The Duckduckgo Skeptic Thread -

Sans Fish Man

kiwifarms.net
I think duckduckgo has been compromised somewhat since its one of if not the most popular privacy based browser so the gov has incentive to wiretap.

Also something else to note is sometimes when i put an obscure youtube video on my phone while using fdroid's duckduckgo apk after seeing it on my TV it has the full title in recommended search results.

Post your duckduckgo skepticism also.

Forgetful Gynn

Reason is the first victim of strong emotion
kiwifarms.net
(((Weinberg's))) previous company was more or less a dox repository.
Like other social networks such as Hi5, Names Database has been criticized for being too aggressive at encouraging registrants to refer friends. Upon registration the site immediately asks you to refer friends and then checks the validity of any address you enter, attempting to disallow fraudulent information. However, free access to searching the database is granted in the email confirmation without referring any friends, thus skipping that step. Also, all outgoing emails appear to follow the rules stipulated in the CAN-SPAM Act of 2003 including proper opt-out links, listed physical addresses and information about how the original email address was collected.
Excerpt from 'The Names Database' Terms of Use:
'You grant Opobox a non-exclusive, worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, transferable, royalty-free right to (a) use, copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, modify, translate and reformat Your Information in any media now known or not currently known, and (b) sublicense these rights, to the maximum extent permitted by applicable law. Opobox does not control the content posted via the Opobox Web Sites, and as such, does not guarantee the accuracy, integrity, timeliness, reliability, or quality of such Content. You understand that by using the Opobox Web Sites, you may be exposed to Content that is offensive, indecent, or objectionable. Under no circumstances will Opobox or any Opobox Party be liable in any way for any Content, including, but not limited to, for any errors or omissions in any Content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any Content posted, e-mailed, transmitted, or otherwise made available via the Opobox Web Sites.

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Startpage.com doesn't seem to be private either, I had the same sort of thing go on with seeing ads for stuff I searched for on there. Despite their claim of being a private proxy.

Consenticles

sit nomine digna
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Don’t forget Yandex and Yippi
Yandex is hit or miss if you do not know Russian. Might give a few non english sites on the first page, depending on your query. But I do like it over DDG for my riskier searches.

At this point I assume any browser is compromised, and if I really wanted to assume anonymity, I would be doing far more than just changing my search engine.

Forgetful Gynn

Reason is the first victim of strong emotion
kiwifarms.net
Yandex is hit or miss if you do not know Russian. Might give a few non english sites on the first page, depending on your query. But I do like it over DDG for my riskier searches.

At this point I assume any browser is compromised, and if I really wanted to assume anonymity, I would be doing far more than just changing my search engine.
To be truly safe you'd have to use a very old OS running on a very old processor.

UnimportantFarmer

kiwifarms.net
Duckgogo is also heavily US focussed. It might be aimed at Americans, but at those who don't even think about overseas? A proxy and Google maybe? Google anyhow seems far better in finding practical stuff. It might be worthless politically, but aren't they all to some degree?

• Agree
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene
Tags
None