The Duckduckgo Skeptic Thread -

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Its two people, a man and a woman.
They know because they get mail for materials and regular requests for interviews concerning the website.
Its the heaven's gate website. Journalists write them for interviews about once a year, on the anniversary.
wasn't there some connection between the Heaven's Gate website guy and Church of the Subgenius?

• Disagree
Reactions: TalmudSperg

TalmudSperg

New Zealander & Agriculturalist
kiwifarms.net
wasn't there some connection between the Heaven's Gate website guy and Church of the Subgenius?
There were 4 different men that ran the website. Jstody at first...Rkkody after the "exit" Crlody after his exit and mrcody now (along with a woman Srfody)

I don't think there is any connection except for the newsgroup postings in 1995. They were posted to every "alternate faith" ufo mystery, bible study and science fiction newsgroup around. (Church of Subgenius included)

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
Duckgogo is also heavily US focussed. It might be aimed at Americans, but at those who don't even think about overseas? A proxy and Google maybe? Google anyhow seems far better in finding practical stuff. It might be worthless politically, but aren't they all to some degree?
Bing is still decent given how pozzed other mainstream search engines are.

• Agree
Reactions: Smaug's Smokey Hole

AsbestosFlaygon

It's never over when I'm here
kiwifarms.net
Not related to search engines, but I have similar thoughts towards operating systems in regards to track as with search engines. I hear people talk about how they choose to use operating system due to privacy, like nigga, what? That's the dumbest reason to be using a OS imo. If you're connect to the internet you're being track in someway, doesn't matter which OS you use. Conversely if you aren't on the internet it doesn't matter what spyware shit a OS has, it's pretty damn useless without a connection. Use a fucking OS based on shit that matters like the interface, software, or pricing, but don't be some hipster that thinks he's so uber smart and protective of his privacy, unless you're not on the internet it means fucking nothing.

Vecr

"nanoposts with 90° spatial rotational symmetries"
kiwifarms.net
Not related to search engines, but I have similar thoughts towards operating systems in regards to track as with search engines. I hear people talk about how they choose to use operating system due to privacy, like nigga, what? That's the dumbest reason to be using a OS imo. If you're connect to the internet you're being track in someway, doesn't matter which OS you use. Conversely if you aren't on the internet it doesn't matter what spyware shit a OS has, it's pretty damn useless without a connection. Use a fucking OS based on shit that matters like the interface, software, or pricing, but don't be some hipster that thinks he's so uber smart and protective of his privacy, unless you're not on the internet it means fucking nothing.
I don't think that's the point, if you have control over what you use, you can choose what level of privacy you can tolerate while still doing what you need to do.

Bins

kiwifarms.net
Bing used to have a decent rewards system that you could get a $10 amazon or other major gift cards somewhat regularly (maybe once a month? I forget) for just opening a bookmark folder containing a bunch of bing search results until you hit the daily cap. Then they changed it to make it longer to get and I think they cut it to $5 or something. I still prefer bing's homepage over Google and Duckduckgo but that's all it really has going for it at this point I feel.

Coffee Shits

Hardcore
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Bing is still decent given how pozzed other mainstream search engines are.
Bing's results are usually pretty good but they started shilling the Edge browser on-site. Fine, but don't cover the damn pagination with it. Makes me want to switch, again.

Lawdy Bing might not manipulate as much as Google, but hoping for much from Bill Gates' company might be too much. Likely any lack of pozzed manipulation is more an oversight which will soon be fixed, from their perspective.
Luckily Microsoft is uncoordinated and slow, so we might have a good year of middle managers meeting to decide what color the favicon should be before they move on to the pressing issues.

JonesMcCannister

Who was dragged down by the stone
kiwifarms.net
The problem I have with DuckDuckGo, which I use in lieu of Google, is the results are usually terrible unless you're search is one or two keywords. With Google you can search long string and get coherent results. "what is the amount of states in the usa" searched on google puts a div saying 50 states and all of the results are about the amount of states, duckduckgo gives random shit involving the us debt, coronovirus, etc. If instead you search for "us states" in duckduckgo you get coherent results, I believe it's something with Google's technooology to parse search string for the keywords that would actually matter in the search and disregard the rest or use the rest to build context to the other words.

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
Bing used to have a decent rewards system that you could get a $10 amazon or other major gift cards somewhat regularly (maybe once a month? I forget) for just opening a bookmark folder containing a bunch of bing search results until you hit the daily cap.
I remember using the original version of this script a few years ago. Unsure if it still works properly:

Might be worth looking into.

Tags
None