The Final Fantasy Thread -

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Alright random lore question, but is the world of ff 14 and 12 in the same universe?

It certainly seems like it when you get to go to dalmasica in 14, meet fran, Fight sealed abominations from FF tactics and get a full blown reference to vagrant story.

Hell, its even implied that the empire in 14 is directly inspired by the one in 12
. View attachment 1415806

View attachment 1415807
Pretty sure just inspired. Most FF games have assets from past games in them (e.g. Cid, Bahamut, Airships, etc.) Additionally, some of the races such as the miqo'te are not in FF 12 best I recall. The especially close lore between FF 14 and FF 12 likely stems from the fact that FF 14 is actually just the reboot of FF 11 which was made around the same time as FF 12 but apparently sucked. In fact, the old opening from FF 14 depicted the war with Bahamut which destroyed the world in FF 11.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Pretty sure just inspired. Most FF games have assets from past games in them (e.g. Cid, Bahamut, Airships, etc.) Additionally, some of the races such as the miqo'te are not in FF 12 best I recall. The especially close lore between FF 14 and FF 12 likely stems from the fact that FF 14 is actually just the reboot of FF 11 which was made around the same time as FF 12 but apparently sucked. In fact, the old opening from FF 14 depicted the war with Bahamut which destroyed the world in FF 11.
No, it was version 1.0 of FF14 that sucked and was destroyed. FF11 was a separate MMO. Actually it still exists, it's just in an near end-of-life phase with very little active development.

• Informative
Reactions: mr.moon1488

gangweedfan

kiwifarms.net
my only experience with final fantasy so far is dying like a bitch to the first boss in 6. aside from that I played a little of 1 and got bored. it seems like these games are not for me though I usually like other JRPGS like ys, xenogears and SMT.

Reactions: mr.moon1488

mr.moon1488

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
my only experience with final fantasy so far is dying like a bitch to the first boss in 6. aside from that I played a little of 1 and got bored. it seems like these games are not for me though I usually like other JRPGS like ys, xenogears and SMT.
I kinda like them, but I've honestly liked some of the non-ff games SE has made over the years like The Last Remnant better. For some reason, SE seems like it's kind of afraid to get too deep into the RPG aspects in its FF games, but when it has done so, they've honestly been better.

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I kinda like them, but I've honestly liked some of the non-ff games SE has made over the years like The Last Remnant better. For some reason, SE seems like it's kind of afraid to get too deep into the RPG aspects in its FF games, but when it has done so, they've honestly been better.
I think modern SE has lost sight of good characterization, favoring "style" over substance- like persona 5, except the "style" of modern FF also sucks.

Michael Wade

I love my insane psychotic psychic wife.
kiwifarms.net
I believe that 14 takes place so long after tactics that new races and landmass came into being. There has been 7 apocalyptic calamity's over several generations between 12 and 14.

Otherwise the world seems to be a big ass place. With every game taking place on a different continent.

My head canon for the lore is FF Tactics- Vagrant Story- FF12- Revenant Wings- FF Tactics A2- FF14.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
I believe that 14 takes place so long after tactics that new races and landmass came into being. There has been 7 apocalyptic calamity's over several generations between 12 and 14.

Otherwise the world seems to be a big ass place. With every game taking place on a different continent.

My head canon for the lore is FF Tactics- Vagrant Story- FF12- Revenant Wings- FF Tactics A2- FF14.
FF14 is basically just using the Ivalice concepts as references and taking them into their own story due to Dalamasca being a name dropped area before the Ivalice raid series came out. Delita for example is a fairly different character from what I remember, he is implied to be much less of a prick in FF14's lore and is actually Ramza's friend in that lore. If you ever played Tactics then you know that Delita hates Ramza and would never be friends with him.

I also question how you can fit Ivalice's entire history, as it is written in the original games, in FF14's lore considering FF14's world The Source has had 7 different world shaping events that have destroyed nations and effectively remade civilization across its entire history and Ivalice only has one through its roughly 2000-3000 or so year long history with "The Cataclysm" which occurs after 12 but before Tactics. It is incredibly doubtful that you can fit the entirety of Ivalice lore into 14's lore without some major ass pulls like "The Allag empire never touched down on Dalmasca" or something about why Allag ruins just don't exist anywhere in Ivalice's lore or setting. Allag is way too big and important to just not exist if FF12 and Tactics Ivalice exists in the same world as The Source/FF14.

It is much easier to say that FF14 is just referencing Ivalice instead of actually being a part of Ivalice's original lore.

Last edited:

Overcooked Raccoon

Robotnik is still the bae.
kiwifarms.net
FF14 is basically just using the Ivalice concepts as references and taking them into their own story due to Dalamasca being a name dropped area before the Ivalice raid series came out. Delita for example is a fairly different character from what I remember, he is implied to be much less of a prick in FF14's lore and is actually Ramza's friend in that lore. If you ever played Tactics then you know that Delita hates Ramza and would never be friends with him.

I also question how you can fit Ivalice's entire history, as it is written in the original games, in FF14's lore considering FF14's world The Source has had 7 different world shaping events that have destroyed nations and effectively remade civilization across its entire history and Ivalice only has one through its roughly 2000-3000 or so year long history with "The Cataclysm" which occurs after 12 but before Tactics. It is incredibly doubtful that you can fit the entirey of Ivalice lore into 14's lore without some major ass pulls like "The Allag empire never touched down on Dalmasca" or something about why Allag ruins just don't exist anywhere in Ivalice's lore or setting. Allag is way too big and important to just not exist if FF12 and Tactics Ivalice exists in the same world as The Source/FF14.

It is much easier to say that FF14 is just referencing Ivalice instead of actually being a part of Ivalice's original lore.
Pretty much this. It's taking aspects of it, but it's better to relay the XIV is in it's own world and is just borrowing aspects of other games and or the story is told differently to fit the narrative. Since the Return to Ivalice storyline is a crossbreed of Tactics and XII but is also now making it's own lore through the Bozjan Resistance storyline with a specific XIV Legatus.

Last edited:

Richard29

kiwifarms.net
Know what really sucks. That FF3 original famicom game is a better made game, better designed.. Yet people like 3D remake and its being ported by Square

Several reasons why the 3D remake is purely ass that nobody online talks about for whatever reason, they even says it is better.. WHERE? how ?

Either case
- Graphics is unappealing to look at thats one thing. Often people defend that by saying PS1 graphics sucks, which isnt true. Ps1 graphics knew their limitations and their advantages when game designers made games for it. One example is FF7 on PS1. In overhead view its LEGO but in battle its realistic with expanded stage, aswell as camera swinging around to make you excited for the battle. It works. Its well designed. FF3 is like badly action figures, same with FF4 and after years 3D. Its ugly (maybe to give an example. Imagine Super Mario 64, a classic N64 game. And then someone ports it to 2D. You think thats gonna be good? Doubt it.) Remakes on DS would be better if camera was zoomed out more, in battle the characters you play as looks realistic, and maybe as a bonus have CGI cutscenes when important events happens (though last part i can live without)
- Level progression is better in famicom version. Here is how many enemies you can fight in famicom version.
BDENSEs.png

And here is 3D remake max enemies you can fight. 3 enemies
ss_e8e4b7f732584b7520bd8dd9fe940a8629a7a7cc.1920x1080.jpg

Now. whats the problem with limiting 3 enemies again? You have to grind more. If you explore in Famicom version you will get to level 5 in the first part of the game.. atleast safe places where you explore. In 3D one you tend to be level 3 and perhaps level 4. So the level progression is legit worse in the remake version
- Famicom doesnt have the 5/10 guard cheat to job level up. This removes the boring exploit that some likes to do because they think it makes you level up faster. In Famicom, you fight random enemies, level up your job that way. (not that i plan on playing it all the way since thats piracy) but if you can pick any job. Then be Black Belt at end of the game and raise your vitality to 9999 HP. Then i'll say. Its all good

Either case. Just by the little i have played. Famicom is well designed. Remake is terribly bad.

- Not to mention, they actually "famicom version" labels what revives or heals you. This is not in 3D remake.

ogIgCRu.png

7pGE37K.png

And yet people still defend the 3D remakes as good versions. Why? I have no clue.

Last edited:

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Know what really sucks. That FF3 original famicom game is a better made game, better designed.. Yet people like 3D remake and its being ported by Square

Several reasons why the 3D remake is purely ass that nobody online talks about for whatever reason, they even says it is better.. WHERE? how ?

Either case
- Graphics is unappealing to look at thats one thing. Often people defend that by saying PS1 graphics sucks, which isnt true. Ps1 graphics knew their limitations and their advantages when game designers made games for it. One example is FF7 on PS1. In overhead view its LEGO but in battle its realistic with expanded stage, aswell as camera swinging around to make you excited for the battle. It works. Its well designed. FF3 is like badly action figures, same with FF4 and after years 3D. Its ugly
- Level progression is better in famicom version. Here is how many enemies you can fight in famicom version.
View attachment 1416233
And here is 3D remake max enemies you can fight. 3 enemies
View attachment 1416234
Now. whats the problem with limiting 3 enemies again? You have to grind more. If you explore in Famicom version you will get to level 5 in the first part of the game.. atleast safe places where you explore. In 3D one you tend to be level 3 and perhaps level 4. So the level progression is legit worse in the remake version
- Famicom doesnt have the 5/10 guard cheat to job level up. This removes the boring exploit that some likes to do because they think it makes you level up faster. In Famicom, you fight random enemies, level up your job that way. (not that i plan on playing it all the way since thats piracy) but if you can pick any job. Then be Black Belt at end of the game and raise your vitality to 9999 HP. Then i'll say. Its all good

Either case. Just by the little i have played. Famicom is well designed. Remake is terribly bad.

- Not to mention, they actually "famicom version" labels what revives or heals you. This is not in 3D remake.

View attachment 1416236
View attachment 1416237
And yet people still defend the 3D remakes as good versions. Why? I have no clue.
I've played a little of the 3d remakes; they're ugly and awkward. They look like shovelware that some chinese corp shitted out in the FF style.

Richard29

kiwifarms.net
The problem isn't levels, the problem is you get an encounter every 1-2 steps or the enemies are HP sponges.
So the encounter rate is ridiculous high there?. Are we talking "Trap door level high of FF2?"
In remake this didnt happen atleast. Not played famicom all way through so no idea on that one

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
So the encounter rate is ridiculous high there?. Are we talking "Trap door level high of FF2?"
I'll be honest without encounters(i.e. using an Action Replay to disable them) you can run through the whole thing and down the mandatory multiple final bosses in 10-15 minutes.

With encounters it takes 3-5 hours.

Richard29

kiwifarms.net
I'll be honest without encounters(i.e. using an Action Replay to disable them) you can run through the whole thing and down the mandatory multiple final bosses in 10-15 minutes.

With encounters it takes 3-5 hours.
interesting. I mean considering you can have up to 8 enemies in row. I'd imagine the battles take up the time. But FF3 famicom atleast makes battle looks interesting to make up for it.. remake just did nothing for me XD

Michael Wade

I love my insane psychotic psychic wife.
kiwifarms.net
Pretty much this. It's taking aspects of it, but it's better to relay the XIV is in it's own world and is just borrowing aspects of other games and or the story is told differently to fit the narrative. Since the Return to Ivalice storyline is a crossbreed of Tactics and XII but is also now making it's own lore through the Bozjan Resistance storyline with a specific XIV Legatus.
I like the idea that it might be like the FF7-FF10 theory. Where it's theorized that there was some kind of interdimensional travel with the shinra company of 10 going into 7. You could apply that to all the weird elements and races unique to 14.

Otherwise it would have to be an infinite crisis type of situation where the worlds are merging,
due to the split 13 getting gradually wiped out by ascians and being combined with the PC world.

Im probably overthinking this.

• Feels
Reactions: Too Many Catgirls
Tags
None