The Decline of the Weeb-Wars Board - A cautionary tale of why you shouldn't get too invested in cows

ConSluttant

Because everyone needs advice. Even Thots.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I appreciate the weeb wars stuff because it expands upon my favorite type of cow - the law sperg cow. And right now Ron Toye and lawtwatter are filling me to the brim.

But seeing as how I have prior experience in law sperging I knew the pitfalls of the lawsuit. So I didn't get caught in the TCPA shït storm. I didn't anticipate how utterly autistic it was going to be though. But no amount of prep helps when you are emotionally invested in something. This case was easy to get wrapped up in because of the whole back story.

The board itself will be good for another year if the appeals go through. Two months tops of it doesn't. My money is going to be on the extended version. But I would love the sperging to be more contained and go back to observing and snarking on the cows. That's just the cherry on top of the lawsuit sundae.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd be surprised if the Court of Appeals makes a decision that really changes anything, but we'll see.

I still predict it's going to end like Gamergate and all these other dramas which is to say there is no ending, there is no resolution of any sort, neither side walks away happy, the only result is a fandom becomes less fun since there's now a division within it and unresolved tension.

It's the same deal with gaming culture now, all Gamergate really did was make being a gamer less fun than it used to be, now it's happened to anime fandom in the US and that's really fucking sad, but it's happened to every single nerdy interest and hobby, it was literally only a matter of time until it happened for anime.

The one benefit is because anime isn't made within the US the impact on the medium itself will probably be minimal, unlike video games, but the fandom itself will never be the same, a certain innocence was forever lost, the vibe of the fandom will forever have that shadow of that tension hanging over it, again, just like video games.
Sadly, you are correct.
Can't put the genie back in the bottle now.

That said, I'll only shed tears of laughter if FurryGate becomes a thing.

Maurice Caine

A New Note in Music
kiwifarms.net
I expected this board to be something about all of the r/anime faggots and the cesspool that is MyAnimeList.

I'd be surprised if the Court of Appeals makes a decision that really changes anything, but we'll see.

I still predict it's going to end like Gamergate and all these other dramas which is to say there is no ending, there is no resolution of any sort, neither side walks away happy, the only result is a fandom becomes less fun since there's now a division within it and unresolved tension.

It's the same deal with gaming culture now, all Gamergate really did was make being a gamer less fun than it used to be, now it's happened to anime fandom in the US and that's really fucking sad, but it's happened to every single nerdy interest and hobby, it was literally only a matter of time until it happened for anime.

The one benefit is because anime isn't made within the US the impact on the medium itself will probably be minimal, unlike video games, but the fandom itself will never be the same, a certain innocence was forever lost, the vibe of the fandom will forever have that shadow of that tension hanging over it, again, just like video games.
Also, quoting your post: No self-respecting weeaboo has ever given a shit about Funimation and their dubs, lmao. You know it's bad when fucking fansubs are better than their official streams. I bet that at least more than half of the people in the current anime community don't even know what this drama is all about. This is just overblown.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I expected this board to be something about all of the r/anime faggots and the cesspool that is MyAnimeList.

Also, quoting your post: No self-respecting weeaboo has ever given a shit about Funimation and their dubs, lmao. You know it's bad when fucking fansubs are better than their official streams. I bet that at least more than half of the people in the current anime community don't even know what this drama is all about. This is just overblown.
Well Funimation has put out good work in the past but yeah, I was never married to them and I'm sure most fans weren't either.

Life will go on, anime will be fine, it's probably overblown but it is still drama where there once wasn't before and things will never be exactly the same as they were before the drama circa 2018 and below.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Maurice Caine

A New Note in Music
kiwifarms.net
Well Funimation has put out good work in the past but yeah, I was never married to them and I'm sure most fans weren't either.

Life will go on, anime will be fine, it's probably overblown but it is still drama where there once wasn't before and things will never be exactly the same as they were before the drama circa 2018 and below.
I dunno. imo the only good thing they put out was the haruhi dub and I'm not even sure if it was originally theirs.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
First of all, thank you @Superman93 for the thread. Because dear God were some things overdue.

I believe to understand where the current sentiment is coming from. Vic has been the victim of a major injustice and the fact that said injustice has been committed by the very people he considered his friends for 20+ years makes it even more heartbreaking. Yet people invested themselves to an unwarranted amount were they were starting to get mad on the internet at Funimation and its associated lolcows to the point of honest to God a-logging. I don't know the outcome of Vic's case. Justice, in my opinion, would be done if Vic not only wins, but Funimation is forced to eat a lot of shit while Monica, Jamie, Sabat, Schemmel, Ron, Marzgunt and others are sued into literal homelessness. If he'll win or lose, I don't know and to quote Sydney Youngblood: All we can do is sit and wait. What I do know with 100% certainty is that if Vic loses the appeals, I expect the entire Weeb Wars subforum to turn into the same endless pink fields /biz/ did during the Bitcoin meltdown.

What has to be in my opinion the most egregious event, was when Cody Baier on his penultimate appearance on Rekieta's stream tried to warn everyone from turning this whole thing into another GamerGate. While I do agree with Josh when he called him a, and I quote, "Soy Tornado", it does not invalidate any of his points about motherfuckers getting too emotionally invested, the grifters, the autism and general faggotry. Unfortunately people were too busy seething at him to take notes. If memory serves well, some poor bastards even sent Nick superberries just to insult Cody.

And speaking of Nick, as things stand now at the time of me writing this, I personally consider Nick to be one more drunken chimpout away from becoming Randbot 2.0; minus the Jew sperging. I hope I'll be proven wrong, but I'll refer to Sydney Youngblood's song again.

My apologies to this wall of assburgers, but I deemed it appropriate to say certain truths.

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I dunno. imo the only good thing they put out was the haruhi dub and I'm not even sure if it was originally theirs.
I don't think the Haruhi dub was originally theirs, I think it was Bandai.

But what about Fullmetal? That was a pretty great dub, hence why not everyone was willing to throw Vic under the bus due to dubious accusations, for a certain generation of anime fans Fullmetal is a real milestone.

Beyond that though I also enjoyed Funimation's dubs for Burst Angel, Panty & Stocking and Keijo.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Local Coyote

Hey man, got any cats?
kiwifarms.net
Weeb Wars was what got me to make an account on KF and was my main focus for a while. Lost interest after a while since it got hard to keep up with and I got some KiA vibes of trying to fight a battle against feminists in some dumbass culture war self righteousness instead of laughing at re.tards which is what it should've stayed as. People got too emotionally invested and thought that this would be the final boss fight of MeToo in nerd spaces.

The fun stops the moment you take yourself too seriously. The nail in the coffin was people encouraging JosephTX to keep being a paranoid weirdo not realizing they're going in too deep.

KF is here imo to laugh at idiots, not reeee about the "culture war" in Tibetan cartoons.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
(...) and thought that this would be the final boss fight of MeToo in nerd spaces.
I think the ship of pushing back against #MeToo has sailed in the aftermath of the Kavanaugh drama. If there were no legal actions against the women who falsely accused him, I doubt that a spedfight in the anime dubbing scene will put an end to that mass hysteria.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I was there as the story started gaining traction in the JesuOtaku thread as well as that initial thread where it was announced that Vic was fired. I stopped paying attention when it got turned into its own board. It became way too much for me to follow once all these other weirdos started crashing the party. Then Vic got his case thrown out and I thought that was the end of it.

I'm both surprised and yet unsurprised all this autism was going on.

Crazedking

If only you knew how bad it really is.
kiwifarms.net
I stopped visiting there after the dismissal, but this was months ago. Why are you sperging about it now?
cuz the lawsuit finally hit a bit of a halt with appeal but theres still some really funny shit poping off.

LJmontello is probably my favorite thing to come out of weebwar. The infighting between her and the KV con industry is just so goddanm funny.
Shane was a doozy but hes been quiet (beside trying to support manjaw from the sideline) since his stillborn con shoudakon got aborted.

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I know some people irl who were genuinely upset about whatever the initial ruling against Vic Team was

I Love Beef

お前わもう。。。。。満でるー!!!!
kiwifarms.net
Not gonna lie, I was all in for this shit blowing up like a powder keg from not just Vic and Funimation and the Toyes, but to this eventually pulling down ANN and the West Coast Trust Fund Spoiled Anime Fan Basement Dwellers of America. It's already fucking with Rooster Teeth and RWBY, but all in all, until we hear the judgment of the appeals, it's just slow days from here on out. That or Weeb Wars goes Weeb Wars II if something fucking juicy comes of the anime fan convention community regarding the ass end of fans demanding Japan to make them feel entertained and satiated as consumers.

On second thought, you could always put this thread into Weeb Wars and have it revitalize the board. Funny how that can work.

Tags
None