The Final Fantasy Thread -

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
I've been replaying FFX on my Vita. There's sperging around about FFX WAS LINEAR AND FFXIII IS LINEAR AND IT'S CONSIDERED BAD... except FFX took place in a crapsack fantasy world that you actually want to know what happened to, and you're as ignorant as Tidus is after he gets sucked out of Zanarkand by Sin. It's legitimately a good story, and it even has good voice acting, but I imagine the next time round I'll be using an undub.

Also, fuck getting the Al Bhed primers and the temple puzzles. The puzzles I can understand, but if you don't get all the primers you don't know what the fantasy arabs are saying, and that's just annoying. (I can't get a save editor to work with the Vita version.)

And still I think FFX-2 is the better game gameplay wise. :\

Coster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been replaying FFX on my Vita. There's sperging around about FFX WAS LINEAR AND FFXIII IS LINEAR AND IT'S CONSIDERED BAD... except FFX took place in a crapsack fantasy world that you actually want to know what happened to, and you're as ignorant as Tidus is after he gets sucked out of Zanarkand by Sin. It's legitimately a good story, and it even has good voice acting, but I imagine the next time round I'll be using an undub.

Also, fuck getting the Al Bhed primers and the temple puzzles. The puzzles I can understand, but if you don't get all the primers you don't know what the fantasy arabs are saying, and that's just annoying. (I can't get a save editor to work with the Vita version.)

And still I think FFX-2 is the better game gameplay wise. :\
10 and 13 are hallways, but the difference is that 10's hallway is episodic storytelling that builds upon the main cast as well as the world and customs of Spira, with Tidus being the player's vehicle to navigate it. 13's hallway worked hard to build its cast, but the vast majority of real worldbuilding is in datalogs. If every cutscene in 13 took place in a white void it wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net

Pissmaster

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If ever I were gonna do another game in the FF9 universe, I'd do one starring Tantalus and what they did before FF9. Put on shows and swindle the rich. Like a strategy game where you have to keep the people distracted while running your thieves around the place, taking what you can and getting out as clean as possible. Setting up orchestral queues to coincide with explosions, like in this movie:

Things like that.

catpin

Esfores is nice chicken and rice
kiwifarms.net
me and a friendo made a kiwifarms free company on FFXIV called kiwi friendos.
Its on aether - siren. i dunno if anyone wants to join us but if you want to send me an dm

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
I just beat Final Fantasy XII a few days ago and I really enjoyed it. Though the combat was definitely different for the franchise, the open nature of the world, one that invites you to screw around instead of just going from story point to story point reminded me of the World of Ruin from VI. To be honest, I’m shocked that Square-Enix allowed a game like this to be in the main numbered series after FFX confirmed that there’s a bigger audience for that style. Unfortunately, main numbered entries happen so rarely that they no longer seem to be able to be that experimental.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I picked up FF VIII Remastered a week ago because it was on sale on Switch. I figured maybe this time I could finally make some progression if I ignored Triple Triad (which was always the 50 foot wall between me and actually playing the game) and went about my business. I dipped my toes into mind you, but only enough to where I could craft Squall's third weapon. Sure enough, I've made it to the first part of the second "disk" (weirdly, this is the only Switch FF game that keeps track of the disks; VII and IX ignored it entirely) and I'm at the part where the Garden's in panic and I think I'm about to fight NORG.

Maybe I'm playing it wrong (and it's entirely possible because VIII's Junction system is a mess), but holy hell the character progressions is agonizingly slow. Every character that isn't Squall can't do physical attacks worth more than 100, and I barely feel any different outside of a higher HP count. My characters still feel like they're taking and dealing the same amount of damage as they were 5 or 6 hours ago. By this point in VII and IX, my characters are dealing attacks worth hundreds, sometimes thousands of points of damage. I get that Junctioning is based on the quantity and the strength of the spells you draw, but in practice I feel as though nothing's really changed. I suppose it is my fault for not trying to break the game in outrageous ways, but I am hoping the system picks up soon.

That being said, I like the story, or at least how it's handled. I like that VIII focuses on a smaller cast than VII or IX and tries to get everyone involved where some characters just feel forgotten in those other two games. I am at least engaged with Squall's progression to a strong leader and his relationships with his squad. It's just the combat's really starting to feel samey and tedious.

Maybe I'm playing it wrong (and it's entirely possible because VIII's Junction system is a mess), but holy hell the character progressions is agonizingly slow. Every character that isn't Squall can't do physical attacks worth more than 100, and I barely feel any different outside of a higher HP count. My characters still feel like they're taking and dealing the same amount of damage as they were 5 or 6 hours ago. By this point in VII and IX, my characters are dealing attacks worth hundreds, sometimes thousands of points of damage. I get that Junctioning is based on the quantity and the strength of the spells you draw, but in practice I feel as though nothing's really changed. I suppose it is my fault for not trying to break the game in outrageous ways, but I am hoping the system picks up soon.
The Junction system is the worst character builder in Final Fantasy History. It is a broken, incoherent mess that actually punishes you for casting high level magic.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
The Junction system is the worst character builder in Final Fantasy History. It is a broken, incoherent mess that actually punishes you for casting high level magic.
I still don't understand how the magic system really works. As in, I'm still using low-level spells like Fire, Thunder, and Blizzard even roughly ten hours into the game. I've found more powerful spells with hidden draw points, but I feel like I somehow missed something because mid-level magic is still shockingly rare. Am I supposed to craft that myself? Because I can, I've learned the abilities to do so and that's how people attain game-breaking spells like Tornado in the first couple of hours, but when the enemies are still using low-level magic then something just feels off, like at some point they should have already started using upper-tier stuff but they aren't.

• Feels
Reactions: R.A.E.L.

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
From a very technical standpoint - anything in FFXIV could be canon to the various FF games (such as FF12 looking Judges finding the ruins of the FF Tactics raid as they're in the same universe) but it isn't treated as super serious. The most serious I think it gets is the FFXIV x FFXV and FFXIV x FFXI crossovers which are two-way crossovers as opposed to just one way ones.

Neir is strange in that (AFAIK) everything is canon. The books, the audio books, the stage plays, the crossovers (FFXIV and Soul Calibur), whatever insane shenanigans that Yoko Taro thinks up is canonized.

It's also worth noting that FFXIV has other crossovers as well - Garo, Dragon Quest, Yo-kai Watch, Phantasy Star Online 2, and Monster Hunter to name a few - so it isn't restricted to only Final Fantasy titles, or even first party titles.
The most interesting one is Tactics Ogre because you can't write it off as a seasonal "what-if" event. Nybeth's appearance is tied to the lore.

I still don't understand how the magic system really works. As in, I'm still using low-level spells like Fire, Thunder, and Blizzard even roughly ten hours into the game. I've found more powerful spells with hidden draw points, but I feel like I somehow missed something because mid-level magic is still shockingly rare. Am I supposed to craft that myself? Because I can, I've learned the abilities to do so and that's how people attain game-breaking spells like Tornado in the first couple of hours, but when the enemies are still using low-level magic then something just feels off, like at some point they should have already started using upper-tier stuff but they aren't.
You largely craft magic from items that enemies drop and items you refine from cards, but you never want to use it because if you use a spell it reduces the power of the stat it is junctioned too.

I mean really 99% of the encounters in the game are solvable by "Junction Curaga to Squalls HP so his HP is in the "Red" but still so high no enemy is actually a threat to you..and just spam triangle till he gets a limit break.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I picked up FF VIII Remastered a week ago because it was on sale on Switch. I figured maybe this time I could finally make some progression if I ignored Triple Triad (which was always the 50 foot wall between me and actually playing the game) and went about my business. I dipped my toes into mind you, but only enough to where I could craft Squall's third weapon. Sure enough, I've made it to the first part of the second "disk" (weirdly, this is the only Switch FF game that keeps track of the disks; VII and IX ignored it entirely) and I'm at the part where the Garden's in panic and I think I'm about to fight NORG.

That being said, I like the story, or at least how it's handled. I like that VIII focuses on a smaller cast than VII or IX and tries to get everyone involved where some characters just feel forgotten in those other two games. I am at least engaged with Squall's progression to a strong leader and his relationships with his squad. It's just the combat's really starting to feel samey and tedious.
Read up how to break the battle system with ultima junctions and how get the end game weapon in chapter 1.

You will be steamrolling through the game. Squall can pull off a few billion in damage per turn with his final limit break spam. The junction system requires some reading but it allows for so many ways to overpower everything in the game.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Read up how to break the battle system with ultima junctions and how get the end game weapon in chapter 1.
I've been wanting to do that for years, but the issue I kept running into was that it meant I had to do constant Triple Triad, and I would get sick of it quickly. Grinding by itself is bad enough, but grinding for cards is even worse. Plus I'm pretty sure the reason I grew to hate Triple Triad is because of all the time I wasted trying to get those specific cards. The big thing I wanted to do here was to just ignore all the game-breaking stuff (especially since I never made it farther than the prison at the beginning of disk 2) and just try to play the game normally, or as close to normal as possible. I wanted to at least beat the game normally and then break it in a future playthrough.

Now I'm starting to understand why a lot of people try breaking it as soon as possible.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
Triple Triad was great fun, especially if you figured out how to get the less shitty rules to propagate from region to region.

FF8 had a great story and I thought it had great gameplay, too. I'd rather see an actual FF8 remake than an FF7 remake, but what I want most of all is a full bore remake of FF9 in 4k.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
Triple Triad was great fun, especially if you figured out how to get the less shitty rules to propagate from region to region.
I did hate Triple Triad less this time around. I don't like card games in general (I don't even like Gwent and nobody shuts up about Gwent) so I don't like doing any more Triple Triad than I have to, but when I got some decent cards it was more bearable. Now doing it to grind cards is something I'd rather not do. I went into it with a mindset like Tetra Master; only do it when I feel like it but don't bother with the side shit.

FF8 had a great story and I thought it had great gameplay, too. I'd rather see an actual FF8 remake than an FF7 remake, but what I want most of all is a full bore remake of FF9 in 4k.
Funnily enough, Yoshinori Kitase has floated the idea of a remake of VIII, but he discussed it in the context of fan theories; he denied the Squall is Dead theory but might include it in a possible remake. Given the direction the FF7 Remake is going, I wouldn't be surprised if a hypothetical remake of VIII went down that road. However he also denied the theory that Ultimecia is Rinoa and refused to consider the idea should the game be remade.

So basically if it happens, it's going to be in a monkey's paw sort of way. Not unlike the VII remake really.

I do agree with a IX remake though. More specifically, it needs to include all the stories that were cut for time, such as Freya's arc that cuts short after Burmecia. IX's a fantastic game, but it's a shame some of the more interesting stuff never made it into the final product.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net
I actually have a theory that Selphie is Artemisia, mostly due to the fact that Selphie is the only one to use natural magic (well, until Rinoa does late in the game) and a theory that Artemisia wanted to remember her youth.

There's a reason I'm using that spelling. It's less retarded than what the official translation is. In addition, it's what you can almost read the kana for アルティミシア as. ( arutimishia; I guess Artemishia would work too, but I received the impression it was supposed to evoke a European sorceress name; in addition, "sh" is commonly rendered as "ss" in Japanese media transliteration; see Yossi/Yoshi)

I'll take my puzzle pieces thanks

Tags
None