The Final Fantasy Thread -

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
Oh my god the ending spoilers. This is great. What a clusterfuck. The remake was shaping up to be just kind of ok. But if I had to choose between kind of ok and a complete disaster, I'm gonna choose a complete disaster. Sure, a flawless masterpiece would be better but the memes are gonna be great. This is some Last Jedi tier shit. The fanbase is exploding.
...how many Last Jedi moments are we going to have? SMFH.

Shield Breaker

^_^
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
From NeoGAF, so take it as you will

• The events of VII and AC have already happened in another timeline
  • The ghost things are Whispers of Fate that try to keep the characters in line with the original game
  • Biggs and Wedge live. Jessie still dies.
  • After the highway chase Cloud and co. fight the Whispers of Fate and beat them, making it so they're no longer bound by the original FFVII's storyline.
  • During the battle the party is shown the clip of an old Nanaki with his cubs running towards a destroyed Midgar, Red XIII guesses it's a vision of the future that awaits them if they fail.
  • Sephiroth shows up after beating them. Fight is basically AC-tier, Sephiroth gets a black wing mid-fight.
  • While this happens we flashback to Zack surviving his last stand in an alternate timeline.
  • After beating Sephiroth he teleports Cloud to the "edge of creation" and asks for his help in "defying destiny... together".
  • He refuses and fight similar to their final omnislash duel ensues.
  • The party escapes Midgar.
  • We continue Zack's scene with him walking to Midgar with a comatose Cloud holding on to him.
  • Remake Aeris and Alt! Zack sense each other.
  • fade to black

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
What the hell is going on anyway? I see people having meltdowns over FF7:R being different somehow in unexpected ways? Sephiroth is meta-aware?
Starting from the top floor of the Shinra building the game turns fully into Advent Children mixed with Dissidia with a Sephiroth possibly from the future trying to alter the timeline but being thwarted by the time ghosts. The last boss in the game is a big time ghost that tries to keep everything the same. But the party kills it so now Zack can be alive and Aeris may not die and Tifa is going to have sex with Sora from Kingdom hearts and I don't even know man, it's crazy.

• The ghost things are Whispers of Fate that try to keep the characters in line with the original game
  • After the highway chase Cloud and co. fight the Whispers of Fate and beat them, making it so they're no longer bound by the original FFVII's storyline.
  • During the battle the party is shown the clip of an old Nanaki with his cubs running towards a destroyed Midgar, Red XIII guesses it's a vision of the future that awaits them if they fail.
  • Sephiroth shows up after beating them. Fight is basically AC-tier, Sephiroth gets a black wing mid-fight.
  • While this happens we flashback to Zack surviving his last stand in an alternate timeline.
  • After beating Sephiroth he teleports Cloud to the "edge of creation" and asks for his help in "defying destiny... together".
  • We continue Zack's scene with him walking to Midgar with a comatose Cloud holding on to him.
  • fade to black
There's clips uploaded to 4chan. it's all real.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net

• fade to black

• Feels
Reactions: Shield Breaker

Chiri

Steeeeee-rike!
kiwifarms.net
Oh my god the ending spoilers. This is great. What a clusterfuck. The remake was shaping up to be just kind of ok. But if I had to choose between kind of ok and a complete disaster, I'm gonna choose a complete disaster. Sure, a flawless masterpiece would be better but the memes are gonna be great. This is some Last Jedi tier shit. The fanbase is exploding.
Agree, but I'm still trying to figure out how I feel about it. It's so fucking far from what I had even expected I'm still processing what it is. I'm just like "what?"
I can't fucking believe they pulled a Rebuild on Final Fantasy VII. All bets as to how the rest of this will play off are completely off the table now. I want off Mr. Nomura's wild ride.

Edit: My current mindset is that of Mike Stoklasa watching Star Trek: Picard, that's a more clear way of putting it.

• Feels
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
It's nowhere near as bad as last Jedi. This is shit that's from End of Evangelion/Rebuild.

Having the remake be a kind of a sequel is something that Evangelion did first.

Star Wars was bad due to corporate meddling and general incompetence, this is all very much intentional and done by Nomura. The Gameplay is all pretty much solid. The only thing I'm afraid of is that they pull a Star Ocean and have the ending be "IT WAS A GAME ALL ALONG".

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
I mean I kind of expected it to be a fuck up when it was first announced, just not in this particular bizarre way.

Star Wars was bad due to corporate meddling and general incompetence, this is all very much intentional and done by Nomura.
In that his incompetence is entirely his own, I agree.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I mean I kind of expected it to be a fuck up when it was first announced, just not in this particular bizarre way.

In that his incompetence is entirely his own, I agree.
Nomura wants to be viewed as deep and intellectual, this is why everything as a story always goes off the rails and into psycho babble.

Meanwhile Yoko Taro knows that wanting to be deep is a fools errand and that you should just be having fun while looking at tits and ass.

The gameplay in 7's Remake is solid though, and the environments and level designs are competent and well done, that alone is enough to support the game and still keep it into the Good category.

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Nomura wants to be viewed as deep and intellectual, this is why everything as a story always goes off the rails and into psycho babble.

Meanwhile Yoko Taro knows that wanting to be deep is a fools errand and that you should just be having fun while looking at tits and ass.
And yet somehow in not caring about being deep Yoko Taro occasionally achieves it, while in desperately striving to be deep Nomura misses the mark every time. It's like a buddhist koan. It rhymes.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
And yet somehow in not caring about being deep Yoko Taro occasionally achieves it, while in desperately striving to be deep Nomura misses the mark every time. It's like a buddhist koan. It rhymes.
Nomura fails at being deep because his starting point is always overly complex. If you want depth you need simplicity. Nomura views simplicity as a bad thing.

However as a far as bad Final Fantasies, 7 remake doesn't come close. Remember Lightning Returns did all of this shit before so this isn't new to the series. The two previous 13 games were generally bad and 7 makes none of the mistakes that those games made. The Remake also isn't half finished and rushed like 15 was either. I can see why they just decided to do the first 20% of the game since now we know they're allowing multiple paths. The rest of the series is probably going to be mass Effect level of player decision making.

Reactions: I Love Beef

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
I never played Lightning returns. My last FF was XII. I'm an oldfag that didn't like the direction they took the series and bailed ages ago. I just was drawn in by the remake.

I can see why they just decided to do the first 20% of the game since now we know they're allowing multiple paths. The rest of the series is probably going to be mass Effect level of player decision making.
I can't tell if you're being ironic here or not.

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
I can't tell if you're being ironic here or not.
There's enough content in it to make a full game. This is the second RPG in this generation to be surprisingly longer than expected(the first was the Xenoblade Prequel which seemed to be 5 hours and advertised as a DLC but lasted around 50 hours and was a full on separate game that came with seperate DLC for Xenoblade 2).

It doesn't seem to be loaded with busywork or grinding either. Max level is 50 and that doesn't take herculean efforts to reach.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Your Weird Fetish

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly this sounds kind of interesting. Better than just rehashing the old because it would have inevitably been worse, and if the gameplay is solid then it'll probably be pretty fun. The original game is always there if you have the remake, and maybe there's a timeline that you follow at some point that follows the original quite exactly.

Bizarre is nearly always better than boring. Nomura does suck, tho.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net

• fade to black
I've been feeling conflicted about the remake but this...holy shit this is insane. I'm still not sure how to process it.

It's basically rewriting the original game while also making sure the original already "happened" so as not to piss off die-hard fans. I'm just baffled. It's like, people have waited over a decade for anything involving a remake, and we're getting this pseudo-sequel/total rewrite of the original. Talk about false advertising, but it's not like this wasn't to be expected either; I remember hearing months ago about the Whispers of Fate and how things could turn out differently. But of course nobody paid attention to it because they were concerned about where part 1 was gonna end.

The original was already a thematically dense game even without the alternate timeline and time travel shit. I have no idea where they're gonna go with this.

Shield Breaker

^_^
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been feeling conflicted about the remake but this...holy shit this is insane. I'm still not sure how to process it.

It's basically rewriting the original game while also making sure the original already "happened" so as not to piss off die-hard fans. I'm just baffled. It's like, people have waited over a decade for anything involving a remake, and we're getting this pseudo-sequel/total rewrite of the original. Talk about false advertising, but it's not like this wasn't to be expected either; I remember hearing months ago about the Whispers of Fate and how things could turn out differently. But of course nobody paid attention to it because they were concerned about where part 1 was gonna end.

The original was already a thematically dense game even without the alternate timeline and time travel shit. I have no idea where they're gonna go with this.
I think it could be interesting, but this is the KH dude, so I have little hope it will turn out well.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Oww, my byaaack
kiwifarms.net
I think it could be interesting, but this is the KH dude, so I have little hope it will turn out well.
That's the other thing. If this were being done by the people who worked on the original, then it might have potential since they're basically twisting their own creation into something new, but this is being done by the same man whose biggest accomplishment is making the most hideously convoluted story ever made for a children's game.

All I can do now is await the inevitable shitstorm that's going to arise out of this.

Tags
None