The End of Tik Tok? What comes next? - India bans, Trump looking to as well.

-4ZURE-

Kill Every Last One of Them!
kiwifarms.net
Apparently, two days ago, articles were popping up over Trump looking to remove the site from American access. The story goes that Tik Tok, run by a Chinese company called ByteDance, is using the app to collect data that will go to the communist party of China.

India has already banned the service as of June 29th due to clashes with China.

I am surprised no one is talking about what could potentially be the downfall of a titan on here yet. The disputes between countries and China could mark the end to the platform as a whole. While I am sure many of us, including myself, are tired of the cringe factory, one most question the ramifications of such a thing.

I sort of fear another flooding of YouTube as those who made their living on the Chinese spyware move over to YouTube like their Vine brothers and sisters of yesteryear. The platform did wonders in harboring normies so that they do not ruin the rest of the internet, but with it potentially being gone, I fear platforms are going to get worse. I also wonder what new vine will come as a result of this?

I just wanted to leave this as a discussion thread on the topic of what the internet may be like in the ever-approaching Tik Tok-less internet.

-4ZURE-

kiwifarms.net
Just make a reeplacement that isn't controlled by the Chinese to contain the zoomers there, is it really that hard to make a platform for short videos?
Another will definitely take its place and start the cycle all over again of it being good at the start when it is obscure, then get cringe later on down the road due to lolcows, politics, and celebrities joining.

I'm not sure how tiktok is different on a practical level from thousands of other apps that will sell their data to anybody with a dollar.
One is going to a communist party, the others to primarily American businesses. This seems to be the distinction.

Well, nothing of value would be lost if TikTok got nuked right now. Most of it are teenagers doing retarded dances anyway. Or maybe I'm just a grumpy 20 something getting too old for internet fads.
True. The issue lies in what the community it harbors will do post-takedown. After Vine, people like Lele Pons started flooding into YouTube and other sites such as Instagram.

A wave of suicides if we are lucky
When the white girls are unable to renegade now that Tik Tok is gone.

Govt. Shitposting Machine

A shitpost a day keeps the CIA away!
kiwifarms.net
I don't care about the Chinese thing I just want Tik Tok to be banned so my friends stop showing me unfunny garbage originating from it. I've never so much as smirked at anything from there.
Try having your younger family members watch the same TikTok for the entire fucking day with speakers so all you hear is deep fried 80s music looped for 10 seconds over and over and over. Please ban TikTok, or just nuke the fucking HQ. This is ear sodomy.

Deadpool

Magneto was right.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Try having your younger family members watch the same TikTok for the entire fucking day with speakers so all you hear is deep fried 80s music looped for 10 seconds over and over and over. Please ban TikTok, or just nuke the fucking HQ. This is ear sodomy.
Have you heard that terrible cutesy you are my honey bun song? Both it and in the house bored make me want to murder everyone within a mile radius with a hammer whenever I hear them.

-4ZURE-

kiwifarms.net
Have you heard that terrible cutesy you are my honey bun song? Both it and in the house bored make me want to murder everyone within a mile radius with a hammer whenever I hear them.
The thing is, I have found many good songs through Tik Tok. The platform is great for bringing up underrated artists, but the songs that get played a lot are always the most annoying. Kinda miss Hit or Miss TBH. The song is trash, but it is a special kind of trash that is so bad that it is great.

Deadpool

Magneto was right.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The thing is, I have found many good songs through Tik Tok. The platform is great for bringing up underrated artists, but the songs that get played a lot are always the most annoying. Kinda miss Hit or Miss TBH. The song is trash, but it is a special kind of trash that is so bad that it is great.
I can happily say I've never willingly watched anything from Tik Tok.

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
While Tik Tok dying would be the best thing to happen to the net in years, there's two problems:
1. It'll return as Tok Tik or whatever under an American front owned by chinks.
2. It sets the precedent for more borders and further tribalization and centralization of the net. If Tik Tok can be killed without raising a fuss, what's next? How long before all sites have to be either based in or approved by a country to be accessible from it? How long before VPNs are banned or regulated into obsolesence?

An Ghost

Spectral distancing
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
it served its purpose
and granted us ricardo parody memes

Tags
None