Science The first-ever photo of a black hole released today - get hyped

I get confirming black hole theory is big, but imo reading about the simulated "planet size" radio telescope technology they devised to take the photo is cooler than the photo. they had radios around the globe recording and then flying them hard drives full of data, guys in the antarctic that were frozen in half the year. then to be able to read that shit and figure out what is instrument error? just a wild logistical and technical challenge.

Reactions: Pocket Dragoon

Shadfan666xxx000

kiwifarms.net
It shows matter accelerated to half the speed of light by nothing more than falling towards a massive object. How can that not be spectacular?

The shadow we see is not the same kind of shadow any object would create. It's the area of spacetime that is curved so hard, light can't pass through towards us. It's not so much blocked as it is either twisted away or outright consumed by a gigantic gravity pull.
That's really amazing to astrophysicists and the engineers who might make use of it somehow in the next few decades but everyone else doesn't share that interest. It's like if you went up to a normie and started talking about Gundams. They might appreciate that their is significance or may understand the implications but even if they do it's not their field or their hobby. Otherwise, they already would have gotten the degrees and wouldn't need the hype.

And here comes the politicization.

What a soapboxing asshole.
Black holes have been utterly necessary for our view of physics to be correct for quite a while. We know there's shitloads of gravity in places we can't see the source of.

Global warming caused by humans isn't necessary to any of our science knowledge. If it turned out global warming were completely false, we wouldn't need to completely rethink our approach to astrophysics. If it turned out black holes were completely false, physicists would have a LOT of work ahead of them to create a decent model of the universe.

Not to derail the 500th thread with my global warming sperging, but the comparison doesn't work like he think it does. We are seeing a thing with our eyes, that tends to be pretty fucking convincing.

Reactions: Unog

ZeCommissar

Cutest commissar this side of the segmentum
kiwifarms.net
TBH when i'm a old man that has lived out the majority of my life and someone was like "hey we want to send a human to a black hole because reasons." I would definitely go. When it kills me what do I have to lose? Being the first person to go into a black hole sounds metal as fuck,

Reactions: Tahoma

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net
TBH when i'm a old man that has lived out the majority of my life and someone was like "hey we want to send a human to a black hole because reasons." I would definitely go. When it kills me what do I have to lose? Being the first person to go into a black hole sounds metal as fuck,
If there's an afterlife, the intense gravity might actually prevent your soul from getting away, keeping you from reincarnating. Maybe?

Eh, you'll just die from being blasted with all the radiation long before you're close enough to experience the effects of a huge gravity gradient across your body. That part would probably be weird, but also probably too fast to really notice how weird it was.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino