The Dumbest Plans In Fiction - Be them in a movie, TV show, anime, cartoon, story, web series, book, comic, play, or video game, what are some of the dumbest plans you've ever seen? (Obvious Spoilers)

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

DerSneedstrom

Shocked Mormon of Color, pronouns are fuck/you
kiwifarms.net
also from Game of Thrones/Song of Fire and Ice

You know that wall that needs defended? Lets send our Crippled people and Rapists up there and nobody else for hundreds of years.

Think that's bad? Try the Battle of Winterfell.

"Let's put all of our troops and siege equipment outside of our castle walls before the battle. After that, despite being countlessly outnumbered, we will send our entire cavalry unit to a suicide charge in an effort to soften up an enemy that has no fear.

The cavalry unit was predictably slaughtered? Stand your ground and don't retreat until we are forced to sacrifice our elite troops to get people back into the castle. What are archers?

In the meantime, we will have about 15 men guarding a soothsayer in the open in the hopes that it will lure out the enemy general. During this time, despite being surrounded by scores of his own men, we will have one lone assassin try to sneak up on the man to kill him."

How the living fuck did that plan work? They should've been slaughtered.

Zaryiu

kiwifarms.net
The Empire in the star wars movies always dedicating so many resources to superweapons like the Death Star never made sense to me. If you've already conquered the galaxy with massive fleets and armies, why would you deviate from that? In both the new movies and the original trilogy the resistance operated on habitable planets on far-flung systems. Clearly this implies that the empire could have used even more fleets and armies to patrol places like this, but instead it wasted resources on basically pointless superweapons. Even if you accept the intended purpose behind these superweapons as being able to hold whole planets hostage, you could still do basically the same thing with "conventional" fleets and armies.
The first one was because Tarkin and he convinced the Emperor to execute a dumb plan, the second because the Emperor was an idiot by that point
Maybe Darth Vader thought they were cool and they played into his autistic edgelord image.
Vader didn't like the Death star, hell in one continuity he was glad it was blow up since he saw it as something dumb and maybe even an abomination
Yeah but capturing entails some level of Enforced caging, which is just going to make Rand mad.

That entire season was dumb.
The whole show after they ran out of material to adapt was dumb, season 8 just took it to 11. Oh and Danerys being willing to kill a shitload of People with her dragon? Doesn't seem as much out of left field to me because Daenarys was already an established multiple times mass murderer by that point, doesn't excuse what she did but i'm not surprised she went mad since her potentially doing that was foreshadowed

Last edited:

Dom Cruise

Spooky!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I didn't really mind the "Rescue Han" plot arc in Jedi. I thought it was a chance to see how much Luke had grown since the last movie. He seemed to come into his own confronting Jabba, escaping from his rancor pit, and rescuing his friends. And Luke HAD to fight an intermediate enemy before he fought Darth Vader again. We the audience had to see how far he had improved before we could believe him capable of facing the final bad guys.

Also, Indiana Jones and James Bond films were also movies had action-y beginnings that had nothing to do with the plot of the rest of their films, and I don't see anyone complaining about that. I think the reason Jedi gets pissed on is because it's the conclusion of a trilogy, and fans had high expectations for it. Lucas didn't do himself any favors retreading the Death Star battle and shoving warrior teddy bears into the plot, but it wrapped up the Luke/Vader arc quite nicely, and it ended on a hopeful note with freedom in the galaxy restored. Appreciate it for what it was: a blown up Republic Serial with some philosophical Heroes Journey themes thrown in.

The only thing that bothers me about Jedi is the Ewoks.

They never bothered me at first.... until I learned the original plan was to have it be the Wookie homeworld, which would have 1000 times cooler, but just wasn't feasible at the time.

So it's a shame, but the Ewoks are cute and they at least don't talk, so they don't ruin the movie or anything.

Other than that the movie is fucking awesome, I was completely dumbstruck when I first learned that some people thought Jedi was a bad movie.

Has nobody mentioned DKR's plane scene yet? It's not like there's a little subtle niggling plot hole in there... absolutely nothing that happens makes any sense or could possibly work.

That scene was such a spectacle in IMAX though, the only time a movie ever gave me a real feeling of vertigo.

Safir

目が覚めて落ちぶれろ
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
also from Game of Thrones/Song of Fire and Ice

You know that wall that needs defended? Lets send our Crippled people and Rapists up there and nobody else for hundreds of years.
This one is justified. The wall hasn't needed defending from something that'd be a threat to the other lords for hundreds of years. The only ones who believe it still does are the Starks, and they're still sending their best. When the first book starts, the Stark ruler's volcel younger brother serves there and tries to resettle the place with Stark normies.

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All of the Dark Knight Rises, really. "Hey, my name is Talia. I just revealed that I was the triggerman to Bruce, making him my most dangerous enemy, but the detonator didn't work. Let me leave Bruce alone with Bane instead of killing him immediately, that could never go wrong!"

Tor Lugosi

The Holy One of Israel
kiwifarms.net
I don't think any thought went into seasons 7 & 8 of Game of Thrones beyond "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All of the Dark Knight Rises, really. "Hey, my name is Talia. I just revealed that I was the triggerman to Bruce, making him my most dangerous enemy, but the detonator didn't work. Let me leave Bruce alone with Bane instead of killing him immediately, that could never go wrong!"

It's a movie I liked quite a bit at first but every time I re-watch it I find something to hate. It's better than Begins, or at least consistently better and there's some great moments but it has nothing on The Dark Knight.

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's a movie I liked quite a bit at first but every time I re-watch it I find something to hate. It's better than Begins, or at least consistently better and there's some great moments but it has nothing on The Dark Knight.
Huh, I've always thought Begins was better than Rises. That said, I still like Rises despite the plot holes. Some of the character moments are really good, and I like that Bruce Wayne gets a happy ending for once.

BrunoMattei

No I am not the Cinema Snob
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Huh, I've always thought Begins was better than Rises. That said, I still like Rises despite the plot holes. Some of the character moments are really good, and I like that Bruce Wayne gets a happy ending for once.

I love the first hour of Begins. It's very well paced. Logic is tight. Very tense. Character building is top notch. Had the movie ended when he becomes Batman and ties the one mobster to the spotlight it would have been perfect. But it keeps going and it completely falls apart after excluding the one scene where Scarecrow uses his fear toxin on the mobster.

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
The only thing that bothers me about Jedi is the Ewoks.

They never bothered me at first.... until I learned the original plan was to have it be the Wookie homeworld, which would have 1000 times cooler, but just wasn't feasible at the time.

So it's a shame, but the Ewoks are cute and they at least don't talk, so they don't ruin the movie or anything.

It was all down to money. People who haven't lived through that time have no idea how insanely popular teddy-bear/mascot toys were then. Teddy Ruxpin, Shirt Tales, Monchichi, all that shit. Lucas would have had to been made out of stone not to want to exploit this fad. Kids LOOOVED the Ewoks. They inspired a Saturday Morning Cartoon show and two made for TV movies, plus a very popular toy line. I think the Ewoks biggest critics are kids who loved them when the movie came out, then grew up and recognized them for the marketing ploy that they were. No one likes to feel exploited. Ewoks also remind middle-aged fanboys that Star Wars was originally a children's film. ("I am not wasting my life collecting these toys, DAD! Star Wars was a serious work of Science Fiction! The foundational creation myth of an entire generation of NERDS!*")

*Actual quote by MovieBob.

Honka Honka Burning Love

I am the Clownvis..Honk Honk Ba Donk.
kiwifarms.net
It was all down to money. People who haven't lived through that time have no idea how insanely popular teddy-bear/mascot toys were then. Teddy Ruxpin, Shirt Tales, Monchichi, all that shit. Lucas would have had to been made out of stone not to want to exploit this fad. Kids LOOOVED the Ewoks. They inspired a Saturday Morning Cartoon show and two made for TV movies, plus a very popular toy line. I think the Ewoks biggest critics are kids who loved them when the movie came out, then grew up and recognized them for the marketing ploy that they were. No one likes to feel exploited. Ewoks also remind middle-aged fanboys that Star Wars was originally a children's film. ("I am not wasting my life collecting these toys, DAD! Star Wars was a serious work of Science Fiction! The foundational creation myth of an entire generation of NERDS!*")

*Actual quote by MovieBob.
I think it was a good decision in retrospect though. With Chewie being a proper member of the resistance by the time of ROTJ, the empire setting up shop on the Wookies front door would cause some issues.

Notgoodwithusernames

My wife’s boyfriend is my son
kiwifarms.net
As soon as you get to the church in RE4 the plot collapses in on itself. Saddler's plan is to kidnap the presidents daughter Ashley and send her back to America infected with Las Plagas to infect everybody. Leon fights through a village to get into a church where she is being kept to get her out and then escape with a helicopter. So the plan is working flawlessly until for no reason at all Saddler pops out of the back of the Church and tells Leon his plan, and then actively tries to stop him and re-kidnap Ashley. I know its a video game, but there has to be a point when you're writing this scene and realize how dumb it is.
Also don’t forget how forget that aside from a few guys with miniguns and a single warship that looks really outdated the cult is really lacking in terms of firepower with most of them using either melee weapons, dynamite, or crossbows.