate him expanding his range though, and I don't wanna pass blanket judgement without knowing more like Yahtzee did with Team Ninja for Other M only to get it wrong completely.

A grimdark setting implies the churches are corrupt shitfests and that there is no God? I'm shocked. I absolutely expect that a series where the trailer opens with a human being getting spattered into thin paste on the sidewalk would be more pious. I'm going to write to my local pastor immediately and complain about this.
It wasn't offensive to me at all, but I'm sure fans of the comic who also happen to be christian are salty because the show did stray from the comic specifically to shit on Christians.
An Ennis series shitting on religion in general and Christianity in particular isn't a "stray". Preacher was a very anti-Christian work the entire way through.

The problem with it was that Ennis doesn't actually know that much about religion generally, knows less about particular religions, and doesn't have much interest in learning.

But Ennis himself is still more thoughtful than the writing team for The Boys. I haven't read much of the series, but from what I have read, many of the changes were for the worst,* including the ones I understood why they changed.**

* There are supervillains in the original from the start, which makes significantly more sense. The Female works with them from the beginning, which also makes more sense. The Boys have actual government support from the beginning, whereas they actively turn it down in the show.

** Butch beating Homelander's rape baby to death after it killed his wife was extremely gruesome, but it's also the prime reaaon he hates supes on principle. The hijacking the supes fuck up stopping was 9/11 in the comics (I believe they cause the destruction of the Brooklyn Bridge instead); but it just doesn't make sense for anybody, especially not Americans, to not fight terrorist hijackers to the death after 9/11 (which only worked because people back then expeced the hijackers to want to survive, and not to turn the plane into a missile).

Starlight’s speech is the one thing that kind of hit a sour note for me. Mainly because it was obvious that it was written from the perspective of someone who has no clue what it’s like being religious or struggle with faith and god at all. Her faith really has no tooth to it.
Why not have her be a virgin? Or someone who slept with their boyfriend and regretted it? Something???
At the same time the whole “we are all just humans and no one has the answers, “ bit is a cop out as well.
I mean for fuck’s sake the Believe festival is exemplary of the circle jerking that evangelicals can sometimes fall prey to. A useless event where people spend money instead of going out there and living and acting in their faith.
She's not a virgin in the comics, even before she got blowbanged by supes, but they already changed enough of her character to where they can't argue fidelity is a priority. Making her one, and having her betray her values by sucking off a supe for money and fame, would've added some punch that they took away by making it just one guy instead of three.

They also greatly cut down on Starlight's religiosity in general. Ennis may be uninformed about religion, but he at least tried. The writing team for the show didn't even go that far, as if they couldn't imagine how someone from that background could actually buy into any of it.

What's sad is that the Christian Rally was very clearly supposed to be based on Hillsong, which is an extremely sinister organization founded by an Australian Pedophile named Frank Houston. Shaun Benson's character is very clearly based on Pastor Carl Lentz, who currently heads their NYC chapter, and is credibly rumored to be one of the many men fucking Justin Bieber in the ass and mouth. They're ripe for takedowns, but almost all the people who do the best job with it come at it from a Christian perspective that is deeply alienating to progressives, secularists, and postmodernists, so I doubt they read anything like this blogpost eviscerating Hillsong before writing the episode.

This is something that I’ve heard people say.
Ultimately, Starlight chose to blow the Deep in order to remain in the 7. She could have walked away and continued fighting crime on her own. She’s a super hero after all.
The Deep’s own rape seemed far more coercive to me. Probably because it looked horribly painful.
She could've walked away in the comics, too. But three guys are a lot more intimidating than one, especially since the three guys who did it in the comics (Homelander, Black Noir, and A-Train) actually could've easily destroyed her physically, whereas she's blatantly way more powerful than not-Aquaman even in Episode 1.

To be honest, Starlight is my least-favorite thing about the show. Dominique McElligott's a fucking babe, but she doesn't really seem to understand how a character like Starlight would actually behave. Even more unfortunately, nor does the writing team.

Locomotive Derangement

Reducing Speed
kiwifarms.net
But Ennis himself is still more thoughtful than the writing team for The Boys. I haven't read much of the series, but from what I have read, many of the changes were for the worst,* including the ones I understood why they changed.**
I can detect what they're trying to do with these changes since I speak this show's language. When I first read up on the comics before even a rumor of this show existed, I was actually highly disappointed that The Boys were superhuman themselves. Maybe I just inherently resent the idea of people being better than me, but I wanted a story of normal people taking down overpowered characters essentially with their own gumption and ingenuity. I was honestly surprised that the show decided to go with this theme and not even pay lipservice to the idea that The Boys need augmentation to compete.

Additionally, the cult stuff is probably as mishandled as you say it is. I've been a total atheist basically from the start, but I've experienced enough episodes of euphoric delusional behavior to understand that there's a lot of danger in the combination of sincere belief and manipulation. I don't think the show is intentionally trying to go full fedora "Hur Durr REEEligion is for stupids". I think you're correct and the writers actually just don't know what the hell they're talking about and they tried to attack a topic way bigger than them.

The blowjob shit appears to be the same thing. Like its trying to make some larger point about #MeToo and the way people will sometimes choose to do something humilating to get what they want and suffer massive buyers remorse later on. But it feels incomplete so it just seems nonsensical.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
*Huge-ass post incoming.*

Watched most of it last night.

The highs were very high, but it's still an uneven series. I have my issues with Ennis, but most of the issues I have with him were actually exacerbated by the show rather than tempered. You'd think an entire team of people could've added to things rather than just subtracted.

I wish I had more to go on, but it feels like Seth Rogen's responsible. I appreciate him expanding his range though, and I don't wanna pass blanket judgement without knowing more like Yahtzee did with Team Ninja for Other M only to get it wrong completely.

An Ennis series shitting on religion in general and Christianity in particular isn't a "stray". Preacher was a very anti-Christian work the entire way through.

The problem with it was that Ennis doesn't actually know that much about religion generally, knows less about particular religions, and doesn't have much interest in learning.

* There are supervillains in the original from the start, which makes significantly more sense. The Female works with them from the beginning, which also makes more sense. The Boys have actual government support from the beginning, whereas they actively turn it down in the show.

** Butch beating Homelander's rape baby to death after it killed his wife was extremely gruesome, but it's also the prime reaaon he hates supes on principle. The hijacking the supes fuck up stopping was 9/11 in the comics (I believe they cause the destruction of the Brooklyn Bridge instead); but it just doesn't make sense for anybody, especially not Americans, to not fight terrorist hijackers to the death after 9/11 (which only worked because people back then expeced the hijackers to want to survive, and not to turn the plane into a missile).

She's not a virgin in the comics, even before she got blowbanged by supes, but they already changed enough of her character to where they can't argue fidelity is a priority. Making her one, and having her betray her values by sucking off a supe for money and fame, would've added some punch that they took away by making it just one guy instead of three.

They also greatly cut down on Starlight's religiosity in general. Ennis may be uninformed about religion, but he at least tried. The writing team for the show didn't even go that far, as if they couldn't imagine how someone from that background could actually buy into any of it.

What's sad is that the Christian Rally was very clearly supposed to be based on Hillsong, which is an extremely sinister organization founded by an Australian Pedophile named Frank Houston. Shaun Benson's character is very clearly based on Pastor Carl Lentz, who currently heads their NYC chapter, and is credibly rumored to be one of the many men fucking Justin Bieber in the ass and mouth. They're ripe for takedowns, but almost all the people who do the best job with it come at it from a Christian perspective that is deeply alienating to progressives, secularists, and postmodernists, so I doubt they read anything like this blogpost eviscerating Hillsong before writing the episode.

She could've walked away in the comics, too. But three guys are a lot more intimidating than one, especially since the three guys who did it in the comics (Homelander, Black Noir, and A-Train) actually could've easily destroyed her physically, whereas she's blatantly way more powerful than not-Aquaman even in Episode 1.

To be honest, Starlight is my least-favorite thing about the show. Dominique McElligott's a fucking babe, but she doesn't really seem to understand how a character like Starlight would actually behave. Even more unfortunately, nor does the writing team.
Difference of opinion and all that but I have to disagree. I read the comic to a certain point (roughly 20 something issues in) because I really detested the comic. It has good ideas but the writing was bad, there were quite a few logical problems, and it was the most OTT 13-year-old edge lord shit I have ever fucking read. It reminded me of something a kid who animated school shooting videos on Newgrounds circa 2003 would write.

All of the changes made in the show were positive changes. 99% of the crap was cut right out.

Last edited:

Locomotive Derangement

Reducing Speed
kiwifarms.net
Ennis tried to do a takedown of super heroes when he didn't understand them. Even Alan fucking Moore paid lip service to the idea that some people would do genuine good with their powers.
The point is probably more meant to be that attempting to do good with your superpowers is horribly difficult due to the level of ambiguity in the world and the way people might percieve you. Eventually you just snap and become a monster. For the show anyway. For the comic its a much more hopeless world.

Feline Supremacist

kiwifarms.net
Karl Urban is absolutely playing one of the most cartoonish characters I've ever seen. His accent sounds like he's trying to do both a Johnny Depp impersonation and an impersonation of James Mason. If that combination makes sense to anyone else. In any other setting I would probably hate this, but every time he's on screen I feel such a sense of relief compared to the sanitized corporate nightmare shit and socially awkward psychotic stuff. I find the two protagonists so far to be extremely relatable not because I've been in their situations, but because I've seriously met people who act like this in real life.

I think a lot of the stuff that's really turning people off from this show is deliberate. It borders on cringe humor sometimes.
Karl Urban at his campiest and/or worst is a thousand times better than someone like Chris Evans at his best. This is a refutation of super hero tropes and I'm sure that makes the less introspective uncomfortable but that's the point.

Some else mentioned feeling sympathetic for The Deep and I was surprised but I feel for him too but I guess it's another year-long wait to find out what's in store for him.

Locomotive Derangement

Reducing Speed
kiwifarms.net
Some else mentioned feeling sympathetic for The Deep and I was surprised but I feel for him too but I guess it's another year-long wait to find out what's in store for him.
All of the superheroes come off as emotionally damaged people who seem to be unable to process both the shit that's been done to them and the shit that they do to other people. Somehow this stupid bullshit has become the most accurate illustration of people with power I've ever seen. I want to say its brilliant, but I'm still sure they're going to fuck it up later.

Nekromantik2

kiwifarms.net
The scene with him getting raped and then getting called a freak made me feel bad for him. And any part where he's talking to sea creatures, you can tell he's so lonely. Really, if you have super powers that a best used in the water and you spend 95% of you time on dry land, you'd probably go a little crazy.

Affluent Reptilian

kiwifarms.net
Do those who think the changes for the worst think much of the depiction of Homelander? I think Antony Starr nails it, depicting someone with superficial charisma who can appear convincingly to others in-universe as a hero, while being pretty vile and incredibly maladjusted under that. Obviously, Homelander's character is a bit different, between the mother complex (he had a father one in the comics) and being much more manipulative.

BlastDoors41

kiwifarms.net
Do those who think the changes for the worst think much of the depiction of Homelander? I think Antony Starr nails it, depicting someone with superficial charisma who can appear convincingly to others in-universe as a hero, while being pretty vile and incredibly maladjusted under that. Obviously, Homelander's character is a bit different, between the mother complex (he had a father one in the comics) and being much more manipulative.

Antony Starr as Homelander is absolutely fucking fascinating to watch. He is at once sympathetic and terrifying. I was hundred percent convinced he was going to incinerate Stillwell’s baby.

There is no show without Homelander and I hope that the writers realize that and write a natural and satisfying conclusion to his arc and conflict with Billy (lol I know, optimistic).

Last edited:

iRON-mAn

kiwifarms.net
It's strange. During the build up and marketing I really had no desire to watch this show. After it came out, there seemed to be a lot of hype and people saying it was an amazing show. I'm still not really interested, but I decide to read some of the comics because I can power through 10-20 issues faster than I could find time to watch 3-4 episodes.

But here's the thing, I don't like the comics. They feel really shallow. It feels like one long 'lol superheroes are stupid' joke, with small breaks where Ennis tries to insert some sort of deeper meaning but fails. And the unrelenting cynicism. If everyone ends up being an asshole, why should I care? I like Hughie and Annie but I hold very little hope for them. And it's not like I just have a hateboner for Ennis. I've read Preacher and found it enjoyable enough, though pretty heavy handed at times. Maybe that's my problem with him, is that he's not subtle, even when he's trying to be.

In a very odd, roundabout way, though I've actually begun considering watching the show, not because I like the story but because I'm curious if the adaptation and the changes have actually evened out the storytelling and message. Though, from the last five pages, the answer I'm getting is...kinda?

BlastDoors41

kiwifarms.net
It's strange. During the build up and marketing I really had no desire to watch this show. After it came out, there seemed to be a lot of hype and people saying it was an amazing show. I'm still not really interested, but I decide to read some of the comics because I can power through 10-20 issues faster than I could find time to watch 3-4 episodes.

But here's the thing, I don't like the comics. They feel really shallow. It feels like one long 'lol superheroes are stupid' joke, with small breaks where Ennis tries to insert some sort of deeper meaning but fails. And the unrelenting cynicism. If everyone ends up being an asshole, why should I care? I like Hughie and Annie but I hold very little hope for them. And it's not like I just have a hateboner for Ennis. I've read Preacher and found it enjoyable enough, though pretty heavy handed at times. Maybe that's my problem with him, is that he's not subtle, even when he's trying to be.

In a very odd, roundabout way, though I've actually begun considering watching the show, not because I like the story but because I'm curious if the adaptation and the changes have actually evened out the storytelling and message. Though, from the last five pages, the answer I'm getting is...kinda?
I think it can best be said to clean up the source material a lot and run with the stronger elements. But it’s not without a misstep or two.

Maybe because I don’t work in this industry but the hate boner that WarrenEllis, Mark Millar, and Garth Ennis have for super heroes is old and tired and not one I really understand.

I suppose they got tired of being told what’s up and this is the material they’d have to write in order to get ahead in their career and it pissed them off?

Then again Moore and Gaiman had been doing their own thing for decades before these guys showed up and they’d didn’t bend the knee. I supposed it could be argued that Moore and Gaiman are leagues ahead in talent that is the key difference here.

Feline Supremacist

kiwifarms.net
I think it can best be said to clean up the source material a lot and run with the stronger elements. But it’s not without a misstep or two.

Maybe because I don’t work in this industry but the hate boner that WarrenEllis, Mark Millar, and Garth Ennis have for super heroes is old and tired and not one I really understand.

I suppose they got tired of being told what’s up and this is the material they’d have to write in order to get ahead in their career and it pissed them off?

Then again Moore and Gaiman had been doing their own thing for decades before these guys showed up and they’d didn’t bend the knee. I supposed it could be argued that Moore and Gaiman are leagues ahead in talent that is the key difference here.
I like Warren although I find his work hit or miss. I didn't read The Boys but I like Ennis' other works and Mark Millar is decent. Moore is way more subtle and as a result his work has a bigger impact on the reader.

• Agree
Reactions: TungstenCarbide
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino