The Dumbest Plans In Fiction - Be them in a movie, TV show, anime, cartoon, story, web series, book, comic, play, or video game, what are some of the dumbest plans you've ever seen? (Obvious Spoilers)

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
Any plan involving time travel in Dragonball Z. Mostly because it results in alternate timelines with the characters in the original timelines dying. Thus rendering everything said characters did moot and pointless. At least it's better than Time Travel in Dragonball Super, which fucked causality up the ass, making the horrific results of events occur before the events themselves, which were then caused by people reacting to the horrific results of events that occurred before said events.

Oh wait. I think I had this thread mixed up with the "Dumbest PLOTS in fiction...."

Honka Honka Burning Love

I am the Clownvis..Honk Honk Ba Donk.
kiwifarms.net
Zaphod Beeblebrox's plan in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe book 2 makes no damn sense.

Mutilate your own brain in order to seal off the impulses to meet the "Man who actually runs the universe." in order to Run for President of the Galaxy so that you can steal an experimental ship that will allow you to meet "The Man who runs the universe" and doing it so in a way that you kill off aspects of your personality and make yourself into a person who will not only not want to "meet the man who actually runs the universe." but will actively tell the people who helped you plan it to fuck off.

Zaryiu

kiwifarms.net
Avengers: Endgame

The plan to get the Stones makes zero sense. Here's why:
1. They have just enough Pimm particles for a 2-way trip for each of them. Then, much later, they just steal a whole bunch of them from the past. Why not do that at the start of the movie?
You don't even need to steal them, just send Lang back to a time between Ant-Man 1 & 2, when Pimm knows and trusts Lang, have him explain what happens and get Pimm to give the particles away willingly.
2. Disregard 1 for a moment.
They need to have multiple Stones in the same place in order to make less trips.
During the Titan fight in Infinity War, there were 5 Stones there - 4 on the Gauntlet and Strange had the 5th.
Send Hulk there to punch Starlord in the face, take the Gauntlet from Thanos (because he's strong enough) and use the Power Stone to knock him out in 1 hit.
Or use the Mind Stone to put Thanos in a permanent coma.
Or just keep punching him until his face is minced meat.
Now you have 5 Stones and the 6th one is being extracted from Vision in Wakanda so now, you have all of them.

That's just something I came up with right now but Stark and Banner - 2 smartest dudes on the planet, couldn't figure it out.
they had to make everyone stupid in order for the movie to happen.
That movie was so fucking bad.
Well they couldn't at the start because they don't know they can use time travel because Scott hasn't returned with knowledge the place he was stuck in has time that works d
Fallout 3: Stop the Enclave from fixing the water purifier so you can fix the water purifier. In case you can't stop the Enclave, sabotage the purifier in such a way that it kills anyone who tries to fix it.
Thanks, dad.
So was Autumn (I think it's his name) in on his leader plan to use the device to kill every everyone that is irradiated or not? Because if so that would make sense the PC would want to stop them

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
So was Autumn (I think it's his name) in on his leader plan to use the device to kill every everyone that is irradiated or not? Because if so that would make sense the PC would want to stop them
No, Autumn refused to sabotage the water supply - that's why Eden needed you to do it.

Stab You in the Back

kiwifarms.net
Lost - Jack, who is clearly suffering from some kind of mental breakdown, proposes to the other survivors that they should detonate a nuclear bomb on the island to recreate "The Incident" in the belief that doing so will send them from the 1970s to the Present. Everybody except Sawyer goes along with this plan because they're all morons.

Zaryiu

kiwifarms.net
No, Autumn refused to sabotage the water supply - that's why Eden needed you to do it.
Oh, well anyway the game was so badly made the nonsense started at LEAST when Autumn suddenly show uptown kidnap you somewhere he had no way to get to in the first place. In https://www.shamusyoung.com/twentysidedtale/?p=27085 this examination of how dumb Fallout isn't perfect and might have mistakes (I don't remember the game main plot or the Capital Wasteland since I have played in over a decade) but yeah: Bethesda didn't care and the whole game doesn't make sense

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't remember, did dad Neeson know about this? If not, then he probably assumed the Enclave was going to do something fucky with it. Considering the reputation of the Enclave, that makes sense.

I always hated that stupid 4chan screencap. There's a lot to criticize 3's plot over, but it makes perfect sense that your dad and his friends wouldn't want the fucking Enclave to control the water rights to DC.

byuu

Non-binary they/them
kiwifarms.net
but it makes perfect sense that your dad and his friends wouldn't want the fucking Enclave to control the water rights to DC.
The purifier cleans the whole basin. It wouldn't be in control of the Enclave.
The evil plan of Autumn is to clean all the water for good PR.

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The purifier cleans the whole basin. It wouldn't be in control of the Enclave.
The evil plan of Autumn is to clean all the water for good PR.
Once again, did your dad know that at the time? It's been ages since I've played and I can't remember. Either way, even if the Enclave claims they're going to do something, it would make sense in-universe to not trust them. Nothing they had done in DC warranted trust at that point.

ZehnBoat

the ultimate crunch
kiwifarms.net
When roark dynamites his own building as a protest in The Fountainhead.

Fuck Ayn Rand in general.
maybe i haven't consumed enough rand but it always felt like her characters were like
"i wanna do what i want, but everyone else can't"

now that i think of it, that's andrew ryan to a t in bioshock
i guess he as randian after all

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Jeb's 2016 Presidential Campaign.
Blasphemy!
That was one of the funniest political failures ever.

Please clap.

Signs - aliens allergic to water invade a planet made mostly of water, to abduct people made mostly of water
Also capable of interstellar travel, but easily thwarted by wooden doors.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
For a supposed genius, Walter White in Breaking Bad comes up with some seriously dumb schemes. Almost every attempt he made to kill someone with ricin was dumb, except when he finally got it right at the end, by the high tier brilliant idea of substituting it for stevia, something the intended target actually would use.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Face melted from French Vanilla Roast
kiwifarms.net
For a supposed genius, Walter White in Breaking Bad comes up with some seriously dumb schemes. Almost every attempt he made to kill someone with ricin was dumb, except when he finally got it right at the end, by the high tier brilliant idea of substituting it for stevia, something the intended target actually would use.
To be fair, the attempt with Tuco might've worked if Jesse hadn't fucked up and said that he cooked the "meth" with chili powder.

Robert James

Spooky months over time for turkey.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Beat me to it, but left out they did it naked.

Okay hear me out, Signs could totally work if the aliens were trying to save the people instead of kill them. If they were humanitarian it would make sense as to why they showed up on a planet that's main component was something they were allergic to, why the didn't have weapons, why they could so easily be pushed back, why they took people back to their ships, and why the kid had his azma cured after the alien sprayed him with the arm gas. Hell you could show that the aliens were studying the kid from afar, the first few scenes where they saw the aliens but they ran away, and they had developed a cure for his Asthma. That could of been the twist and not that they were allergic to water and you could of had a movie that made a great commentary on our paranoia as a people and how we ignore obvious signs to fit the narrative we want.

As for dumb plans, Edelgards plan from Fire Emblem: three houses was awful not only in it's execution but that she had a way better solution in plain sight. To sum up her plan she was experimented on to be given a super power and decided the solution was not that the people who placed so much value on the powers were wrong and needed to be punished but that she needs to kill off the stabalizing power in the continent, the church, and remove all super powers from the world. Mind you this is a world filled with demonic beast and the powers were given to the people to help fight off said beast. Not only does she ignore that people will still abuse and experiment on their children without sygils, it's actually pretty common in fire emblem games, but that she's the fucking emperess of one of the three kingdoms and could use her powers to stop people from doing it. Combine this with the fact that the king to be of one of the kingdoms loves her and wants revenge on the same people that experimented on her and the other leader to be want's a world were Sygils don't matter and wants to leave the continent. You realize if she fucking waited she could of had total control of the continent, gotten revenge, removed the clout given to those that had sygils, made a better world peacefully and maybe would of had a good life with a loving spouse.

But nooo she has to fuck with the church, force people to turn into demonic beast by forcing sygils on them and no she never realizes the Irony of this, force the continent to go to war killing thousands, break dimitri, force a dragon of light (efectivley a god) to turn into a rampaging beast through torturing it, and turn into a demonic beast because aparently part of the experimentation was a labotomy.

Cyril Sneer

Mando'ad Aardvark
kiwifarms.net
Be the United Nations Space Command.

Computer modeling suggests that conflict between Earth and human-colonized planets will lead to all-out war if you remain committed to your present course.

Decide to respond to this by delegating responsibility to the female reincarnation of Josef Mengele, who will kidnap hundreds of children to turn them into hulking, pre-adolescent cyborg death-squad killing machines.

Be retroactively justified by the completely out-of-left-field appearance of a genocidal alien empire.

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Empire in the star wars movies always dedicating so many resources to superweapons like the Death Star never made sense to me. If you've already conquered the galaxy with massive fleets and armies, why would you deviate from that? In both the new movies and the original trilogy the resistance operated on habitable planets on far-flung systems. Clearly this implies that the empire could have used even more fleets and armies to patrol places like this, but instead it wasted resources on basically pointless superweapons. Even if you accept the intended purpose behind these superweapons as being able to hold whole planets hostage, you could still do basically the same thing with "conventional" fleets and armies.

AnOminous

μολὼν λαβέ
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
The Empire in the star wars movies always dedicating so many resources to superweapons like the Death Star never made sense to me. If you've already conquered the galaxy with massive fleets and armies, why would you deviate from that? In both the new movies and the original trilogy the resistance operated on habitable planets on far-flung systems. Clearly this implies that the empire could have used even more fleets and armies to patrol places like this, but instead it wasted resources on basically pointless superweapons. Even if you accept the intended purpose behind these superweapons as being able to hold whole planets hostage, you could still do basically the same thing with "conventional" fleets and armies.

Maybe Darth Vader thought they were cool and they played into his autistic edgelord image.