The Ethics of Forgetting Historic Tragedies -

No Exit

Bronze Medal Racist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I was shitposting about Columbine and it got me thinking, would forgetting the past actually be a good thing?

I know the saying "People who forget history are doomed to repeat it," but it seems like focusing on trying not to recreate the past is just a self-fulfilling prophecy. Whether we want it to be or not human society and civilizations seem to be cyclical, and just focusing on certain events seem to cause a sort of social priming. The increase in school shootings and rise of social communism are the best examples off the top of my head.
There's also some weird conflict with WW2 and 9/11 memorials where we "never forget" but situations like Columbine and Christchurch are supposed to be swept under the rug. If we're supposed to remember the Holocaust and how evil it was, why forget all the based shootings? If we are so afraid things will repeat, why even remember at all? And considering the priming effect going on why should any war or slavery or whatever be remembered?

So conspiracy posting aside if everything really is doomed to repeat is it actually important to keep track of the atrocities and failures of the past? Is banning and censoring all the horrible things going on really so bad?

Julias_Seizure2

Puts the rave in depraved
kiwifarms.net
It does seem kind of futile, doesn't it? When the main lessons people take away are "white people are evil" and "that wasn't real communism"
Idk man you have footage of a bad enough tragedy and people will be pretty determined for like maybe 100 years max to not repeat it, if they had nazi death camp CCTV footage being passed down itd send a much stronger message than just a description and photos since you could actually see it for yourself

Tags
None