The Final Fantasy Thread -

TerminalTryHard

Use your fucking blinker
kiwifarms.net
V is the most popular Final Fantasy game in Japan. It may be a passion project for the devs, but not because its obscure.
I always forget how radically different Japan and the US are when it comes to favorite FFs, it would be interesting to see if a game like V which doesn't have much of a following in the US would still get ported out of Japan.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Every Westerner who plays V likes it a lot, it's not exactly saturated here. Was never ported over when it was first released. And when it was ported later it was lost in a shuffle of other ports. It's not as well known as VI for example and got ported at or around the same time.
It was ported in the same bundle with VI when Final Fantasy Anthology collection was released. No doubt that overshadowed it for a lot of people.

Freya

i wanna go where the down boys go
kiwifarms.net
V was good, but III is definitely the most underappreciated FF game. I almost never see anybody specifically praise it, which is a shame.

the music and art style is great, the amount of places to see was pretty mind boggling for an NES game. i mean, you can fly off the fucking map.

the only real issue is that the combat is brutal

• Agree
Reactions: Shield Breaker

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net
V was good, but III is definitely the most underappreciated FF game. I almost never see anybody specifically praise it, which is a shame.

the music and art style is great, the amount of places to see was pretty mind boggling for an NES game. i mean, you can fly off the fucking map.

the only real issue is that the combat is brutal
It's easy for me to forget about how underappreciated III is when the DS version was the first Final Fantasy I ever played.

John Titor

Pronouns: time/temporal/tempself
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I dislike the translation because they dove super deep and did a full "13th century Shakespearean play" re-translation. The original translation was also bad (in terms of grammar) but I would have much preferred that it was cleaned up instead of replaced with nonsense. It really kills the flow of conversation at times when it really doesn't need to. I don't have a strong preference between "Wizard" and "Black Mage", but losing "Hell Knight" to "Netherseer" was nonsense - as was losing "Calculator" to "Arithmetician" and "Dark Knight" to "Fell Knight"
They were clearly going for A Song of Ice and Fire, which was before GoT was cool (or a thing). But I will agree that they did kind of overdo it but it seemed they learned their lesson and did it in reasonable amounts in Tactics Ogre. As for Dark Knight, that has something to do with adding a new job with that same name but why they can't be the same job is beyond me. I think that's my issue, the new jobs are one of those "here's a reward for doing a difficult task even though you beat 3/4 of the game already" situations.

Reactions: Shield Breaker

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
VI is overrated. This might be my most contentious FF opinion. Cast is really big, lots of people get lost in the shuffle. The characters you really care about are fewer than you think. World of Ruin is less exciting than the plot about the Espers getting out and terrorizing the world as vengeance for what Gestahl did. Feels weird.

I actually didn't like V much the first time I played it. Because I thought it was wise to max out a job before moving to a new one.
The secret is to get high enough to get some good ability and then transfer over, equipping it. And use the Phoenix Tower to max out Red Mage.
This likely played a role in it slipping under the radar too. "If you play it like a dumbass, it lets you play it like a dumbass."

Last edited:

UnKillFill

Blue skies, shining on me.
kiwifarms.net
Why does everyone always shit on FFT:A? Yeah, it's obviously not as good as the original FFT, and yeah the laws system was stupid AF... but that system was easy enough to avoid.. I actually liked the game myself.

Also, I never actually played FFT:A2, do any of you guys think it's better than the first one?

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
Why does everyone always shit on FFT:A? Yeah, it's obviously not as good as the original FFT, and yeah the laws system was stupid AF... but that system was easy enough to avoid.. I actually liked the game myself.

Also, I never actually played FFT:A2, do any of you guys think it's better than the first one?
I actually never could get into FFT, FFT:A is probably my second favorite game to FFVI.

A2 is fine. It's in all ways inferior to the first one, but it is in no way a bad game, it just feels more like an expansion to the first one than a new game. The new races have less jobs than they should.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
FFTA was OK, but FFT was my favorite Final Fantasy ever, so it was a bit disappointing in that regard. Besides the disappointment factor, though, the thing I really despised about both FFTA and FFTA2 was the "learn abilities from items like FF9" thing; I kept getting screwed out of the best abilities and couldn't stand it. I was never able to finish either game because of it. I'm not sure how many other people hate that system though. Also, the stories of both Tactics Advance games come in for a ton of criticism. People say that Marche was basically a villain protagonist and Luso being a goofy kid just dicking around in a fantasy world just wasn't interesting. It didn't bother me but I saw a lot of complaints about it.

FFVII Remake looks awesome so far. Too bad I don't own a PS4.

it's Aeris not Aerith. No one can make me say different.
Same. "Aerith" sounds weird, like a lisp.

She's living the gamer dream. Gets the objects of her affection through nothing but perseverance and obsessive co dependence.
You know, I always thought Cloud was the codependent one because his whole identity literally revolved around Tifa's life. And to lesser extent, Sephiroth's and Zack's.
It doesn't help the dude had mommy issues, as shown in those flashbacks in the OG... his mom flat-out states that he needs someone to take care of him. So all his relationships were bound to be of the codependent type.

They may change this in the Remake. Or not.

Edit to add:
Is 8 a good game?
It's your average FF, but people seem to either hate it or love it, no in between. I was equally annoyed and entertained by its insane plot. Try it if you have time to spare, but it's pretty 'meh' imho.

Last edited:
Reactions: haurchefant

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
You know, I always thought Cloud was the codependent one because his whole identity literally revolved around Tifa's life. And to lesser extent, Sephiroth's and Zack's.
It doesn't help the dude had mommy issues, as shown in those flashbacks in the OG... his mom flat-out states that he needs someone to take care of him. So all his relationships were bound to be of the codependent type.
It's more the other way around. Cloud's identity revolved around becoming a badass super soldier so he could be cool and exceptional. Tifa meanwhile was specifically pining after Cloud for years even though they'd only barely been friends when he was there. She also indulges his delusions to an ill advised extent presumably just to avoid conflict.

Tism the Return

your favorite 60 years old Mega Man boss
kiwifarms.net
FFTA was OK, but FFT was my favorite Final Fantasy ever, so it was a bit disappointing in that regard. Besides the disappointment factor, though, the thing I really despised about both FFTA and FFTA2 was the "learn abilities from items like FF9" thing; I kept getting screwed out of the best abilities and couldn't stand it. I was never able to finish either game because of it. I'm not sure how many other people hate that system though. Also, the stories of both Tactics Advance games come in for a ton of criticism. People say that Marche was basically a villain protagonist and Luso being a goofy kid just dicking around in a fantasy world just wasn't interesting. It didn't bother me but I saw a lot of complaints about it.
Marche essentially rescues his buddies from running away from their problems in a magical land because he's the only character that realizes hardcore escapism is dumb. That should tell you everything about the kind of audience that thinks Marche is a villain protagonist.
Luso is a less interesting Tidus.

Tags
None