The Future of American Capitalism - The Future of Your Money

Do you think most industries will become a duopoly and triopoly?

• Total voters

Imperial Guardsman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I have been thinking alot lately about the future of the American economy. Personally I think in the next several decades we will see alot more consolidation within different industries. I think at this point we wil lend up seeing more industries turn into duopoly and triopolies where in any industry there are just two or three companies "competing" against each other. We have already been seeing this with media companies, going from 50 in 1983 to 6 in 2012 and just 4 now. This infographic is from 2012 and since then Disney and Fox have merged with CBS and Viacom doing the same.
media_consolidation.jpg

This has already happened with ISPs, I live in an area where there are only two ISPs to choose from and there are people I know who live an areas where there is only one ISP. While there are satellite internet providers most are slow speed and unreliable.

With the continued rise of Amazon and their eternal march to not only be your one stop for all your shopping needs but also working on becoming their own delivery service. This to me begs the question of how long long will it be before they are the only retailer for certain things. While Walmart has been trying to compete as an online retailer they simply haven't had the same luck and I think it is a battle that Amazon has already won.

The continued automation in amazon warehouses makes me believe that their eventual goal is to have an all robot workforce which is something that will happen in alot of different fields. This also makes me wonder with jobs that are being done by humans now being done by robots and severally limiting the jobs available it makes me wonder what the future of employment will be and how will the political landscape change with several more angry people going to extreme positions to find solutions because they are out of work.

Personally, I think the future of the American Economy will be industries dominated by Duopolies and Triopolies with majority robot workforces where only a small percentage of humans are employed to run companies and oversee robots. With that I think in 20-30 years (most likely alot sooner) we will see UBI gain alot more ground and eventually put into practice not only in European countries but the US. I think with continued automation UBI will eventually become the solution for all the people put out of work and in my opinion is something that is almost inevitable. While some people will work to get some money on top of their tugboat I think the majority will be NEETs or try their hand at a "creative" job trying their hand at youtube, etsy and other websites to make extra money. CGP Grey made a video in 2014 "Humans Need Not Apply" and I generally agree withthe point of the video that automation is inevitable.

It also makes me worry about the future of unpersoning and what will happen to those who are completely outcast and unable to partake in commerce and what their future will look like.

This is just a small collection of my thoughts on future of the American economy, What are your thoughts?

The Pink Panther

The Nigga Panther
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No, I don't think automation is automatically going to take over most jobs in the white-collar or some of the blue-collar work.

My prediction is that it might take over some of the more menial jobs (fast food or shop cashiers or whatnot, that's what I mean), but it's going to take a long while before that happens. I wouldn't say 20-30 years. I'd say more like 50-60 years. Another 2 or 3 generations.

.Woody

I am the snake in my boot
kiwifarms.net
There's plenty of jobs out there, that pay very well, that arent going to be automated any time soon. Any sort of trade, plumbing, HVAC, etc. Construction is another big one, and theres also the idea of vocational work and volunteering. Some of these even still have unions, like electricians, and you see mom &pop cleaning and maintenance services popping up everywhere. If everything does become robots, people will adapt, and the market will shift to focus on these other industries. Sure, you'll get a lot of people becoming vagrants or offing themselves, but thats what progress is all about.

roxitp0w3rwuzdabest420

kiwifarms.net
Take this with a grain of salt. But I remember years ago some guy posting to /pol/ talking about how he was sent Brazil for the cosmetic industry, with CIA backing. Basically we're heading for behavioral base economy aka. If you're a good boy you get paid in credit which you use as money. Kinda like what China is doing now.

You can find the archive somewhere, the guy seemed legit. It boils down to the elite are desperately trying to find a system that works and prevents us plebs from revolting.

Large

kiwifarms.net
Take this with a grain of salt. But I remember years ago some guy posting to /pol/ talking about how he was sent Brazil for the cosmetic industry, with CIA backing. Basically we're heading for behavioral base economy aka. If you're a good boy you get paid in credit which you use as money. Kinda like what China is doing now.

You can find the archive somewhere, the guy seemed legit. It boils down to the elite are desperately trying to find a system that works and prevents us plebs from revolting.
The neets and low-wage workers are desperately trying to find a single source of all evil to unite against.

Imperial Guardsman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
No, I don't think automation is automatically going to take over most jobs in the white-collar or some of the blue-collar work.

My prediction is that it might take over some of the more menial jobs (fast food or shop cashiers or whatnot, that's what I mean), but it's going to take a long while before that happens. I wouldn't say 20-30 years. I'd say more like 50-60 years. Another 2 or 3 generations.

I think it will be much faster than that. We are already seeing automation in those more menial jobs and I do think with the rise of self checkout lines and more advanced robotics for faster stocking of shelves and just cleaning up stores as well as doing general customer service, soon we will begin to see stores like walmarts open that only have around 10 or so employees per shift as opposed to closer to 100 where there are a few humans over seeing self checkout lines, someone to work the Jewelry, Electronics counters (I think they will still be paranoid about theft) and possibly someone to oversee the pharmacy (that can be entirely done by robots now) and one person to oversee robots the clean and stock shelves and last one human to oversee humans. There are already robots being developed to help people find certain items in stores and thus cutting down the people needed to be on the floor to help people find products. Amazon has already created what smaller stores will most likely eventually look like.

Within the next 10 years I am certain there will be widely available fully self driving vehicles and for a while I think we will see the self-driving semis till having truckers in them to oversee and intervene if necessary until the technology becomes trusted enough. This will be the same for taxi's and other ride sharing apps like Uber (who are developing their own self driving vehicles) and once this technology is trusted enough there won't be any need to keep those people employed.

There's plenty of jobs out there, that pay very well, that arent going to be automated any time soon. Any sort of trade, plumbing, HVAC, etc. Construction is another big one, and theres also the idea of vocational work and volunteering. Some of these even still have unions, like electricians, and you see mom &pop cleaning and maintenance services popping up everywhere. If everything does become robots, people will adapt, and the market will shift to focus on these other industries. Sure, you'll get a lot of people becoming vagrants or offing themselves, but thats what progress is all about.

While I don't disagree, those are from the majority of jobs and several of the most common types of jobs can be easily automated. Eventually though it wil ltake longer those jobs could be replaced by a more advanced version of Baxter that would be more of a general home repair robot.

American Capitalism is a failed experiment that will die, hopefully along with its supporters, sometime within a few decades once people realize that neolibs and conservatives have ruined the country.

I don't think it has necessarily failed, I think we are in an era where companies have actively been working to circumvent anti-trust and anti-monopoly laws. This is why I think we will see Duopolies and Triopolies in almost every industry. Those 2 or 3 companies will work together to provide an illusion of choice and prevent regulation.

Not just american; this is a global phenomenon.

I don't disagree that it is a global phenomenon, as an American so that is what I notice more.

Seems legit enough, I could easily see that happening. That has basically been policy of the Democratic party for years to get votes, offer nothing but gibs to avoid addressing real issues and securing votes in the future. This may be the way to root out wrongthink in addition to pacifying the population. I think that is another goal of putting UBI into practice. However I think that will be much further down the road and we will see it happen in Europe before America.

Lemmingwise

I paid the right click price, not the crypto price
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

trilateral.jpg

The best and greatest

Staring into your soul
kiwifarms.net

I give it 10-20 assuming luddites don't slow down the process to keep it from takin' thur jerbs.

Really though the timescale is unimportant. Eventually we'll make a machine for most everything, and at that point the entire concept of working for a living goes right into the dustbin of history. It'll be interesting to see how conservatives cope with people not having to work for their daily bread with paying jobs becoming something of a luxury.

Last edited:
Q

QI 541

kiwifarms.net
Really though the timescale is unimportant. Eventually we'll make a machine for most everything, and at that point the entire concept of working for a living goes right into the dustbin of history. It'll be interesting to see how conservatives cope with people not having to work for their daily bread with paying jobs becoming something of a luxury.

There's already way more people than jobs. Part of the reason why conservatives and American capitalism are dying is because they're senile old fossils incapable of adapting to this new reality.