The Final Fantasy Thread -

R.A.E.L.

Sugarbaby
kiwifarms.net
I'm playing through the remastered version of VIII myself for the first time. Fucking hate the Junction system and the fact that leveling up only makes things more difficult for you. I really should've done some research before jumping into this game because I feel like I've just been bumbling along and winning most of the boss fights by sheer luck. I'm currently stuck on Lunatic Pandora (with only one save file because I'm a dumbass) and having trouble with Adel. I've looked up strategies but nothing is working for me so far; I can keep Rinoa alive for a while, but the main problem is I'm not doing enough damage because everyone else aside from Squall is weak af. They all still have their default weapons, and it doesn't help that I've missed a bunch of the GFs like Cerberus and Jumbo Cactuar. Last one I got was Alexander.

My strongest(?) party members are Squall at level 32, Zell at 32 and Selphie at 21. I've heard Irvine is pretty helpful so I swapped Selphie out for him - he's level 20. A bunch of people have mentioned that his and Zell's Limit Breaks help in this fight, which is kinda ironic because up until this point I had no idea how they worked and I think it, too, is bullshit.

At this point I don't know what else I can do and am debating just dropping the game because it feels like I'm screwed. I've been having a tough time with VIII overall and it's kinda ruined my ability to enjoy the story in any way.

On a more positive note, I recently finished the FF7 remake and had a lot of fun with it.

Last edited:
Read up how to break the battle system with ultima junctions and how get the end game weapon in chapter 1.

You will be steamrolling through the game. Squall can pull off a few billion in damage per turn with his final limit break spam. The junction system requires some reading but it allows for so many ways to overpower everything in the game.
Squall isn't even the OP one, once Rinoa gets Angel Wing at the end of the game you can do some obscene things with her. (Phrasing I know)

Reactions: TheKatIsNowGone

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I did hate Triple Triad less this time around. I don't like card games in general (I don't even like Gwent and nobody shuts up about Gwent) so I don't like doing any more Triple Triad than I have to, but when I got some decent cards it was more bearable. Now doing it to grind cards is something I'd rather not do. I went into it with a mindset like Tetra Master; only do it when I feel like it but don't bother with the side shit.

Funnily enough, Yoshinori Kitase has floated the idea of a remake of VIII, but he discussed it in the context of fan theories; he denied the Squall is Dead theory but might include it in a possible remake. Given the direction the FF7 Remake is going, I wouldn't be surprised if a hypothetical remake of VIII went down that road. However he also denied the theory that Ultimecia is Rinoa and refused to consider the idea should the game be remade.

So basically if it happens, it's going to be in a monkey's paw sort of way. Not unlike the VII remake really.

I do agree with a IX remake though. More specifically, it needs to include all the stories that were cut for time, such as Freya's arc that cuts short after Burmecia. IX's a fantastic game, but it's a shame some of the more interesting stuff never made it into the final product.
I don;t like gwent or any other card game either but early game Triple Triad is a godsend for breaking the junction system fast. Once you AP farm enough for Card and Card Mod, you can ignore most random fights and just strategically get a few spells and carded monsters to go apeshit. You can get some good cards early on through TT that will let you refine some near end game magicks pretty early.

Early game tip: Card the t-rex in the garden, card mod into dino bones, time-space mod into quake, junction quake to STR. This will carry you through the first disc with ease. If you've gotten siren, you can junction sleep to your attack and take no damage from the t-rex.

I don;t like gwent or any other card game either but early game Triple Triad is a godsend for breaking the junction system fast. Once you AP farm enough for Card and Card Mod, you can ignore most random fights and just strategically get a few spells and carded monsters to go apeshit. You can get some good cards early on through TT that will let you refine some near end game magicks pretty early.

Early game tip: Card the t-rex in the garden, card mod into dino bones, time-space mod into quake, junction quake to STR. This will carry you through the first disc with ease. If you've gotten siren, you can junction sleep to your attack and take no damage from the t-rex.
Easier way without grinding, Cheat on the Seed Tests ASAP, Buy tents, Refine to Curaga..and watch as nothing in the game is a threat to squall with it Junctioned to his HP

Edit : also as an aside, I am nearing the end of the first "season" of Final Fantasy Brave Exvius's story and it was..mostly good.

It was a better story than anything that came after 9 at least.

Tags
None