The Ghostbusters Thread (Old, New, Animated, Whatever) -

Broseph Stalin

Smoke a Fed for St. Herkster
kiwifarms.net
It's probably because he's still having to deal with the financial fallout from the film's failure and got assblasted by one of the pissed off financial backers.

Either way, he needs to keep crying those cuckold tears. Those mugs aren't gonna fill themselves, ya know.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
https://www.cbr.com/paul-feig-shocked-clinton-campaign/

He is actually comparing the reception of the film to Hillary Clinton’s campaign reception.

The film garnered only $229mil, and considering the budget was about $150mil and at least double that amount for marketing and promotion, and the film cost around $300mil-$400mil to make. That is an absolute failure.

The funniest part is that he still cries misogyny instead of looking at the film from an outsiders perspective. In my opinion, the film wasn’t good. The personalities of the four Ghostbusters was boiled down and stripped of what made them great, for example, Egon went from a brilliant yet eccentric scientist who considers all things logically to basically shouting, “hey! Look at this wacky person! Isn’t Egon so weird?!”

RedLetterMedia did a fantastic job debunking the misogynistic reception in one of their videos with Scientist Man (seen below).

So, thoughts on why Feig still continues to beat a dead horse, even after people stopped talking about the film?
And just like Clinton, he can’t manage to move on.

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd say we've hit the bottom of the barrel in terms of hollywood scraping anything with a brand name to make a movie, but I'm holding out until there's a MegaBlocks film.
"Coming in 2020: Fruit of the Loom! Join Juan, the autistic gender fluid Latino as he embarks on a magical adventure of self-discovery with a little help from his magical talking fruit friends, as they try and foil the evil plans of Mean Mister Orange!"

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know, it's so sad how this whole debacle turned out.

Right now, in my mind's eye there's an amazing new trailer coming out for Ghostbuster Inc, where there's a supercut of Ecto numberplated vehicles and the teams in Chicago, Sunset Boulevard, New Orleans and even a bitchin looking Ford F-150 with a mobile containment unit in the truckbed somewhere in flyover country tearing ass up a dirt road with the siren on.

In between each shot is a woman walking along a corridor, she's dressed immaculately and she's walking along cubicles where office drones are handling calls. Have just hints of conversations "And you believe the spectre is how old ma'am?" really stupid, mundane troobleshooting questions. "Have you tried blocking the room off with a salt line?" shit like that.

Then the woman opens a pair of double doors to an office where a guy is looking out over the skyscrapers of New York.

"This month's financials" she drawls as the camera pulls out revealing its Janine and the figure at the window is Winston.

He looks at it, laughs and says "Business is good."

Then the camera pulls out showing the skyscraper and the ghostbusters logo on it before you get the first riffs of the original Ghostbusters Theme.

Your guerrilla marketing campaign would be all those ecto vehicles I just mentioned? Yeah, they're wandering those cities "on patrol" complete with a number you can call. If you call it, you get that wonderful old fashioned "push this button if..." options. This will be laborious and farcical to the point of frustrating. However, the first 100 people to make it through? Get to come and be part of the premier at the Chinese Theatre and to meet the cast and crew.

The movie's theme would be corporatism, how dealing with a company can be hilariously tone deaf at times with frustated customer service reps and how money can corrupt and change people (Dan and Bill would come back but only in cameo and only so Bill can just be a rich asshole) and later on maybe the rise of a dodgy corporate imitator who create and guide ghosts so they can exterminate them (think Monsanto and their grain shenanigans.).

But noooooooooooooooooooooo. We got Paul Feig who's now desperate for a gig, any gig.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Right now, in my mind's eye there's an amazing new trailer coming out for Ghostbuster Inc, where there's a supercut of Ecto numberplated vehicles and the teams in Chicago, Sunset Boulevard, New Orleans and even a bitchin looking Ford F-150 with a mobile containment unit in the truckbed somewhere in flyover country tearing ass up a dirt road with the siren on.

In between each shot is a woman walking along a corridor, she's dressed immaculately and she's walking along cubicles where office drones are handling calls. Have just hints of conversations "And you believe the spectre is how old ma'am?" really stupid, mundane troobleshooting questions. "Have you tried blocking the room off with a salt line?" shit like that.

Then the woman opens a pair of double doors to an office where a guy is looking out over the skyscrapers of New York.

"This month's financials" she drawls as the camera pulls out revealing its Janine and the figure at the window is Winston.

He looks at it, laughs and says "Business is good."

Then the camera pulls out showing the skyscraper and the ghostbusters logo on it before you get the first riffs of the original Ghostbusters Theme.

Your guerrilla marketing campaign would be all those ecto vehicles I just mentioned? Yeah, they're wandering those cities "on patrol" complete with a number you can call. If you call it, you get that wonderful old fashioned "push this button if..." options. This will be laborious and farcical to the point of frustrating. However, the first 100 people to make it through? Get to come and be part of the premier at the Chinese Theatre and to meet the cast and crew.

The movie's theme would be corporatism, how dealing with a company can be hilariously tone deaf at times with frustated customer service reps and how money can corrupt and change people (Dan and Bill would come back but only in cameo and only so Bill can just be a rich asshole) and later on maybe the rise of a dodgy corporate imitator who create and guide ghosts so they can exterminate them (think Private Villa of Corrupted Crops and their grain shenanigans.).

But noooooooooooooooooooooo. We got Paul Feig who's now desperate for a gig, any gig.
I would watch that movie.

Ponderous Pillock

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I would watch that movie.
You could play with this idea so fucking much across movies or a TV show or whatever. Imagine holistic ghost busting because "The Corporation's science can be very damaging" and them being as hacky as the real ones are. Or SJW types demanding that we find a way of co-existing with spectres because "Ghosts should have rights too" or some such shit.

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You could play with this idea so fucking much across movies or a TV show or whatever. Imagine holistic ghost busting because "The Corporation's science can be very damaging" and them being as hacky as the real ones are. Or SJW types demanding that we find a way of co-existing with spectres because "Ghosts should have rights too" or some such shit.
Afaik, Sony was trying to expand their Ghostbusters IP into a whole cinematic universe (like anything they do, really)... you just showed the most organic, straightforward way of doing that.

You could have a show about Ghostbusters in ... pretty much every place on Earth.
Like: Ghostbusters: New York. Ghostbusters: Ohio, etc. Or just a group of Ghostbusters that travel around the US.
What easier way could there be than to make a movie that establishes that ghost hunting has become a large corporation and then have spin-offs in different areas?

To spice things up, you could use local legends, history and mysteries. The original movies, for instance, mention a couple of things like a train desaster or the pneumatic subway - things that actually existed in New York.
The cartoon showed that an episodic format works like a charm for this IP and by being smart, they could have made so fucking much.

And what did we get instead? Queef jokes.

Ponderous Pillock

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Who owns the rights to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ghost_Busters ?
Because they really dropped the ball on cashing in on the shitty reboot. They could have even partnered with like, Asylum or something to distribute it and make a "Mock buster" that was *at least* as legit as the "real" one.
Believe it or not.

Universal Pictures.

Filmation bounced around a little bit, falling into Hallmark's hands which it did very little with, eventually selling them off in 2004 to Entertainment Rights, a UK based company which would tank in the Great Recession in 2009 via voluntary administration due to crashing company value. Their rights were sold off to Boomerang Media, who reorganised themselves into the Classic Media and then sold themselves off to Dreamworks in 2012 who were in turn bought out by NBCUniversal in 2016.

So yeah, guys behind Fast and The Furious, Despicable Me and Jurassic Park now own the original The Ghost Busters IP.

Wallace

Cram it in me, baby!
kiwifarms.net
You could make an entire TV series about a young start-up franchise of this business. Have a group of friends go into it thinking that not only are they going to get rich fast, they get to work with their friends, so it won't even really be work! Just one big party, every day! And when things get tough, they pull on the friendship. It would be just like the tech start-ups of the 90s. What better compliment to the horrors of ghost-hunting than the horrors of venture capitalism?

Reactions: Adamska

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
Believe it or not.

Universal Pictures.

Filmation bounced around a little bit, falling into Hallmark's hands which it did very little with, eventually selling them off in 2004 to Entertainment Rights, a UK based company which would tank in the Great Recession in 2009 via voluntary administration due to crashing company value. Their rights were sold off to Boomerang Media, who reorganised themselves into the Classic Media and then sold themselves off to Dreamworks in 2012 who were in turn bought out by NBCUniversal in 2016.

So yeah, guys behind Fast and The Furious, Despicable Me and Jurassic Park now own the original The Ghost Busters IP.
I thought they were owned by Sony. But then there’s some sort of incestuous relationship with Universal/Sony/etc. going by Universal Studios.

JohnDoe

Black Looters Murder! Its why I rep #RoofHyenas!
kiwifarms.net

This is much, much better than would have been necessary for the reboot. If they had a competent director and screenwriter it would have been so easy to skate by with the flimsiest of excuses. "Oh, its a cycle of ghostness and ghosts have returned, good thing there's all this busted up old 80's shit you can take and upgrade, young new actors with charisma that we endorse, good luck!"

But no, gimmicks and low effort.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Real Ghostbusters and Ghostbusters 1 are the only cannon I will accept. Fight me faggots.

Also, Paul Feig ruined all new Ghostbusters IPs and for that I thank him, because Sony is a pure trash-tier studio and everything the produce turns to shit. So thank you, Paul Feig, for nearly bankrupting Sony studios, forcing them to share the Spiderman IP with Marvel and them dropping the Ghostbusters Cinematic Universe. If you weren't such a bitch beta faggot, I would almost say you did it on purpose. But you are a beta faggot, so thank you for your great incompetence of saving this franchise from Sony and making them put it away until we are all dead and can't be embarrassed by it.

Ponderous Pillock

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is much, much better than would have been necessary for the reboot. If they had a competent director and screenwriter it would have been so easy to skate by with the flimsiest of excuses. "Oh, its a cycle of ghostness and ghosts have returned, good thing there's all this busted up old 80's shit you can take and upgrade, young new actors with charisma that we endorse, good luck!"

But no, gimmicks and low effort.
Ehhhhhhhhhhh, I wanted to go all in on a Ghostbusters Universe and then to build on that weird phenomenon of the lightning-in-a-bottle of the original and give a sense of "Holy shit this thing has spread." On top of that, the original was very regan-esque in its "any schlub can start a business and be successful!" Message by then playing with the concept of franchises. We're surrounded by franchises in our day to day lives but don't seem to realise it. (Nearly all fast food chains and many stores are actually franchises and branding, not some mega-corp).

In the TV concept pitched above by @Wallace you could totally do that though by the group of friends not being able to afford some "deluxe franchising" package. Seriously, imagine a whole damn scene by a sales agent going over every awesome option under the sun and it come out at some eye-watering price before it's revealed they have like $80k between them, at which point it cuts to the agent driving off leaving them a small pile of 80s looking equipment in front of each of them and a couple of (sad looking) cardboard boxes which don't even have the logo on them. You'd have a few silent beats of them looking down at the pile of stuff before they break out into cheers and hi-fiving each other.

BAM; Comedy that writes itself about what we can afford vs what we want.

This gives you a nice firewall as well between the more dramatic expensive and action driven movies that could have new kit and vehicles and what have you versus a TV show that would be far more in keeping with the spirit of the first movie.

Tags
None