Science The first-ever photo of a black hole released today - get hyped

Your Weird Fetish

Intersectional fetishist
kiwifarms.net
Ah, so glowy thing with hole in it. But how can it be called an image if it was composited from hundreds of telescopes? Is this actually what it "looks like" or is this just a visualization of data?
That's all any image is. But if you mean "is this what it would look like to your naked eye", then no, it's not. Because you can't see this with the human eye.

While I think this is a fantastic step forward for science, and a pretty neat image, given the amount of hype around this, I wholly think this is underwhelming and unspectacular.

The problem with hyping science to dumb people like me is that the end product is always - always - fucking lame. This looks like something I could see if I was shitfaced at dunkin donuts at 2am.

Important image? Yes. Impressive? Only to those that are interested. Spectacular? No, absolutely not. Science is terrible at marketing.
When science gets good at marketing you get lobotomies, dick chops, eugenics counselors at state fairs, and carbon credits. It's good that it's usually bad at marketing.

Last edited:

Unog

You're a nog.
kiwifarms.net
Catching up on the thread, holy shit do I feel bad for Katie Bouman. That's got to be unbelievably shitty to be thrown forward by some assholes with more concern for their political agenda than her personal reputation.

Imagine hating women and those damn feminazis so much that you think a gigantic scientific achievement was faked because a woman was attached to it.
You do realize that he's like 3/4 shitposting whenever he makes statements right? Like I know Poe's Law gets us all at one time or another, but it should be pretty obvious in that idiot's case.

Reactions: Marvin
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino