Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
True & Honest Fan
In the digital age, copyright laws are being debated like never before. There are several things to consider...
- Copyright protects the owners of intellectual property by preventing people from making money off their work or plagiarizing from them.
- It encourages creativity because it allows people to actually turn their creativity into a career.
- It encourages people to share their works and innovations. Before copyright laws, individuals were very secretive and sometimes chose not to share their work for fear of their ideas being stolen. Now, they are protected.
- Copyright stifles creativity and innovation by making people afraid to make new things lest they’re deemed copyright infringement.
- Derivative works define human culture. All works can be deemed derivative in some fashion because there are only so many stories that can be told.
- Copyright can be used as an instrument of censorship.
- Abuse of the DMCA system is rampant, with Google itself reporting that 57% of the takedown notices it has received under the DMCA were sent by business targeting competitors, and 37% of notices were not valid copyright claims.
- Do the laws actually benefit creators? Or do they benefit companies?