The Final Fantasy Thread -

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Tales of Series has special boss battles of characters from previous games who show up for very vague reasons. It's been done before.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
I like the idea that it might be like the FF7-FF10 theory. Where it's theorized that there was some kind of interdimensional travel with the shinra company of 10 going into 7. You could apply that to all the weird elements and races unique to 14.

Otherwise it would have to be an infinite crisis type of situation where the worlds are merging,
due to the split 13 getting gradually wiped out by ascians and being combined with the PC world.

Im probably overthinking this.
That doesn't work. FFXIV makes it fairly clear what happens when things get merged.

All shards get wiped when merged to the source they're 100% gone, it is sacrificial genocide on a mass scale in order to return the source and its people to its original state. They're the byproduct of what shouldn't exist to the Ascians. You don't just plop down all the remains of the shards into The Source, they're all stated to be drained back into The Source. The reason Aldernard/The 1st shard is different is because they end up with different history due to worse tech (due to being 1/14th of a whole while the source is about 1 half of a whole), never having to experience the calamities, and Ascian meddling. This is why everyone in the Scions opposes the Ascians because they're basically nuking universes into nothing and kill countless people. The ONLY confirmation from the devs, that I can remember, of an actual cross over is FFXI as Vanadial is supposedly is an actual shard somewhere that still exists.

Michael Wade

I love my insane psychotic psychic wife.
kiwifarms.net
That doesn't work. FFXIV makes it fairly clear what happens when things get merged.

All shards get wiped when merged to the source they're 100% gone, it is sacrificial genocide on a mass scale in order to return the source and its people to its original state. They're the byproduct of what shouldn't exist to the Ascians. You don't just plop down all the remains of the shards into The Source, they're all stated to be drained back into The Source. The reason Aldernard/The 1st shard is different is because they end up with different history due to worse tech (due to being 1/14th of a whole while the source is about 1 half of a whole), never having to experience the calamities, and Ascian meddling. This is why everyone in the Scions opposes the Ascians because they're basically nuking universes into nothing and kill countless people. The ONLY confirmation from the devs, that I can remember, of an actual cross over is FFXI as Vanadial is supposedly is an actual shard somewhere that still exists.
Alright then, im just gonna assume everything from 12 is in the same verse for the time being.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Vana'diel as a shard in the FFXIV universe conflicts with FFXI's own later lore, where you had parallel universes such as Abyssea and wherever it was that the alternate Shantottos came from in her mini-expansion. Also there were other unrelated universes with their own mothercrystals in the last two expansions. If I remember right, Tartarus was one such other universe that was ruled by darkness, but I never finished Adoulin so I'm not sure. There was also that other, new crystal in Reisenjima that Selhteus made using stolen crystal energy from many other universes... or something, I never finished that either and it was years ago.

Zeke Von Genbu

Behold my Blade PANDORIA
kiwifarms.net
Vana'diel as a shard in the FFXIV universe conflicts with FFXI's own later lore, where you had parallel universes such as Abyssea and wherever it was that the alternate Shantottos came from in her mini-expansion. Also there were other unrelated universes with their own mothercrystals in the last two expansions. If I remember right, Tartarus was one such other universe that was ruled by darkness, but I never finished Adoulin so I'm not sure. There was also that other, new crystal in Reisenjima that Selhteus made using stolen crystal energy from many other universes... or something, I never finished that either and it was years ago.
I believe it was sometime after the FFXI crossover (Where they did their last update for FFXI) where they supposedly stated, this was awhile ago, that Vana'diel and The Source exist in the same multi universe. I don't know enough about FFXI's lore to be able to fully answer how it makes sense, it'll probably be some retcon (likely written as "you thought it was one thing, but really it was Ascians the whole time!) that forces FFXI and FFXIV to exist in tandem because the actual FFXIV storyline is running out of plot points with Shadowbringers leading up to fighting the penultimate antagonist so they probably want to cash in on FFXI like they did with the relic quest in Stormblood with all the FFXI references. Plus if we do go to Vana'diel they'll probably remake all the main 3 cities which will be pretty cool for some people as I remember places like Bastok looking pretty cool for early 2000s.

Last edited:

Disc

A Dubious Disc indeed.
kiwifarms.net
Alright random lore question, but is the world of ff 14 and 12 in the same universe?

It certainly seems like it when you get to go to dalmasica in 14, meet fran, Fight sealed abominations from FF tactics and get a full blown reference to vagrant story.

Hell, its even implied that the empire in 14 is directly inspired by the one in 12
FFXIV's world is somewhat confusing, as the main body of the game is one world split into 14, but those worlds aren't the 14 worlds of the other games, it's just a reference. Things from other games appear, but they're actually just alt-verse versions of the ones from the original game.

It doesn't help that 'the source' and 'the first' are two separate worlds.

I don't know if the Empire is based on any other game's empire overall, but specific legions of the Empire are based on specific games' antagonists. For example, the VIIth Legion is the one in charge of making the Weapons from FFVII.

Reactions: Michael Wade

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Everything in FFXIV is very loosely based on other games, with an emphasis on loosely based.

Everything (for the most part) takes place in the source and it's very common for characters to be able to travel though time, space, worlds, and dimensions.

Characters from FFXI have crossed over (with Shantoto being part of the BLM quests from 60-70), characters from FFXIII have crossed over, characters from FFXV have crossed over (and FFXIV characters have gone there). There are express references/raids/bosses of FF6, FF Tactics, FF8, FF5 and probably others that I'm missing.

The game also draws a lot of paraells to other games, with small changes. In FF6 - the evil imperial is unable to take the city of Doma by force so they call in the "big bad evil imperial wizard" and he poisons the water supply, killing nearly everyone, save for an elder samurai in the army who joins the party as his wife and son (named Shun/Hein) are killed. In FF14 - the evil empire is unable to take the city of Doma by force so they call in the "big bad evil imperial warrior" who starts decimating the army singlehandedly - killing and demoralizing the entire army into surrendering. Cyan/Kaien is killed here (as is his wife) but his son Shun/Hein survives instead and effectively joins the party.

I'd describe the FFXIV world as similar to Dark Souls, more than anything else. The lines between time/space are constantly getting worse and things happen differently in some cases.

Disc

A Dubious Disc indeed.
kiwifarms.net
Everything in FFXIV is very loosely based on other games, with an emphasis on loosely based.
It's ironic that one of the few games that FFXIV could be actually canon with is Nier Automata, as people genuinely are wondering if the Nier raids in the most recent expansion are follow-ons from the events of Nier itself.

Reactions: Michael Wade

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
It's ironic that one of the few games that FFXIV could be actually canon with is Nier Automata, as people genuinely are wondering if the Nier raids in the most recent expansion are follow-ons from the events of Nier itself.
From a very technical standpoint - anything in FFXIV could be canon to the various FF games (such as FF12 looking Judges finding the ruins of the FF Tactics raid as they're in the same universe) but it isn't treated as super serious. The most serious I think it gets is the FFXIV x FFXV and FFXIV x FFXI crossovers which are two-way crossovers as opposed to just one way ones.

Neir is strange in that (AFAIK) everything is canon. The books, the audio books, the stage plays, the crossovers (FFXIV and Soul Calibur), whatever insane shenanigans that Yoko Taro thinks up is canonized.

It's also worth noting that FFXIV has other crossovers as well - Garo, Dragon Quest, Yo-kai Watch, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Monster Hunter to name a few - so it isn't restricted to only Final Fantasy titles, or even first party titles.

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Neir is strange in that (AFAIK) everything is canon. The books, the audio books, the stage plays, the crossovers (FFXIV and Soul Calibur), whatever insane shenanigans that Yoko Taro thinks up is canonized.
You're correct- even the concert series are fully canon and always introduce a few more details. The tour at the beginning of 2020 brought a little bit more to light but I don't remember the details. The world of Nier doesn't do a lot because Yoko is a control freak and wants to keep canon clean. I was surprised they even had raids in FFXIV because of how retarded the writing in FFXIV usually is.

Inquisitor_BadAss

Karen poster extraordinaire
kiwifarms.net
Anybody else looking at picking up the crystal chronicles remake? It’s got cross platform and if you play online with the “lite” version and join a party with a person who bought the game you can play through 13 of the dungeons instead of just the first 3.

I’ve still got my GameCube and original copy but never managed to get multiplayer because I was the only person in friend group with a GBA. I’m gonna wait on the reviews since online will probably be janky as fuck if people are joking parties on their phone or tablets.

Mooger Meng

kiwifarms.net
Anybody else looking at picking up the crystal chronicles remake? It’s got cross platform and if you play online with the “lite” version and join a party with a person who bought the game you can play through 13 of the dungeons instead of just the first 3.

I’ve still got my GameCube and original copy but never managed to get multiplayer because I was the only person in friend group with a GBA. I’m gonna wait on the reviews since online will probably be janky as fuck if people are joking parties on their phone or tablets.
I'm keeping an eye on it. I'm one of those utter spergs that isn't happy with the redub of the title song, though, so I'm already hedging my bets on it.

Fancy Dan

kiwifarms.net
FF7 and 9 should have their roles reversed
FF7 is the good one
FF9 is the extremely overrated one

I am an asshole I know

Tags
None