The Final Fantasy Thread -

Shield Breaker

^_^
kiwifarms.net
>Places Lightning in the top 10 of best FF characters
>Loves them some grinding

Definitely
Lightning was made to be a female Cloud, so the fanboys could stop feeling guilty about their attraction to Trap Cloud. The weirdos then increased her cup size in the third game and bragged about it in an interview. :cringe:

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
Kind of a noob here, I’ve played 1-7 and 9 as well as Brave Exvius. My favorites are all the SNES ones. Is 8 a good game? Should I bother with any of the games after 9?

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
Is 8 a good game? Should I bother with any of the games after 9?
VIII's got some interesting mechanics, but the story shits the bed something fierce, moreso than your average Final Fantasy. I'd say go for it because at the very least its ideas and character customization are fascinating if insanely easy to break.

As for games after IX, I really like X. I consider it to be sort of the cutoff point of high quality FF games. I personally don't care much for the games post FFX.

Massively Strong Greed

Thanks for the money, dummy!
kiwifarms.net
VIII's got some interesting mechanics, but the story shits the bed something fierce, moreso than your average Final Fantasy. I'd say go for it because at the very least its ideas and character customization are fascinating if insanely easy to break.

As for games after IX, I really like X. I consider it to be sort of the cutoff point of high quality FF games. I personally don't care much for the games post FFX.
Thanks for your insight. I’m definitely not interested in any of the games after 10.

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
I’ve heard some good things about 12, doesn’t it play like Xenoblade? I hate Vaan though.
In my opinion it plays much more smoothly than Xenoblade, especially on the Switch with a "Fast-Forward" option. Vaan is pretty bad. I believe at one point the writers realized a disgraced hero of a fallen noble order (Basch) was taking a ride with a smuggler/pirate and his fur-friend (Baltheir and Fran) to save the Princess (Ashe) from an Imperial Warship. At which point they decided they needed a whiny brat from the desert as the MC.

He's like a Tidus who really missed the mark. A player character who isn't quite the main character/hero that Tidus (and arguably Cloud, very arguably) pulled off. Because they were absolutely still important to events, Vaan is not.

Last edited:

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
Vaan literally only exists because marketing wanted a prettyboy main character. So he follows the much more interesting actual main characters around the whole time not really doing much of importance. Most useless annoying main character in any Final Fantasy IMO.
And he makes the guy who was originally the MC (so I hear) pointless after the first few hours. This being Basch. A guy who spent years in a prison and as a result would still be ignorant of the world and has a personal stake in the journey. Now he's just the brother of a boss who is much cooler than him.

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
I assume this is the place to talk about it, but what are expectations for the Remake? What is everyone hoping?
My expectation, and purusing what I have every reason to believe are legit leaks affirms, that it's reasonably accurate to the original but embellished with just more and specifically more fanservice elements. My hope is that a bunch of people who are very unfamiliar with the original think it ruined or changed everything. Largely because I dislike the effect the compilation installments have had on the legacy of FF7.

I am also replaying the original currently and I like pretty much every way it explains or presents things over the newly canon or worse the fanon interpretations. So I want that, though I doubt I'll get my way 100% (Zack will still probably have an epic death for example).

• Optimistic
Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

Burned Man

Trans-Legion burnedgender Mormankin
kiwifarms.net
I assume this is the place to talk about it, but what are expectations for the Remake? What is everyone hoping?
My expectation, and purusing what I have every reason to believe are legit leaks affirms, that it's reasonably accurate to the original but embellished with just more and specifically more fanservice elements. My hope is that a bunch of people who are very unfamiliar with the original think it ruined or changed everything. Largely because I dislike the effect the compilation installments have had on the legacy of FF7.

I am also replaying the original currently and I like pretty much every way it explains or presents things over the newly canon or worse the fanon interpretations. So I want that, though I doubt I'll get my way 100% (Zack will still probably have an epic death for example).
I could see them reaching a middle ground with Zack's death. In Crisis Core its the end of the game and its the last time you will get to be this character or even see them alive. I can understand why they wanted it to be a bigger sequence and even then it still cuts to a segment where you play as Zack mortally wounded limping around can't even swing the sword as you get gunned down by infantrymen. In 7 Zack runs of screen noises happen then he gets pushed back into frame to get shot. I doubt we'd get this exact view of things nowadays.

I expect we'll get a scene of him fighting like 10 guys (not an entire battalion of dudes with air support) and taking 7 seven of them out before faltering. If not that then I hope we at least get a scene where its shown Zack is in bad shape prior to the fight or the Shinra grunts jump him instead of Zack knowing they are there.

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
For it to absolutely suck.

I was hoping it would be the same gameplay with revamped graphics and maybe some new materia and a "super secret" way to revive Aeris at the end, but we are getting 12/13/15 MMO wannabe bullshit.
There were like nonsense guides about how to revive Aeris back in the day. They should use those as inspiration. I'd actually like it if it was a challenge to accomplish.

I could see them reaching a middle ground with Zack's death. In Crisis Core its the end of the game and its the last time you will get to be this character or even see them alive. I can understand why they wanted it to be a bigger sequence and even then it still cuts to a segment where you play as Zack mortally wounded limping around can't even swing the sword as you get gunned down by infantrymen. In 7 Zack runs of screen noises happen then he gets pushed back into frame to get shot. I doubt we'd get this exact view of things nowadays.

I expect we'll get a scene of him fighting like 10 guys (not an entire battalion of dudes with air support) and taking 7 seven of them out before faltering. If not that then I hope we at least get a scene where its shown Zack is in bad shape prior to the fight or the Shinra grunts jump him instead of Zack knowing they are there.
That would be alright. Seeing him struggle against a crack squad would give him a more epic end without glorifying his death, since he's still being hunted and put down like a dog. Like First Blood, the book, ending with Rambo's inglorious death.

BigTimeSamurai

I AM A DIGITAL CYBER DEMON!!!
kiwifarms.net
I’ve heard some good things about 12, doesn’t it play like Xenoblade? I hate Vaan though.
I have been playing through the games from 7 onwards over the last year or so and I am on 12 currently and I am liking it a lot. I am quite near the end of the game, just clearing of my to do list as it were which is to get the last two espers ultima and zodiark but I don't yet know if I am going to bother with yiazmat or not since it literally just took me like 45 minutes to defeat the behemoth king, I've already got 50 hours clocked and I have gotten more than enough out of the game already.

12 is quite a cool game I think. It feels unlike the other games in the series in my opinion. The gameplay looks different but it is actually pretty similar once you get to grips with and personally I find it a lot more fun. It is very satisfying to set up your party just right and watch them decimate entire rooms at breakneck speeds. The strangest thing is the story though like you can immediately tell that Sakaguchi had no involvement in this as it lacks a certain emotional crux that all his games seems to have, this game was directed by the same guy who worked on FF Tactics, right? The one that /v/ likes? Anyways, it's a cool game with a fun combat system, an interesting world to explore and going on the hunts sort of reminds me of Monster Hunter which is neat, so yeah I would recommend it. Vann is terrible mind you, like I can't count how many scenes where his mere inclusion has made them worse. He is sort of like Zidane in FF9 where he sort of takes a backseat to other characters if you remove all of Zidane's charisma and energy and his chemistry with characters like Steiner and Vivi and instead you just have a dullard in his place. Ashe is the proper main character, but Penello is my Tank/Healer party leader and all around MVP so she is the TRUE and HONEST main character,

Also the voice acting in this game is 10/10.

FF10 is a pretty iconic game and I really enjoyed the story when I played it a few months back. The only thing I will say is absolutely DO NOT even think about fighting Nemesis or Panacea as it is a surefire way of ruining the game for you. X/2 is actually nowhere near as bad as people make it seem, all I would say is if you play it do what I did and think of it more like a DLC/expansion rather than an actual sequel like it was marketed to be and enjoy it for what it is.

As far as FF8 goes you honestly just have to play it for yourself to see if you like it. It's a diamond in the rough for certain but it has some of my favourite scenes in the entire franchise. They are all worth playing in my opinion but 10 and 12 are both better though so you should probably just play one of those.

EDIT: To avoid making another comment here, I just want to say that I have less than no interest in the remake. The original still holds up fine, I know because I played it for the first time in August, and so the idea of paying £200 over multiple years and over multiple platforms to play the same game again but with pretty graphics and shit voice acting is a little bit of a joke to me, but enjoy your premium rate nostalgia, I guess.

Last edited:

Shield Breaker

^_^
kiwifarms.net
I have been playing through the games from 7 onwards over the last year or so and I am on 12 currently and I am liking it a lot. I am quite near the end of the game, just clearing of my to do list as it were which is to get the last two espers ultima and zodiark but I don't yet know if I am going to bother with yiazmat or not since it literally just took me like 45 minutes to defeat the behemoth king, I've already got 50 hours clocked and I have gotten more than enough out of the game already.

12 is quite a cool game I think. It feels unlike the other games in the series in my opinion. The gameplay looks different but it is actually pretty similar once you get to grips with and personally I find it a lot more fun. It is very satisfying to set up your party just right and watch them decimate entire rooms at breakneck speeds. The strangest thing is the story though like you can immediately tell that Sakaguchi had no involvement in this as it lacks a certain emotional crux that all his games seems to have, this game was directed by the same guy who worked on FF Tactics, right? The one that /v/ likes? Anyways, it's a cool game with a fun combat system, an interesting world to explore and going on the hunts sort of reminds me of Monster Hunter which is neat, so yeah I would recommend it. Vann is terrible mind you, like I can't count how many scenes where his mere inclusion has made them worse. He is sort of like Zidane in FF9 where he sort of takes a backseat to other characters if you remove all of Zidane's charisma and energy and his chemistry with characters like Steiner and Vivi and instead you just have a dullard in his place. Ashe is the proper main character, but Penello is my Tank/Healer party leader and all around MVP so she is the TRUE and HONEST main character,

Also the voice acting in this game is 10/10.

FF10 is a pretty iconic game and I really enjoyed the story when I played it a few months back. The only thing I will say is absolutely DO NOT even think about fighting Nemesis or Panacea as it is a surefire way of ruining the game for you. X/2 is actually nowhere near as bad as people make it seem, all I would say is if you play it do what I did and think of it more like a DLC/expansion rather than an actual sequel like it was marketed to be and enjoy it for what it is.

As far as FF8 goes you honestly just have to play it for yourself to see if you like it. It's a diamond in the rough for certain but it has some of my favourite scenes in the entire franchise. They are all worth playing in my opinion but 10 and 12 are both better though so you should probably just play one of those.

EDIT: To avoid making another comment here, I just want to say that I have less than no interest in the remake. The original still holds up fine, I know because I played it for the first time in August, and so the idea of paying £200 over multiple years and over multiple platforms to play the same game again but with pretty graphics and shit voice acting is a little bit of a joke to me, but enjoy your premium rate nostalgia, I guess.
XII's development was a mess. The FFT guy was forced out partway through, because he wasn't willing to compromise on everything SE was demanding. Vaan was one of the last characters added, with Balthier and the Knight guy both being previous MC. It is also why the story just kind of peters out.

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
I'd argue 12's story gets better as it goes on because Vaan becomes less important as actual political and fantastical elements become more pressing. The climax might be perfunctory but that's nothing to do with the MC issue.

Tags
None