The Final Fantasy Thread -

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
It's more the other way around. Cloud's identity revolved around becoming a badass super soldier so he could be cool and exceptional. Tifa meanwhile was specifically pining after Cloud for years even though they'd only barely been friends when he was there. She also indulges his delusions to an ill advised extent presumably just to avoid conflict.
She also gets kinda jelly of Aeris for getting Cloud's attention and getting saved by him. Which was her fantasy, not really Aeris' (though she definitely appreciated it).
IDK how people can call Cloud the "co-dependent one". It sounds like people placing too much emphasis on a line he said about himself as a kid and ignore his actual behavior as an adult. He obviously cares about her but is willing to walk out on what she asks of him. She certainly doesn't motivate him and his investment in the story except a little at the start.

Fixed that for you.
Straight from the OG, the video jumps to that exchange between the characters:

Yes, I'm anal about canon. You can give me colorful jigsaw stickers now.
He says he wanted to be noticed by everyone, just her in particular.
Fetish is right about Tifa though. With Cloud there doesn't seem to be another girl to fixate on as a kid, but from her perspective he was just a guy they never hung out with. The Remake will probably embellish this but it still remains that with Cloud his fixation on Tifa is a childhood thing. While he still cares as an adult it's in a more balanced, less obsessive, way. While with Tifa this is not so clear, in fact she seems to view Cloud as the last thing of her life in Nibelheim.

Another reason Tifa comes across as more codependent is she doesn't have a role in the story except for her past with Cloud. Meanwhile Cloud has other priorities throughout the story. You're also flat out wrong to say his identity revolves around Tifa's life, unless you mean specifically how his false persona was partially formed by her expectations and memories. Which he didn't choose, Jenova did. Saying he's just about Tifa is really a disservice to his character and the story overall. It makes his Fake Self a more well-rounded character than his True Self.

It's more the other way around. Cloud's identity revolved around becoming a badass super soldier so he could be cool and exceptional. Tifa meanwhile was specifically pining after Cloud for years even though they'd only barely been friends when he was there. She also indulges his delusions to an ill advised extent presumably just to avoid conflict.
Yea, if you hit on Tifa in Disc 1 she doesn't really respond, presumably because she's confused about what's up with Cloud.

Last edited:

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never thought that Tifa was serious about him when he left for SOLDIER. She was just interested in whether he'd fulfill his promise or not. By all indications he didn't, too, because she didn't learn that it was him that saved her in Nibelheim until later on. It was at the beginning of VII that she really started to become interested in him, and half of that was concern because he was completely batshit. He was also the only link she had back to Nibelheim, everyone else was dead.

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
I never thought that Tifa was serious about him when he left for SOLDIER. She was just interested in whether he'd fulfill his promise or not. By all indications he didn't, too, because she didn't learn that it was him that saved her in Nibelheim until later on. It was at the beginning of VII that she really started to become interested in him, and half of that was concern because he was completely batshit. He was also the only link she had back to Nibelheim, everyone else was dead.
Tifa says she would read the paper hoping Cloud would be mentioned, and waited to see if he came when she heard SOLDIER would be coming to help them. Their relationship has never really been well-defined here. It's like they wanted a childhood friend but also wanted to be different so nixed the childhood meaning anything. You're right about the Nibelheim connection though. She loses both places she calls home and it's barely explored in her character outside of that sadly.

I replayed FF7 on Switch like last month and let me put it this way. A lot of things made me think Tifa was a later addition to the cast. The above confusion being the biggest sign but there were others. Namely how she's got a lot of screentime, but mostly in backstory, and her big subplot is mostly about Cloud and tying up the romantic subplot which seemed much more focused on Aeris before then. Along with how she had a lot of other character's "things", such as wanting revenge on Shinra for destroying her town like Barrett does.
It turned out this was the case. She was originally going to have the same kind of role as Jessie. A female, unplayable, AVALANCHE member. So when they added her she gets subordinated to a lot of other people's stories even if it doesn't quite do the trick for her own story.

They made her playable because they wanted a female character to accompany the hero when Aeris died, which I think says it all about her role in the story.

Last edited:

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
Wasn't Johnny from Nibelheim too?
no

And idk what people disagree with in my post. It's just a fact Tifa was a relatively late addition to the playable cast, and is there to take over heroine duties after Aeris bites it.

"In early drafts of Final Fantasy VII, Tifa was to be a background character. Her role in AVALANCHE was to add support behind the scenes, and to cheer everyone up after missions, as well as having a particular fondness for Cloud. She was supposed to have a large scar on her back caused by Cloud, and partial amnesia from the incident when she had received it.[8] A scene intended to imply herself and Cloud having sex was proposed by Masato Kato, one of the event planners, but it was replaced with a toned down version by Kitase in which a risqué line is followed by a fade to black. In an interview Nojima stated that none of the staff thought the scene would become such an issue at the time. "

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm playing through FFT War of the Lions at the moment because I've tried multiple times and never actually beat it, and this just happened.
View attachment 1200542
Wiegraf Based and Redpilled.
I always loved Weigraf's character- he was on the losing side of a political dispute but honestly seemed to be one of the only characters in the entire game trying to build a better world for the people. Delita started off that way but gets corrupted real quick.

I hope you enjoy the rest of it, FFT is a really terrific game.

UnKillFill

That doesn't work for me, brother.
kiwifarms.net
I always loved Weigraf's character- he was on the losing side of a political dispute but honestly seemed to be one of the only characters in the entire game trying to build a better world for the people. Delita started off that way but gets corrupted real quick.

I hope you enjoy the rest of it, FFT is a really terrific game.
I have tried many times over the years, on no less than 4 different platforms, to beat final Fantasy Tactics (Original PS1, PSP, PC emulation, and now Android Emulation while still doing PC emulation (PPSSPP supports using the same save states between the two, which I wish more emulators would do!) The story was never what stopped me from playing- I've loved what I've seen of it, and am still excited to see more. I just always overthink my team and spend way too long grinding in the early game (Which I know you aren't supposed to do, but I can't help it >_<)

Even in this playthrough, I just got to Chapter 2 and my entire party is all in the mid 20 level range (My Ramza is at level 29), and I just accepted in a bunch of losers who are all lvl 8-10, mostly just because I wanted to steal their gear.

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have tried many times over the years, on no less than 4 different platforms, to beat final Fantasy Tactics (Original PS1, PSP, PC emulation, and now Android Emulation while still doing PC emulation (PPSSPP supports using the same save states between the two, which I wish more emulators would do!) The story was never what stopped me from playing- I've loved what I've seen of it, and am still excited to see more. I just always overthink my team and spend way too long grinding in the early game (Which I know you aren't supposed to do, but I can't help it >_<)

Even in this playthrough, I just got to Chapter 2 and my entire party is all in the mid 20 level range (My Ramza is at level 29), and I just accepted in a bunch of losers who are all lvl 8-10, mostly just because I wanted to steal their gear.
I know what you mean. I like to grind for jobs/abilities but I hate ending up overleveled. I wish they would add a way to turn XP gain off.

Reactions: UnKillFill

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net

Save in a different save slot BEFORE heading to Riovanes Castle. You'll thank me later.

ReeferRoach

Eat Gumbo
kiwifarms.net
Final Fantasy V is one of my favorite rpgs of all time. It got me into the series and honestly i think it's incredible under appreciated being after 4 and before 6. Two of the most popular games in the series. But the job system, cast and bosses makes it truly one of the most unique titles in the series. I URGE you guys to play it again, as it's relatively short (only taking around 30 hours to beat). Also i'm near the end of Final Fantasy tactics advanced, should I play A2 or the Final Fantasy Tactics next?

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
Final Fantasy V is one of my favorite rpgs of all time. It got me into the series and honestly i think it's incredible under appreciated being after 4 and before 6. Two of the most popular games in the series. But the job system, cast and bosses makes it truly one of the most unique titles in the series. I URGE you guys to play it again, as it's relatively short (only taking around 30 hours to beat). Also i'm near the end of Final Fantasy tactics advanced, should I play A2 or the Final Fantasy Tactics next?
5 doesn't get praise because it wasn't on the US SNES so there's no nostalgia boner for it.

It suffers the same problem as all the Dragon Quest games do. The series was absent on the SNES and most were too young to play an RPG on the NES. Not only that but Dragon Quest 4 was hard to get a hold of.

So Final Fantasy 4 and 6 get praise because it was what was there.

ReeferRoach

Eat Gumbo
kiwifarms.net
5 doesn't get praise because it wasn't on the US SNES so there's no nostalgia boner for it.

It suffers the same problem as all the Dragon Quest games do. The series was absent on the SNES and most were too young to play an RPG on the NES. Not only that but Dragon Quest 4 was hard to get a hold of.

So Final Fantasy 4 and 6 get praise because it was what was there.
All we get are shitty mobile ports and an alright GBA port with more content., but with the brassy soundfont that kinda ruins the orchestral sound the games music originally goes for. Though I personally don't mind it.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
All we get are shitty mobile ports and an alright GBA port with more content., but with the brassy soundfont that kinda ruins the orchestral sound the games music originally goes for. Though I personally don't mind it.
All of Square's 2d ports have been lazy outside of the initial PS1 ports of the Original Final Fantasy games.

Even the Dragon Quest Trilogy port for the Switch left a lot to be desired. Mana Collection and Trials of Mana is probably the only ones recently that look like effort went into it.

ReeferRoach

Eat Gumbo
kiwifarms.net
All of Square's 2d ports have been lazy outside of the initial PS1 ports of the Original Final Fantasy games.
This has been an issue for nearly 20 years, and they don't plan to stop making shoddy ports. It's honestly sad that classic Enix and square (mainly when they were separate) games are gonna either be lost to time or given trash ports. Still waiting on that Mischief makers port...

Overcast

#NotPuppets
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've only ever experienced V through HCBailly's playthrough of it, but I remember thoroughly enjoying watching it. It was probably one of my first exposures to Final Fantasy before I actually played any of the games.
This has been an issue for nearly 20 years, and they don't plan to stop making shoddy ports. It's honestly sad that classic Enix and square (mainly when they were separate) games are gonna either be lost to time or given trash ports. Still waiting on that Mischief makers port...
Thank god for emulation.

I always loved Weigraf's character- he was on the losing side of a political dispute but honestly seemed to be one of the only characters in the entire game trying to build a better world for the people. Delita started off that way but gets corrupted real quick
Also Weigraf is legit surrounded by chicks in every fight he appears in as a human
on no less than 4 different platforms,
PSP version is the best because it lets you kill Algus again.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
And this game's supposed to have been in development since, what, 2014? And all we get is an expansion of the first 4 hours of the original game?

What truly concerns me is when this game is going to be done, with all the parts actually released. It took them like 6 fucking years to finish what's basically the prologue of the original game. At this rate, they'll be done with the game by 2050.
Remember folks, it took 10 years (yes 10, not 3 according to the pos disingenuous shills/apologist) to make FF15 and look how that went.

For me personally, I'm still concerned about people's overall interest for the other parts of this remake since they're by and large going to probably experience all of the series gameplay mechanics within the 1st and 2nd parts or essentially up to the original disk 1 if not before. In other words, what, other than story additions/changes ,would there be to keep people's interest going to buy the other parts? This I think is going to be this series biggest problem. I certainly don't think we'll see the same diminishing returns like we did with FF13, FF13 - 2 and FF13 - 3, but I do think you'll still see some nonetheless.

You know, kefka destroying the world by being an exceptional individual is bad and all but...
Whats his tax policy?
You sob...

Last edited:
  • Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

Sable

DANGEROUSLY WAITING FOR MORE 2HUS
kiwifarms.net
I know what you mean. I like to grind for jobs/abilities but I hate ending up overleveled. I wish they would add a way to turn XP gain off.
Oh, overlevelling early on is a death sentence.

You'll smash through story missions, but random encounters scale from your level. This isn't as much of a problem with human encounters, but monsters get powerful quite quickly, and you won't have the equipment to deal with it.

• Agree
Reactions: UnKillFill
Tags
None