The Collectors Market -

TrippinKahlua

Hosting a professional event at a Sheraton Hotel
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I really got into those Game Collecting Youtubers like Game Chasers and Pat the NES Punk all through the decade and really felt the urge to game hunt myself.

Problem was, I’m from an island, where the scene is nonexistent. No flea markets, no game stores, anyone who would have games wouldn’t part with them.

so beginning in 2018, I joined the convention scene to pump up my pitiful NES Collection. When I got back to the islands, I resorted to eBay where I’d have to pay double shipping for international shipping but I had the money to spare.

but hurricane Dorian caused me to move back to Florida. Most of my collection is still on the island, but one year after the storm, I have a car now and can finally have flea market hunting trips. I mainly buy VHS Tapes since people give those at 50 cents but I usually get about three games per trip.

I’d say I’m at 80 NES titles right now. Could be 100.

whatever I feel like

Disney Diaper Size Fetish Enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
I really got into those Game Collecting Youtubers like Game Chasers and Pat the NES Punk all through the decade and really felt the urge to game hunt myself.

Problem was, I’m from an island, where the scene is nonexistent. No flea markets, no game stores, anyone who would have games wouldn’t part with them.

so beginning in 2018, I joined the convention scene to pump up my pitiful NES Collection. When I got back to the islands, I resorted to eBay where I’d have to pay double shipping for international shipping but I had the money to spare.

but hurricane Dorian caused me to move back to Florida. Most of my collection is still on the island, but one year after the storm, I have a car now and can finally have flea market hunting trips. I mainly buy VHS Tapes since people give those at 50 cents but I usually get about three games per trip.

I’d say I’m at 80 NES titles right now. Could be 100.
Caribbean? That sounds tough to be a collector.

I've repurchased most of the Game Boy and SNES games from my youth, because of course I kept them all in good condition and traded them in for almost nothing to get PS1 games. Although of late I've bought some repro boxes for some of the expensive stuff, and a few repro carts like GBC Shantae. With Ebay there seems to be very little chance of getting a bargain, snipers make bidding pointless so it's often cheaper just to get a buy it now item.

ducktales4gameboy

ratatouille is people
kiwifarms.net
Saturn discussion: It's less disc rot and more the lasers are terrible in my experience. It may not be universal, but the three systems I've worked on became far more reliable after a ($25) laser replacement or pot tweak. The pot tweak is a 5-minute fix and only requires a screwdriver. worth trying as long as you be sure to be careful documenting where your laser pot started, only turning it a millimeter at a time and not pushing your luck going past 2 or 3mm (just replace at that point).

It's weird how the MegaDrive/Genesis was widely compatible with everything from Atari's to Plug and Play TV games. It's like the Swiss army knife of controllers/power cables.
Fun fact : Most of the classic-era cart copiers use that same adapter too. I had one of these hooked up in tandem with my genesis for most of the early 00s with only one power cable between them.

Dark Edea

kiwifarms.net
All the N64 games on Rare Replay are either glorified roms or the Xbox 360 remasters

And it’s confusing that they didn’t include Conker L&R, considering they included Grabbed by the Ghoulies. I guess they didn’t wanna bother taking out Conker’s online stuff. It’s even one of those few original games that works on Xbox One
Microsoft's best games are just old Nintendo games.

Change my mind.

ducktales4gameboy

ratatouille is people
kiwifarms.net
That scene still sticks out in my mind as peak Rareware. It's so very un-PC by Nintendo standards yet so innocent comparative to stuff in modern games.

I had thought the $100 offers on the EWJ box were insane, but this morning someone pointed me to this abomination. This is far beyond 'collecting' and well into fetishism.

whatever I feel like

kiwifarms.net
That counts as a variant right? Isn't that what "the collector's market" is all about.
I don't think NFRS games came in actual boxes, but could be wrong. If not, it would be a display piece (empty box stores put on their shelves to show that they had the game in stock.)

Regardless, at that value he's actually probably shopping for offers instead of actually expecting someone to pay for it.

And yes, NFRS games can go for hundreds, despite being worse to play than regular version. Most top off well below that though.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
What also goes for a ton of money are Store Displays especially ones that were in Kaybee or ToysRus.

Getting the themed video game banners and marquees that were originally in stores will run you more than an arcade machines usually.

Demo Stations and Plastic Displays characters are also ungodly expensive. I mean at that point it's like how much does your nostalgia want to go.

The Sonic Mania statue was modeled after an original display piece for Sonic that sega had in a few stores when the Genesis was current, that was the only time I went out of my way to get a video game statue that came with a special edition.

But it's like I'd rather spend money on the actual games themselves instead of just merch and advertising shit. Then again my 8 and 16 bit collection is rather large I've got 77 NES games, 130 something SNES games and 90 genesis games. I haven't gotten anything in awhile for them though I think I'm kinda sort done with that era unless I dive deep into more rare Super Famicon stuff.

Amazon was selling that Super Mario game and watch for 35 bucks a few weeks ago since their warehouse deals had a few, That was probably my most recent retro purchase.

ducktales4gameboy

ratatouille is people
kiwifarms.net
The real holy grail of NFR hardware is the Game Boy store display shaped like a gigantic gameboy that's basically repurposed dev hardware which mirrors the display on a TV. That was a TrU/Kaybee exclusive too, iirc. At least with those you're actually getting something unique that's not easily bootleggable.

post-24390-125149372667_thumb.jpgs-l1000.jpg

I don't think NFRS games came in actual boxes, but could be wrong. If not, it would be a display piece (empty box stores put on their shelves to show that they had the game in stock.)
It's a tossup depending on the varying definitions of 'NFR' covering both games that were part of bundles and things shipped directly to retailers for demos. Bundled games generally have NFR boxes (famously Sonic 1) but ones like that DKC2 box that were solely for shelf display are significantly rarer.

Last edited:

whatever I feel like

kiwifarms.net
The real holy grail of NFR hardware is the Game Boy store display shaped like a gigantic gameboy that's basically repurposed dev hardware which mirrors the display on a TV. That was a TrU/Kaybee exclusive too, iirc. At least with those you're actually getting something unique that's not easily bootleggable.

It's a tossup depending on the varying definitions of 'NFR' covering both games that were part of bundles and things shipped directly to retailers for demos. Bundled games generally have NFR boxes (famously Sonic 1) but ones like that DKC2 box that were solely for shelf display are significantly rarer.
Right, I cleared my head after making the post. Nintendo never put NFRS stuff on their pack in-titles, that was a Sega thing, like with Sonic 1 and 2. The box was a shelf display and is definitely NOT worth over 50 dollars, let alone $999. Thats just someone on ebay fishing for an offer. I can understand someone wanting a box like that, especially if they were specifically a Donkey Kong fan, but its not something I would go for unless I could get it at an overly cheap price.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Amazon was selling that Super Mario game and watch for 35 bucks a few weeks ago since their warehouse deals had a few, That was probably my most recent retro purchase.

Very nice. I'd like to get one of those on at least somewhat of a discount before they're gone

Cool Dog

A goodboi denied his Wendy's
kiwifarms.net
You know most game prices arent that expensive when you consider inflation and how a $60 genesis game should be at least twice today

Suddenly the payoff isnt as big unless you got it used for like $1 20 years ago or so when the 16bit gen was dead and 32bit on its last legs, that when prices really dropped

Also between flashcards and ODEs I feel like having the games isnt as important as having the OG hardware anymore, since with those you can play all the games you always wanted, even ones that were never released, and it feels just the same because its all software, you get the same experience unlike reading scanned comicbooks on a tablet

And as FPGA gets better soon you wont even need the hardware, MISTer is already a great investment and they are working on a PSX core for it
Might want to correct that remark about Dreamcast cases. I own a small Dreamcast collection and from what I can tell they're identical to regular CD jewel cases. I think you meant the Sega CD, Sega Saturn and early PS1 cases which were basically giant jewel cases. I have a few Sega Saturn games in them, and they're as miserable and fragile as you can imagine.

View attachment 1818511

Decided to add a picture of an empty one to give everyone a better idea:
View attachment 1818526
I've never dropped any of mine but I imagine they would instantly explode into a million shards if I ever did.
They will, none of my Saturn cases have survived intact, they are superglued but everything else (discs, manuals, catalogs) is pristine
We’re currently in peak GameCube nostalgia, so I’m kinda scared to see how high the prices of games like Skyward Sword or Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn will go in about 5 years.
Shit I might as well sell my gaycube, still kick myself for buying it at launch, how much can I get for a launch model in box? also got zelda WW
Nintendo collection and the scene around it has always fascinated me. Good thread.

So here's the weird thing. There may not be many like me. I was the kid that listened to his parents when they told me to take care of my baseball cards. And when I was a teenager around the time Nintendo started saving the fucking games industry, I was buying their hardware/software with my allowance and keeping it in decent condition. We're talking boxes, some shrinkwraps (but if you're going to buy an item, why not use it?), and otherwise no smoking and good condition all around.

As I've gotten older, gotten decent jobs, and had some time to spare on weekends when not dealing with real life (so scary), I've contributed to disparate wikis and forums and topics like this. There's a lot of "rare" games out there; but maybe not so many that you need to dedicate your adolescent fortune to buying them when you could be doing better things. Which brings me to a question of the "collectibility" of modern games and even stuff from ten or fifteen years ago.

Did the digital market really change things so much as to destroy the "retro collectible" market? I know stuff like OG Panzer Dragoon are pretty desirable; but what makes that so different from a gold Punch-Out cart other than sheer age? How is a lot of this value determined? I know in my collectible endeavors I have a very hard and fast line around the early 90s; basically after the SNES fell from "in vogue" status and became undesirable. And despite the N64 still being cartridge-based, those games are not nearly as collectible as earlier games or even some later, limited productions.

Especially in the last... maybe five to eight years, the market has changed substantially. I see "valuable" games on the marketplace that don't really seem collectible in the same way as many of my original games or convention-finds have been. Something about being able to go to eBay and just buy stuff has taken the fun/value/whatever out of the entire process. It's very transactional and much much less personal.

For example: I had to fight to find a new stand for my Virtual Boy console. That system exhibits a design flaw in which the tripod stand can crack at its weakest point (the plastic union between the legs); and many of the sellers at conventions knew this. Nowadays I am unsure if the fight to find what you want is the same. But then what is the real fight? Is it the process of going out of your home, traveling and finding a seller? Or is it as simple as clicking "buy now" and getting what you desire without haggling or any skin in the game, so to speak?

I am convinced that collecting in terms of video games (and maybe a few others like card games and figurines) has changed significantly in the last decade and not for the better. And I question the commitment some of these buyers have to the hobby they claim to love. Where there used to be an ownership of the product (consoooooom) and a desire to preserve the artifact, there is now increased competition (not that it didn't exist before) and a simple display of wealth that diminishes the whole thing.

This is very autistic. Please rate me on merits other than autism; I already have a doctor's note. :lit:

Sidenote on this: this is a thriving market for Famicom fakes and multicarts. I am sure this is the same for other older systems. Multicarts are fucking rad and unique.
You were a teen when the Nes launched? holy shit, you got to live the golden era
We're already starting to see that happen with the retro computer market to some extent, its not hard to believe that consoles may go the same way
The retro computer scene is dying? weird, I'm seeing far more activity than ever before, specially on youtube
Caribbean? That sounds tough to be a collector.
Try being in Argentina with a 70% tax on imports and everything locally being expensive af because this shit was always expensive here so literally any original game is "RARE" because there were bootlegs everywhere

Last edited:

Duncan Hills Coffee

Whaddya mean booze ain't food?!
kiwifarms.net
Some games have gotten really fucking pricey lately and it's pissing me off.

I've been eyeing the original Resident Evil 3 for quite some time, and now for whatever reason it's costing upwards of $70 to $100 for a copy on eBay. Now I don't know how well it sold, but it was released when Resident Evil was at its prime popularity so it can't be that rare. RE1 and 2 are still in the $20-40 range, so what the hell's up with 3?

That's not even the worst though. A physical copy of Silent Hill 1 is going for anywhere from $100-200. Fucking why? The game can't have possibly sold badly enough to warrant those prices. It sold enough to get a Greatest Hits release so again, the game's not exactly rare. I'm glad I got physical releases of 2 and 3 when I did because those are skyrocketing too.

I'm certain a lot of this is due to pandemic shenanigans, but it's getting insane.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Some games have gotten really fucking pricey lately and it's pissing me off.

I've been eyeing the original Resident Evil 3 for quite some time, and now for whatever reason it's costing upwards of $70 to $100 for a copy on eBay. Now I don't know how well it sold, but it was released when Resident Evil was at its prime popularity so it can't be that rare. RE1 and 2 are still in the $20-40 range, so what the hell's up with 3?

That's not even the worst though. A physical copy of Silent Hill 1 is going for anywhere from $100-200. Fucking why? The game can't have possibly sold badly enough to warrant those prices. It sold enough to get a Greatest Hits release so again, the game's not exactly rare. I'm glad I got physical releases of 2 and 3 when I did because those are skyrocketing too.

I'm certain a lot of this is due to pandemic shenanigans, but it's getting insane.
Yeah it has, everything is getting scalped. I don't even bother going to Goodwill stores anymore because there are no deals to be had. PS3 and Vita prices for stuff are still crazy despite them renegging on closing the store.

To save money on retro game purchases, you can buy a copy without a box and print out the cover yourself.

Paperwork is the most expensive part of retrogaming, yet it's the easiest duplicated.

L50LasPak

We have all the time in the world.
kiwifarms.net
The retro computer scene is dying? weird, I'm seeing far more activity than ever before, specially on youtube
There's a lot of GenXers in the retro computer scene, which is telling because it was really the previous generation that worked with these machines the most. I think once they die off the retro computer scene will be effectively dead.

The Resident Evil 3 remake came out a little while ago, people are probably trying to capitalize on it being on everyone's mind.