The food that can feed, and maybe save, the planet: Bugs - By Sandee LaMotte, CNN

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
As for that big-ass feral hog you can always hunt ‘em with pit traps full of punji sticks.
If we're going to eat anything unusual for the environment's sake we should probably develop a taste for invasive species and shit like feral hogs that are a constant nuisance and ecologically destructive. I've heard those nasty snakehead fish are actually delicious for instance.

Keystone

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah... I’m not gonna stop eatin’ pork, beef, and chicken because some brainwashed leftie fuck says I should for environmental purposes.

Feom what I’ve read part of the reason why carp haven’t been commercially fished is due to the difficulty of mechanically removing the regular pin bones along with the Y-shaped bones found in carp without damaging the structure and shape of the meat. Water quality is also an issue, you DON’T want a carp that’s been swimming in a pond or river that’s been used as a dumping ground.

As for that big-ass feral hog you can always hunt ‘em with pit traps full of punji sticks.
Fuck punji sticks, you can go after them with a helicopter. There is next to no limitation or rules on how you can hunt/kill feral hogs. Things that would land you in jail if you tried it on any other game will be met with a "good luck and have fun" when it comes to hogs.

Antique Rice

kiwifarms.net
If you want to eat bugs, fine, I won't try to convince you it's a bad idea. But saying that there's a maximum acceptable level of contaminants for all the food I consume does not follow with, "therefore you should eat 100% contaminants." That is such a baffling argument and I can't assume it's coming from a good faith perspective, rather one that wants to be right at any cost.

Dysnomia

Absolutely AFABulous
kiwifarms.net
This is just another case of ignoring big corporations and telling
us we need to use paper straws and reusable bags to save the Earth when none of that is gonna make a big dent until China and India stop dumping pollutants everywhere.

Well, sorry to break this to you, but if you eat chocolate, pizza and spaghetti, you are already eating insects -- and worse.
What a snotty article. Just look:
Brace yourselves, America: Many of your favorite foods may contain bits and pieces of creatures that you probably didn't know were there.

How about some rodent dung in your coffee? Maggots in your pizza sauce? Mold in the jelly on your toast?

Oh, and so sorry, chocolate lovers. That dark, delicious bar you devoured might contain 30 or more insect parts and a sprinkling of rodent hair.
You know, I think most people are aware that there are going to be some contaminants in their foods and this is unavoidable. All I am getting from this is "LOL there are insect parts in your food already so let's all eat bugs!" :roll:

Maybe this article would be more readable if every paragraph wasn't devoted to telling people how stupid they are for consuming foods with unavoidable bug parts. Hey, it also says rodent hairs. So should we start eating mice too? Maybe the cat is on to something.

Many countries and traditions have known this for decades, even centuries. According to a 2013 report by the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO), at least 2 billion people worldwide eat bugs every day.
Many countries. As in not America. Why do we have to do things because POC cultures do them? We can't go to Syria and say "eat this delicious pork". That would be wrong. But if some third world toilet is forced to subsist on bugs we must gush over how wise their dietary choices are and adopt them too. Give me a break. I am so sick of this.

Besides, I wouldn't want to culturally appropriate.:biggrin:

If you want to eat bugs, fine, I won't try to convince you it's a bad idea. But saying that there's a maximum acceptable level of contaminants for all the food I consume does not follow with, "therefore you should eat 100% contaminants." That is such a baffling argument and I can't assume it's coming from a good faith perspective, rather one that wants to be right at any cost.
It's so asinine. Yet we are supposed to follow this "logic" because cow farts. Yeah. Tell China to adopt safer industrial practices.

LordofTendons

OW MAI LAIG
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This article ignores issues it itself raises.

"While you may feed an animal for six weeks to ready it for market, during that same period you (could) have multiple generations of insects," Tomberlin said. "Add that to the fact that you can raise them in such little space, on so little feed, and you've got three ways in which insects are superior food products than livestock."

Is the bugs energy conversion rate really that great if they die so quickly? Not even lizards eat dead bugs. I don't see why you should be expecting humans to.
Wait-- why aren't they pushing us to eat the lizards?

Android raptor

50% android, 50% raptor, 100% autistic
kiwifarms.net
I've had dried, seasoned mealworms and crickets. They aren't bad at all, and are certainly a healthier snack than chips.

I wouldn't eat roaches because I keep them as pets, but many people breed dubia and other types of non-pest roaches as food for pets and I'm sure they wouldn't be harmful for humans to eat as long as you aren't allergic or anything.

Male Idiot

Loli Hitler
kiwifarms.net
As indeed!

Proceeding your transformation into a cake baking fetish setpiece giving by the powers of the neo US comietution, we will seize your precious fire arms, ensuring your impotency in a mocking array, then you will have no choice, but to stare in horror at the realization of the aglo white race damnation as we, utilizing the powers of the media and even more nefariously, the academia, will force all the fair raced children to become sodomites mutilating their own genitalia under the guise of moral social credit superiority, all in an ironic twist of their own accord, and when you think the unthinkable horrors of libertardismo can not get worse, you'll find out 90% of American infants are getting brutally murdered at the free abortion clinics all across the states and cities. for everyone regardless of gender or Judeo Christian morality.

Once this marks of foulness take part and America becomes almost as half as gay as the UK currently is, the day of reckoning will truly begin then we will then release the chemically induced gay frogs on all our satanic Pizza gate command centers triggering the Blacknarock and this will extinguish the remianing light on this pathetic cuck world.

And you will, in your final breath catch sight of the real face of diversity once Trump's once great walls get reduced to rubble and life is no more.
View attachment 987916
This, but unironically. Stop Soros and his ilk. 14 words.

If we're going to eat anything unusual for the environment's sake we should probably develop a taste for invasive species and shit like feral hogs that are a constant nuisance and ecologically destructive. I've heard those nasty snakehead fish are actually delicious for instance.
Hell you can't kill Asian carps fast enough and I've heard they're great eating if done correctly.

Same for nutrarats. Feral Hogs. Lion Fish. There are loads of other food sources aside from bugs to be exploited, but aren't.

These are the same sort of dickhead people who complain about environmental problems, but buy their fruit and veg from the supermarket, because they don't know how to grow things and they can't be bothered to forage.

TowinKarz

Is it Morning Yet?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's such a blatant misunderstanding of what the whole purpose of acceptable levels means that it HAS to be deliberate, nobody can possibly be that dumb sincerely AND smart enough to write the rest of the article.

Spring water has trace amounts of arsenic and lead in it.... doesn't mean that a leadburger with arsenic sauce is a good idea.

Unless you're feeding it to NYT clickbait writers.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino