The effects of kids growing up online: Autism, incels, troons, and furries - This thread is an Ablism/ Transphobia /Fursecution-free, safe-space (◡‿◡✿)

Alberto Balsalm

No Xmas for John Quays
kiwifarms.net
I'm not saying that online exposure to the trans/furry/etc communities are causing the rise in autism.

I'm saying it's caused by young kids general exposure to the internet (or even broaden that to "interactive screen-time", internet, PC/console games, constantly playing with Mommy's Iphone etc. anything where kids are interacting with a screen, not an IRL person), through stuff like learning facial expressions more off screens than with a parent who'll respond and interact with them, or just the general trend of less time interacting face-to-face, more time popping bubbles on Mommy's Ipad.

It's only well after the autism has already set in that furry/trans etc communities come into it.

Kids interacting with screens not people is the cause, autism is the problem, and the furry/troon/incel stuff is a symptom.

prevalence-graph1.jpg
The problem here is that the rate of autism diagnosis began increasing far before it was common for people under the age of 3 to use electronic devices. Alarmist sentiment about the rise is the exact reason why antivaxxers became a thing in the 90s, after all.

A lot of the earlier research surrounding autism was in fact centered around whether the mother's parenting decisions made kids autistic, but there's still no solid proof of anything. From what we know right now, genetics and prenatal conditions are the most statistically predictable causes.

queerape

Gorilla gorilla goes Gorillaz
kiwifarms.net
I think it’s really too hard to tell anything about autism rates. The definition of autism changed with the 2013 DSM 5, any data before that would have used the DSM IV terms autism and Aspergers, but now it’s all ASD. So, rates may appear lower in the past but the definition was a lot more strict for autism, and the diagnosis of Aspergers no longer exists today. Thus since the definitions changed any data comparison of rates must at the very least be taken with a serious grain of salt.

Last edited:

booklover

kiwifarms.net
The Internet allowed specialized communities like furries and incels to find each other. Pre-Internet, we had things like the Society for Creative Anachronism, and that allowed people who were interested to be themselves in a relatively safe environment.

There do exist people for whom socialization is defined as "yet another way to meet more people who won't like me", or at least have nothing in common with them, and the Internet can help them find SOME kind of community.

ghostmice

faggot is my favorite word
kiwifarms.net
A big reason why theres more autism diagnoses is the increase of awareness 100% but another huge reason is that nowadays theres so much more happening that its easier for them to get overwhelmed and spaz out. Back when we all lived in quiet shacks most autists(the minor/mild ones) wouldn't flip their shit because its all calm. When you put those same people in a city though and theres noise and lights and lots of shit happening they tend to be more, autistic. The internet acts as a condensed version of this I think, since social media is created to increase engagement and they hyperfocus it makes sense that they latch onto being a furry, or being trans, or whatever the fuck.

Kaiser Wilhelm's Ghost

kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't necessarily say that autism is the main cause of the problem, though it certainly is probably one of the biggest contributing factors. Rather it is a wide variety of neurological ticks that is ascribed to Autism because it fits the bill in terms of a diagnosis.

As for the internet being a huge factor in the growth of these online communities and there proliferation, I'm inclined to agree, and add that I don't think they would have nearly the amount of numbers they hold today if they didn't have the ability to communicate with each other.

My reasoning is as followings, in a normal age before internet, a person who decidedly had tendencies towards being a furry, or one of the other movements, would go through a phase where they began to explore an interest in that particular idea, thoughts, fetish, or culture. Without any positive feedback loop from the society around them, they would either entrench themselves and become isolated within that community, or seek a level of normalcy which in turn would lessen or lose the attraction for that particular fascination, unless there existed a community of which they had access to that gave that behavior a positive feedback loop.

The internet with it's various hugboxes has become a giant positive feedback loop, where several small online social communities can share their interests and further indoctrinate people into that movement. If you see the almost cultish affection that people have for their particular online communities, then you can see the power that this social acceptance has on people. People at a basic psychological seek a level of acceptance from their peers, that is how and why communities are formed, however in the case with these degenerate communities, instead of forcing the person in question to either modify their behavior from social pressure and thereby adjust into a level of normalcy, or fall outside of it. With these online communities there is no need to adjust to the greater external social community, as long as those within the smaller collective community accept the individual.

The danger that then comes with belonging to one of these communities is that they do not just normalize behaviors outside of cultural norms, but they encourage further behaviors which in turn can be dangerous to the individuals involved.

I knew someone who was well adjusted, just a little bit odd. A mutual friend who was basically a sperg showed them self harming stuff online, and from that point on they started discussing self harming over forums and then participated in self harming, because they had been encouraged to do so by the community that they were now a part of.

After a while they refused to see the behavior as abnormal, and now I was the one who was the weirdo because I actually had concerns for the person in questions well being, and refused to listen to their excuses for cutting themselves. They wouldn't stop, and wouldn't seek psychiatric help for their "problems." Years later they're basically functioning as normal, because their parents took action out of concern, but the person now has to live with the multiple scars from self infliction, including some assholes name carved into themselves, because they admittedly went through "a phase" as a teenager.

booklover

kiwifarms.net
I also believe that there are people, especially disillusioned young people, who start using opiates because the media has made heroin addiction out to be something that is cool and fun, as long as you eventually give it up, and think it would be great to be a part of that.

I don't see how going to a "furry convention" would hurt anyone, as long as it remains a hobby.

One other thing. I can think of several people I grew up with in the 1970s who were probably on the autistic spectrum; they were considered slow, painfully shy, weird, etc. Two of them were from a local facility for "emotionally disturbed children" which nowadays is another name for Reactive Attachment Disorder (a devastating condition that is very common in foster children) but in this case, I really believe their primary disorder was autism.

Farmer John

kiwifarms.net
I've been thinking a lot lately on the idiom "it takes a village to raise a child" and the alternative saying "it takes a village to raise an idiot"
The Internet has given the entirety of the human race a chance to be a village, and it's a village where we cannot shun or cast out the troublesome members.
Also take into account the fact that youth often participate in counter culture and we have a perfect storm the degeneracy we are seeing.
In the 80's and 90's Homosexuality lost it's taboo.
In the 00's and 10's it was accepted.
And now we are seeing the next push, where it is not only accepted but flaunted.
This isn't the tightest timeline and I know there are exceptions, but it is a generalization.
Each step has been in contrast to the generation that came before, even if in the end it has played out in a pretty standard progression.
You add in the effect of the Internet allowing bad actors to praise poor decisions, and echo chambers for peers to give ass pats and here we are.
The Internet is and also isn't the problem, it is a key factor and certainly exacerbates the problem but even without it we would probably still have the problem.