The Final Fantasy Thread -

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There is an ability to lose an XP level; this is popular to manipulate your stats by leveling up in specific late-game classes after you've unlocked them via JP. You need to get a Mind Flayer monster on your team but that's not too hard. If you do that, make sure you level down as a stats-shit class like bard or chemist.

• Informative
Reactions: UnKillFill

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There is an ability to lose an XP level; this is popular to manipulate your stats by leveling up in specific late-game classes after you've unlocked them via JP. You need to get a Mind Flayer monster on your team but that's not too hard. If you do that, make sure you level down as a stats-shit class like bard or chemist.
I've tried it, it works but is incredibly tedious. I'd rather just not get the levels in the first place, even if the process of losing them will actually make me stronger in the long run.

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've tried it, it works but is incredibly tedious. I'd rather just not get the levels in the first place, even if the process of losing them will actually make me stronger in the long run.
agreed. FFT isn't a game that necessitates or even really benefits from minmaxing like FFX did. that said, deleveling and redoing your first 20 levels isn't too bad if you really wanted it.

i usually just took a bunch of females, turned them into ninjas with concentration (from archer) and +3 movement (from dancer) and then you end up super fast and able to throw unmissable attacks from halfway across pretty much every map. the game is fun, but it's not very hard.

Oh, overlevelling early on is a death sentence.

You'll smash through story missions, but random encounters scale from your level. This isn't as much of a problem with human encounters, but monsters get powerful quite quickly, and you won't have the equipment to deal with it.
Not all of the encounters scale with level.

Some show up at level 70-90 no matter what level you are..and have the hardest fucking mobs in the game. (Save before moving..do it every time lest you get raped by Hydras)

Reactions: UnKillFill

CarlKingofDucks

kiwifarms.net
Just started on the new ffbe which is like a mix of fft and alch code

Its not too bad. Shouls be a fun little mobile game I can sink some time into. Then again im only 2 hours in. Who knows how bad the rng is lol.

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
Remember folks, it took 10 years (yes 10, not 3 according to the pos disingenuous shills/apologist) to make FF15 and look how that went.

For me personally, I'm still concerned about people's overall interest for the other parts of this remake since they're by and large going to probably experience all of the series gameplay mechanics within the 1st and 2nd parts or essentially up to the original disk 1 if not before. In other words, what, other than story additions/changes ,would there be to keep people's interest going to buy the other parts? This I think is going to be this series biggest problem. I certainly don't think we'll see the same diminishing returns like we did with FF13, FF13 - 2 and FF13 - 3, but I do think you'll still see some nonetheless.

You sob...
They're already blowing their load on certain storybeats, probably because fans expect to be serviced, which leaves little left for the next parts (except repetition I guess). Maybe this opening shot is just fanservicey and about proving they can deliver and the following installments will be more focused on what's important for the story in that moment. But I dunno...

Some of them make sense, at least from my perspective peering at leaks darkly, to make this more climactic and set-up important story elements more decisively. Like fighting Jenova here instead of randomly on the boat. But others just feel inorganic in their embellishment and suggest either a lack of understanding of their old material or a lack of confidence in new material. Only there to mollify fans.

• Agree
Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
I never thought that Tifa was serious about him when he left for SOLDIER. She was just interested in whether he'd fulfill his promise or not. By all indications he didn't, too, because she didn't learn that it was him that saved her in Nibelheim until later on. It was at the beginning of VII that she really started to become interested in him, and half of that was concern because he was completely batshit. He was also the only link she had back to Nibelheim, everyone else was dead.
She literally cries when he doesn't show up (to her knowledge) in Nibelheim when Sephiroth and co arrive.

Tifa says she would read the paper hoping Cloud would be mentioned, and waited to see if he came when she heard SOLDIER would be coming to help them. Their relationship has never really been well-defined here. It's like they wanted a childhood friend but also wanted to be different so nixed the childhood meaning anything. You're right about the Nibelheim connection though. She loses both places she calls home and it's barely explored in her character outside of that sadly.

I replayed FF7 on Switch like last month and let me put it this way. A lot of things made me think Tifa was a later addition to the cast. The above confusion being the biggest sign but there were others. Namely how she's got a lot of screentime, but mostly in backstory, and her big subplot is mostly about Cloud and tying up the romantic subplot which seemed much more focused on Aeris before then. Along with how she had a lot of other character's "things", such as wanting revenge on Shinra for destroying her town like Barrett does.
It turned out this was the case. She was originally going to have the same kind of role as Jessie. A female, unplayable, AVALANCHE member. So when they added her she gets subordinated to a lot of other people's stories even if it doesn't quite do the trick for her own story.

They made her playable because they wanted a female character to accompany the hero when Aeris died, which I think says it all about her role in the story.
She's pretty instrumental to Cloud's whole psychosis. Plot doesn't work nearly so well without her.

Yes, she mostly exists to be a foil for Aeris and to explore Cloud's fractured backstory. But what's wrong with that?

Last edited:

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All of Square's 2d ports have been lazy outside of the initial PS1 ports of the Original Final Fantasy games.
The GBA ports were all pretty solid (they did get a bit lazy by 6, bit it was still fine)
5 and especially 6 on PS1 were borderline unplayable with loading before every single random encounter.

Chiri

Steeeeee-rike!
kiwifarms.net
The GBA ports were all pretty solid (they did get a bit lazy by 6, bit it was still fine)
5 and especially 6 on PS1 were borderline unplayable with loading before every single random encounter.
It cannot be understated how awful porting SNES games to PSX was. SNES games, especially RPGs, are very modular since the system didn't have a whole lot of RAM to work with. For FF5 and 6 this means having to do a bunch of loading not only for random encounters or entering a new map but also opening up the menu. This isn't an issue on SNES where load times are very short but it's the perfect storm on PSX. I swear it took like 5-10 seconds to open and close the menu. The final dungeon of 6 was a nightmare to play with all the party switching that you had to do.

UnKillFill

How come he don't want me man?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I forgot to mention, I recently played FF5A again with a mod that turned it from one of the more boring FF's to one of my favorites.

Basically it let's you remap all abilities, even "Fight" and "Item" to whatever you want them to be. Also, when you master a job, you automatically get all the passive abilities even if you change jobs. Also it gives you the GBA exclusive jobs early enough to actually use them.

The game does become amusingly easy if you go in trying to cheese it, but you could also use it to make the game more challenging if that's your thing. Either way, it added a lot of variety to the game and made it a lot more fun for me.

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
She literally cries when he doesn't show up (to her knowledge) in Nibelheim when Sephiroth and co arrive.

She's pretty instrumental to Cloud's whole psychosis. Plot doesn't work nearly so well without her.

Yes, she mostly exists to be a foil for Aeris and to explore Cloud's fractured backstory. But what's wrong with that?
You could do Cloud's memories without her tbh, it would just suck. Cloud could have the same psychosis but it would be less relevant to the player. Her instrumentality to his psychosis was passive anyway. He liked her and wanted to impress her, her feelings back are not well explained until they're adults where it comes across like her wanting a Chad. But her caring for him when he's a mental invalid provides good character growth on this so she's properly forgiven.
My point was more that the twist of them not being friends did not benefit her character much. It was there to hammer home Cloud's feelings of inadequacy. She exists to have an established relationship to Cloud through which the audience can be more personally invested in his issues. And not only is she weird and distant as an adult, which makes sense and provides fun foreshafowing, they didn't even have much of a past together.
You said she comes across as borderline codependent so you must agree something is a little out of place. I think it's the lack of content between them before and during much of the game.

As for what's wrong with this...nothing. I think it's a victim of time constraints and very likely to be handled differently in the Remake. It's fine in the Original because she is a solid supporting character and her role as the last waifu standing didn't need a lot of explanation. You could imagine how things went so it didn't need to be fleshed out, and in fact fleshing it out too much would have taken oxygen away from Aeris, who is more important to the overall game. If I had a complaint I guess my issue is people forget the supporting part of that and the Compilation never remedied this kind of feckless dynamic.

Last edited:

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
You said she comes across as borderline codependent so you must agree something is a little out of place.
I was under the impression it was on purpose and it makes her character more interesting. This game was being developed when Eva got huge so their media started having a thing for very mentally ill protagonists. If they didn't intend for her to come across as unhealthy then yeah, it's a problem. But I like my version better.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Berrakh

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
I was under the impression it was on purpose and it makes her character more interesting. This game was being developed when Eva got huge so their media started having a thing for very mentally ill protagonists. If they didn't intend for her to come across as unhealthy then yeah, it's a problem. But I like my version better.
Maybe they did. There is a sense that they're finally gonna try and make something happen. Either way it's definitely not a typical love story of true love conquering all like many imply it is. And I think I just meant it's a problem for the typical conception of the girl, that she's a "role model", so our position are not far apart.
It does fit really. The character who is the most blameless for anything bad in the world dies. That's a statement.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Maybe they did. There is a sense that they're finally gonna try and make something happen. Either way it's definitely not a typical love story of true love conquering all like many imply it is. And I think I just meant it's a problem for the typical conception of the girl, that she's a "role model", so our position are not far apart.
It does fit really. The character who is the most blameless for anything bad in the world dies. That's a statement.
I don't see why a character should have to be a role model in any case, but if there is one there it's Aeris for sure. Kids, don't emulate Cloud. He's a psycho.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Cloud's VA is good. Tifa's is good. Haven't seen enough Aerith to say. Barret is meh. Sephiroth is bad, and there's way too much of him. Also Tifa's mo cap actor over acts like crazy.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
One of the Achievements in the 7 remaster is to woo Jesse.

Also for the minigames, invest in an autofire controller.

I think I'm going to create a fresh PSN account just for RPGs. They just issued a load of server closures for a few online games and I've got a few that will never be completed. So IRC all DLC is shared between the accounts on the system so my main account will just be where the DLC codes go to and the new account will just be for 100%ing games. I'd love to be able to transfer licences but that doesn't seem to be something that's possible.

Last edited:

Berrakh

kiwifarms.net
I don't see why a character should have to be a role model in any case, but if there is one there it's Aeris for sure. Kids, don't emulate Cloud. He's a psycho.
Part of being a good character is not being exactly what the audience wants so you're correct. A lot of people do treat her like a role model because she's a girl who can punch things.

One of the Achievements in the 7 remaster is to woo Jesse.

Also for the minigames, invest in an autofire controller.

I think I'm going to create a fresh PSN account just for RPGs. They just issued a load of server closures for a few online games and I've got a few that will never be completed. So IRC all DLC is shared between the accounts on the system so my main account will just be where the DLC codes go to and the new account will just be for 100%ing games. I'd love to be able to transfer licences but that doesn't seem to be something that's possible.
I've seen a lot of streams. Lot of surprising stuff to say the least.

Cloud's VA is good. Tifa's is good. Haven't seen enough Aerith to say. Barret is meh. Sephiroth is bad, and there's way too much of him. Also Tifa's mo cap actor over acts like crazy.
Aerith's VA is good. Cloud is kind of too one-note grump for me. He had a cocky side which feels underwhelming here. Without it he feels silly and poorly motivated.

Last edited:

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
A lot of people do treat her like a role model because she's a girl who can punch things.
There's also that scene where she threatens to rip Don Corneo's balls off.

Honestly, that's one of the most underrated aspects of Aerith's character. She's a sweet girl but she's not above getting her hands dirty or browbeating other people into doing ridiculous things (she is the one who convinces Cloud to crossdress). Every interpretation of her after the original portrays her as one-dimensionally "pure" when that's not really what she was in the first place.

Tags
None