The Elder Scrolls -

• There is a bug with the post editor. Images pasted from other websites from your clipboard will automatically use the [img] tag instead of uploading a copy as an attachment. Please manually save the image, upload it to the site, and then insert it as a thumbnail instead if you experience this.

The [img] should essentially never be used outside of chat. It does not save disk space on the server because we use an image proxy to protect your IP address and to ensure people do not rely on bad third party services like Imgur for image hosting. I hope to have a fix from XF soon. I REALLY WISH THEY'D HOTFIX THIS SO I CAN REMOVE THIS NOTICE.

Super Hans

kiwifarms.net
A (mostly*) faithful remaster would be cool assuming you could keep all the features that existed in the original game and not strip them out like the newer games did. I don't even know if you could (easily) recreate a lot of those skills and spell/potion creation in the newer versions of the Bethesda engine.

What would be the problem with remaking Morrowind in Gamebryo+? Granted, I'm basically an exceptional individual, but it mostly seems to be implementing a higher level of granularity than post-Morrowind games had, not having to make a system that would have to do that from the ground up. It still exists through having skill leveling, and that leveling still having a noticeable output, whether it's damage, damage mitigation, or craft-ables quality.

What is the problem though is that Bethesda's scared of letting players fail or get locked out of content. Yeah, the first few hours of Morrowind sucked playing. You're slow as a molasses covered fatass, you fail more often than not at casting the basic healing spell, and even a pair of rats can kill you. And then a few hours later you find out you fucked yourself out of a whole guild's questline because you did a few quests for the Fighter's Guild first. But the shit start makes you appreciate how powerful you are later on, and no story or meta-story can be good without consequences for anything.

frozenrunner

And you thought 2020 was a lousy year!
kiwifarms.net
What would be the problem with remaking Morrowind in Gamebryo+? Granted, I'm basically an exceptional individual, but it mostly seems to be implementing a higher level of granularity than post-Morrowind games had, not having to make a system that would have to do that from the ground up. It still exists through having skill leveling, and that leveling still having a noticeable output, whether it's damage, damage mitigation, or craft-ables quality.
Mostly I'm thinking of how lazy Bethesda has proven themselves to be with their iterative game design over time. Because of that I just don't think they would ever bother doing real proper engine update remasters or remakes.

I remember the people behind MorrOblivion, years ago, had to compromise a lot of the design elements from Morrowind when they ported it into the Oblivion engine. Remaking the removed weapon types was one thing (I think they were successful at that?), but they just gave up on spells like Mark and Recall and Levitation. And that dramatically changed the way you played the game, even if the fast travel system from Oblivion is "better."

Bethesda themselves could obviously program whatever they wanted in a remake/remaster, but I don't get the feeling they would. None of their games get more complex over time. Look at Skyrim. Why does it have a perk system? Because Fallout 3 and New Vegas did, and they didn't want to create a new gameplay system, just iterate on previous designs. Is that appropriate? I mean, it works, but I would argue it isn't. It's lazy.

Sometimes I get the feeling Bethesda as a developer is made up of a bunch of (very talented) game designers and writers who create great stuff with toolkits they don't fully understand. I know that isn't accurate, but it seems that way. I doubt their ability to re-add design complexity back into their games because it would be more effort than they are used to. And Morrowind is structurally different than the later games.

scathefire

Types like an incel
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

Halloweeney did nothing wrong.
kiwifarms.net
Is the Daggerfall Unity Remake any good? Did they fix all the horrible, horrible bugs while still retaining fun stuff like climbing?

HeyYou

YOU BETTER RUN!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is the Daggerfall Unity Remake any good? Did they fix all the horrible, horrible bugs while still retaining fun stuff like climbing?
Yes and yes. It has every part of Daggerfall currently implemented, and the only remaining bugs are exclusive to the Unity version and nowhere near as bad as the original Daggerfall.

Friendly Primarina

WooOOOoOo....
kiwifarms.net
It feels like someone asks about Daggerfall Unity every week. Is it that hard to search the thread for "Daggerfall Unity" before posting?

James Roancrest

kiwifarms.net
I am rebuilding my modded Skyrim using The Phoenix Flavour as my baseline (though I have changed most of the visuals).
Skyrim_Remastered_-_Winterhold.png

True_Nordic_Farmhouses__Skyrim_2020_Thatched_Roofs.png

Atmosphere.png

ALTM__EL_Grass.png

ALTM__EL_Grass2.png
ALTM__EL_Grass3.png

The_Rift.png

Sky_Haven_Temple.png

MRF_Markarth.png

We_Gatorade_Now.png

Attachments

• We_Gatorade_Now.png
    We_Gatorade_Now.png
    7 MB · Views: 70

StyrofoamFridge

The Octoroon Child of Brittany Venti & Null
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
After playing Oblivion in childhood, Skyrim in adolescence, and recently finishing Morrowind as an adult, Morrowind comes on top for me. It feels like Vvardenfel is a nation of city-states on it's own, even excluding the mainland. There is no radiant AI, but it feels populated. The people can vary in culture and sometimes be a bit dark or inappropriate. The magic system has a plethora of different spells.

Oblivion and Skyrim were both watered down for consoles, as well as laziness. My biggest gripe with Skyrim is that it feels unfinished; the magic system is jank, the NPCs hardly say anything interesting, I can't kill Delphine, the civil war is bland, there aren't enough beastfolk, only human children, only 3 friendly dragons, the Reachmen are retconned to all be evil, Thalmor have no personality, Falmer are just lame goblins, Dwemer ruins are a bore, and the outfits are atrocious.

CryptoHermit

kiwifarms.net
hhhm how casual, I turn maps off View attachment 2623519
VHG Divayth Fyr got to CHIM in that every night, it's not fair. :'(:'(:'(

P.S I'm very excited for the new expansions to Tamriel Rebuilt with the addition of the mainland Hlaalu, Redoran and Dres territories, plus Home Of The Nords and Province Cyrodil are getting updates soon : D House Dres is looking to be fucking awesome

Attachments

• city_by_feivelyn-dcltfo8.jpg
    city_by_feivelyn-dcltfo8.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 22
  • ZfSkzM2.jpg
    ZfSkzM2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 22

ProblematicUser420

Tits and Abs
kiwifarms.net
I know someone will get mad, but I can't find a working download link to Daggerfallsetup.

Does using the free version of Daggerfall from Bethesda work just as well for Unity?

Lizard Pope

Yer tax dollars at werk.
kiwifarms.net
HOW HAVE I NEVER KNOWN ABOUT CUSTOM MAP MARKERS AFTER PLAYING THIS GAME FOR HALF A DECADE?!? I WOULD HAVE SAVED SO MUCH TIME : ( : ( : (
ab3b8b6c90c6c8461dc238f130eed6f9c7ca8c83c045cbc7c2796f585163eeba.png
Three Kalpic Cycles later and I'm still learning about this game...
Seriously though, where has this been all my life? I feel like a fucking exceptional individual. Dammit.