The Ghostbusters Thread (Old, New, Animated, Whatever) -

RomanesEuntDomus

Choke on these nuts
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's a tiny, masochistic part of me that would like to see a sequel to Queefbusters, just to see how they fuck up the whole Zool thing.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: frozenrunner

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Since the Red Letter Media thread kind of got derailed with talk of Ghostbusters, I figured the franchise should have it's own dedicated thread.

So discuss anything and everything Ghostbusters, past, present and future, here.

Thank Fuck For Evil Otto

He lived the life of a black man, authentically.
kiwifarms.net
Well, what do you know.
Aykroyd, 67, also announced that along with Murray, original cast members Sigourney Weaver, Ernie Hudson, and Annie Potts will make appearances in the upcoming sequel, which will serve as a follow-up to the 1984 original Ghostbusters, directed by Ivan Reitman.
They're skipping Ghostbusters 2? I don't like that. It wasn't great, but it was an honest effort. I suppose any hope of Bobby Brown returning to the soundtrack is dashed! I am displeased!

2 is a downgraded rehash the original but honestly is better than people give it credit for
Hot take.

Ghostbusters 2 is a 100% rehash..but does it everything better.

Vigo is a far superior villain to Gozer, and The whole "New York negativity is empowering The Slime Vigo is using, so the Ghostbusters have to find a symbol that brings out the positive side of New York" is a better end game solution than "Cross the streams."

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
Hot take.

Ghostbusters 2 is a 100% rehash..but does it everything better.

Vigo is a far superior villain to Gozer, and The whole "New York negativity is empowering The Slime Vigo is using, so the Ghostbusters have to find a symbol that brings out the positive side of New York" is a better end game solution than "Cross the streams."
I don't know if I would say it does everything better, but it does do a perfectly fine job rehashing things to not just feel like an inferior version, I've always liked Ghostbusters 2 a lot, I was in fact completely flabbergasted when I learned that there were people that thought it was a bad movie.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, what do you know.
Oh boy, I get to see a man who notoriously flakes out on projects, didn't want to make another movie to the point Ramis fucking died, be screamed as the star by dishonest Sony for this film. It's almost like they probably had to strongarm him to commit so early for desperation points.
It'll be a cameo and he'll play a ghost. Which might still be cool.
I almost certainly expect that he'll have a bit role and this is open lying, since more than one movie and legacy person has been brought back to fool people. See: Jeff Goldblum, James Cameron on himself and Edward Furlong, Patrick Stewart, and so. Much. More. And Sony pioneered this trend of dishonest bullshit too.
They're skipping Ghostbusters 2? I don't like that. It wasn't great, but it was an honest effort. I suppose any hope of Bobby Brown returning to the soundtrack is dashed! I am displeased!
Oh boy, they're pulling a Genysis/Dark Fate by tard screeching that the meh movie never happened. Prepare to watch as they ape it and the first one (so really just the first one) while passing the torch to unfunny cunts and hacks as a massive goddamn flop. Watch as they accuse the consumer again as they also hold their hat out to beg for us to make Sony a franchise since they still are chasing Disney.

Like it's not even hard to predict anymore; pre-emptive fuck you Sony until otherwise proven wrong.

TchPiKinmup

kiwifarms.net
First Look at Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Director Jason Reitman conjures the spirit of the 1984 original in the upcoming film, which focuses on a single mom and her two kids.
BY
ANTHONY BREZNICAN

Paul Rudd

Paul Rudd

Hauntings are real. They happen all the time, although not necessarily in a supernatural sense.

Regrets about the past. Guilt over lost moments. Unfinished business.The single mom and her two kids at the center of Ghostbusters: Afterlife have all these conflicts, complications, and issues—but on top of that, this family is also dealing with actual free-floating, full-torso vaporous apparitions, focused nonterminal repeating phantasms, and Class 5 full-roaming vapors.Real nasty ones too.A trailer for the July 10 film will debut on Monday, and Vanity Fair got an exclusive glimpse of the new characters at the heart of the story, with The LeftoversCarrie Coon starring as mom Callie, I, Tonya’s Mckenna Grace as her science-obsessed daughter Phoebe, and Stranger ThingsFinn Wolfhard as gearhead son Trevor. They have left everything they know and moved to a small town in Oklahoma after inheriting property from the father she didn’t know.
https://video.vanityfair.com/watch/slang-school-chadwick-boseman-and-sienna-miller-teach-you-south-carolina-and-british-slang/

Director and cowriter Jason Reitman (Up in the Air, Juno) takes over filmmaking duties from his own father, Ivan Reitman, who directed the original two Ghostbusters films, and returns for this one as a producer. Afterlife “is a new adventure that connects back to the Manhattan Crossrip of 1984,” Reitman said, unlike the 2016 all-female reboot, which started its story from scratch and existed in a different storytelling universe.

“Manhattan Crossrip” is the technical term for that long-ago bizarre incident in New York involving an apocalypse-summoning skyscraper, a gargantuan killer marshmallow man, and four working stiffs who managed to fight back against an ancient Sumerian God named Gozer.

Most of the original cast have committed to returning as their classic characters, although it’s not clear in what capacity they'll appear. (Harold Ramis died in 2014, and Rick Moranis, who has limited his screen work in recent years, is not expected to reprise his role.)
We probably won't see much of the classic characters until the film itself reveals what became of them over the past three decades. Callie and her family are also wondering how those guys fit into their lives.

“As the family arrives at an old farm, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters,” Reitman said. “Trevor and Phoebe are about to find out who their grandfather was and whether they’re ready to pick up the proton pack themselves.”
Reitman doesn’t want to confirm much else about the family’s history, but people may already notice some familiarity in their appearance.

In the collapsing barn of their farmhouse, they find an old car, bloomed with rust, hidden beneath a tarp—the retro-ambulance turned ghost-hunting mobile. In this shot, Trevor lays eyes on his new ride for the first time, originally hinted at a year ago in the movie’s teaser.
The cinematographer on the film is Eric Steelberg (Dolemite Is My Name, (500) Days of Summer), who has known Jason Reitman since they were teenagers and worked with him on all of his films.
pStrange objects litter the property the family has inherited.p

Strange objects litter the property the family has inherited.
COURTESY SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT

Elsewhere in the house, which is packed with a mountain of books and lots of bizarre technology, Phoebe will find a device that reads psychokinetic energy. Ghostbusters fans will recognize that immediately as a tool of the trade from the original movies.

“The joy of cowriting a film like this is imagining the sound of Ecto-1’s engine revving back to life or the moment a PKE meter lights up for the first time and begins leading you toward your destiny,” said Reitman, who penned the script with Monster House and City of Ember filmmaker Gil Kenan.
pFinn Wolfhard's Trevor gets the family car running.p

Finn Wolfhard's Trevor gets the family car running.

While her brother tinkers with the car, Phoebe finds herself transfixed by the mystery of their new town—not just by the peculiar subjects in their dilapidated home, but strange rumblings from a nearby mine. In this shot, she and her schoolmate (played by Logan Kim) ignore warning signs to venture closer to the abandoned and dangerous place.
pMckenna Grace as Phoebe and Logan Kim as her friend explore ruins of an old mine.p

Mckenna Grace as Phoebe and Logan Kim as her friend explore ruins of an old mine.

Trevor and Phoebe may actually know less about the Ghostbusters than anyone. What happened in 1984 is as mysterious to them as Van Halen and Run-DMC is to Billie Eilish.
Fortunately, they have a summer school teacher named Mr. Grooberson (played by Paul Rudd) who was a kid when the Manhattan Crossrip occurred. Although later generations may think of it as a myth, or not think of it at all, he remembers it obsessively and is excited to pass on what he knows.

Here we see the teacher stunned to be holding an actual ghost trap. It’s been a while since he’s seen anything like this, and never this close.
pIt's a trap Paul Rudd's Mr. Grooberson examines a relic from the Ghostbusters of yesteryear.p

It's a trap! Paul Rudd's Mr. Grooberson examines a relic from the Ghostbusters of yesteryear.

KIMBERLY FRENCH
He might think he already knows a lot, but all of them are about to get an education in the otherworldly.

below TLDR summary from AVClub:
  • It’s set in the current day, and “connects back to the Manhattan Crossip of 1984.” The Manhattan Crossrip, to be clear, is what everyone calls all that business with Gozer and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man from the original film.
  • “Most of the original cast have committed to returning as their classic characters, although it’s not clear in what capacity they’ll appear.” This, plus a note about many people deeming the Crossrip to be a myth, points to a timeline where the Ghostbusters are no longer active or well-known.
  • While Annie Potts’ Janine is likely to return, don’t expect Rick Moranis’ Louis Tully.
  • The story centers around a single mother, Callie (Carrie Coon), and her kids, Phoebe (Mckenna Grace) and Trevor (Finn Wolfhard). When the film begins, they’re moving into an Oklahoma property that’s been left to them by “the father [Callie] didn’t know.” As was teased way back in January, the land left to Callie and co. contains the Ghostbusters old car, Ecto-1, and some familiar ghost-hunting equipment, though they don’t recognize it as such.
  • Paul Rudd plays a summer school teacher named Mr. Grooberson, who was apparently a kid when the Manhattan Crossrip occurred. It’s since turned into an obsession for him. In one of the photos, he gazes at a ghost trap from the early films.
  • Just as we (sorta) predicted, Callie, Phoebe, and Trevor share a bloodline with one of the original Ghostbusters. (It’s not confirmed, but it’s definitely Egon, the egghead played by the late Harold Ramis.) “As the family arrives at an old farm, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters,” Reitman told Vanity Fair. “Trevor and Phoebe are about to find out who their grandfather was and whether they’re ready to pick up the proton pack themselves.”
  • Phoebe and a schoolmate played by Logan Kim become fascinated by a nearby mine that sure sounds haunted. Trevor, meanwhile, is a “gearhead,” meaning he’ll likely be the one who gets the Ecto-1 working again.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
First Look at Ghostbusters: Afterlife
Director Jason Reitman conjures the spirit of the 1984 original in the upcoming film, which focuses on a single mom and her two kids.
BY
ANTHONY BREZNICAN

Paul Rudd

Paul Rudd

Hauntings are real. They happen all the time, although not necessarily in a supernatural sense.

Regrets about the past. Guilt over lost moments. Unfinished business.The single mom and her two kids at the center of Ghostbusters: Afterlife have all these conflicts, complications, and issues—but on top of that, this family is also dealing with actual free-floating, full-torso vaporous apparitions, focused nonterminal repeating phantasms, and Class 5 full-roaming vapors.Real nasty ones too.A trailer for the July 10 film will debut on Monday, and Vanity Fair got an exclusive glimpse of the new characters at the heart of the story, with The LeftoversCarrie Coon starring as mom Callie, I, Tonya’s Mckenna Grace as her science-obsessed daughter Phoebe, and Stranger ThingsFinn Wolfhard as gearhead son Trevor. They have left everything they know and moved to a small town in Oklahoma after inheriting property from the father she didn’t know.
https://video.vanityfair.com/watch/...r-teach-you-south-carolina-and-british-slang/

Director and cowriter Jason Reitman (Up in the Air, Juno) takes over filmmaking duties from his own father, Ivan Reitman, who directed the original two Ghostbusters films, and returns for this one as a producer. Afterlife “is a new adventure that connects back to the Manhattan Crossrip of 1984,” Reitman said, unlike the 2016 all-female reboot, which started its story from scratch and existed in a different storytelling universe.

“Manhattan Crossrip” is the technical term for that long-ago bizarre incident in New York involving an apocalypse-summoning skyscraper, a gargantuan killer marshmallow man, and four working stiffs who managed to fight back against an ancient Sumerian God named Gozer.

Most of the original cast have committed to returning as their classic characters, although it’s not clear in what capacity they'll appear. (Harold Ramis died in 2014, and Rick Moranis, who has limited his screen work in recent years, is not expected to reprise his role.)
We probably won't see much of the classic characters until the film itself reveals what became of them over the past three decades. Callie and her family are also wondering how those guys fit into their lives.

“As the family arrives at an old farm, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters,” Reitman said. “Trevor and Phoebe are about to find out who their grandfather was and whether they’re ready to pick up the proton pack themselves.”
Reitman doesn’t want to confirm much else about the family’s history, but people may already notice some familiarity in their appearance.

In the collapsing barn of their farmhouse, they find an old car, bloomed with rust, hidden beneath a tarp—the retro-ambulance turned ghost-hunting mobile. In this shot, Trevor lays eyes on his new ride for the first time, originally hinted at a year ago in the movie’s teaser.
The cinematographer on the film is Eric Steelberg (Dolemite Is My Name, (500) Days of Summer), who has known Jason Reitman since they were teenagers and worked with him on all of his films.
pStrange objects litter the property the family has inherited.p

Strange objects litter the property the family has inherited.

Elsewhere in the house, which is packed with a mountain of books and lots of bizarre technology, Phoebe will find a device that reads psychokinetic energy. Ghostbusters fans will recognize that immediately as a tool of the trade from the original movies.

“The joy of cowriting a film like this is imagining the sound of Ecto-1’s engine revving back to life or the moment a PKE meter lights up for the first time and begins leading you toward your destiny,” said Reitman, who penned the script with Monster House and City of Ember filmmaker Gil Kenan.
pFinn Wolfhard's Trevor gets the family car running.p 's Trevor gets the family car running.p

Finn Wolfhard's Trevor gets the family car running.

While her brother tinkers with the car, Phoebe finds herself transfixed by the mystery of their new town—not just by the peculiar subjects in their dilapidated home, but strange rumblings from a nearby mine. In this shot, she and her schoolmate (played by Logan Kim) ignore warning signs to venture closer to the abandoned and dangerous place.
pMckenna Grace as Phoebe and Logan Kim as her friend explore ruins of an old mine.p

Mckenna Grace as Phoebe and Logan Kim as her friend explore ruins of an old mine.

Trevor and Phoebe may actually know less about the Ghostbusters than anyone. What happened in 1984 is as mysterious to them as Van Halen and Run-DMC is to Billie Eilish.
Fortunately, they have a summer school teacher named Mr. Grooberson (played by Paul Rudd) who was a kid when the Manhattan Crossrip occurred. Although later generations may think of it as a myth, or not think of it at all, he remembers it obsessively and is excited to pass on what he knows.

Here we see the teacher stunned to be holding an actual ghost trap. It’s been a while since he’s seen anything like this, and never this close.
pIt's a trap Paul Rudd's Mr. Grooberson examines a relic from the Ghostbusters of yesteryear.p 's a trap Paul Rudd's Mr. Grooberson examines a relic from the Ghostbusters of yesteryear.p

It's a trap! Paul Rudd's Mr. Grooberson examines a relic from the Ghostbusters of yesteryear.

KIMBERLY FRENCH
He might think he already knows a lot, but all of them are about to get an education in the otherworldly.

below TLDR summary from AVClub:
  • It’s set in the current day, and “connects back to the Manhattan Crossip of 1984.” The Manhattan Crossrip, to be clear, is what everyone calls all that business with Gozer and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man from the original film.
  • “Most of the original cast have committed to returning as their classic characters, although it’s not clear in what capacity they’ll appear.” This, plus a note about many people deeming the Crossrip to be a myth, points to a timeline where the Ghostbusters are no longer active or well-known.
  • While Annie Potts’ Janine is likely to return, don’t expect Rick Moranis’ Louis Tully.
  • The story centers around a single mother, Callie (Carrie Coon), and her kids, Phoebe (Mckenna Grace) and Trevor (Finn Wolfhard). When the film begins, they’re moving into an Oklahoma property that’s been left to them by “the father [Callie] didn’t know.” As was teased way back in January, the land left to Callie and co. contains the Ghostbusters old car, Ecto-1, and some familiar ghost-hunting equipment, though they don’t recognize it as such.
  • Paul Rudd plays a summer school teacher named Mr. Grooberson, who was apparently a kid when the Manhattan Crossrip occurred. It’s since turned into an obsession for him. In one of the photos, he gazes at a ghost trap from the early films.
  • Just as we (sorta) predicted, Callie, Phoebe, and Trevor share a bloodline with one of the original Ghostbusters. (It’s not confirmed, but it’s definitely Egon, the egghead played by the late Harold Ramis.) “As the family arrives at an old farm, they begin to discover their connection to the original Ghostbusters,” Reitman told Vanity Fair. “Trevor and Phoebe are about to find out who their grandfather was and whether they’re ready to pick up the proton pack themselves.”
  • Phoebe and a schoolmate played by Logan Kim become fascinated by a nearby mine that sure sounds haunted. Trevor, meanwhile, is a “gearhead,” meaning he’ll likely be the one who gets the Ecto-1 working again.
Ehh... I have no real enthusiasm for this one. I'm open to it being good, but I'm not going to pay a lot of attention until it's ready to come out. ESPECIALLY since using the son of a more famous director is something that was already done; by the Rat for Solo.

frozenrunner

Please do not hoard limited salt supplies.
kiwifarms.net
This is a lot better than Ballbusters, obviously. But I'm still not too excited.

Even without the uniform reveal, the girl's look (especially the hair) while wearing her glasses would have sealed her as Egon's descendant. I guess that's kind of a classy way to "bring back" Egon when Ramis is gone. I don't hate that.

But let's say this film is successful. The best we can hope for is these two kids fighting more ghosts in sequels. Does anyone really want that? I'm fine with Paul Rudd being a new Ghostbuster, but I don't think I need the kids.

By the way, what's up with the serious, reverential tone of the trailer? I love Ghostbusters, but it was a silly (if clever) fantasy comedy. A great sequel would be appreciated, but the franchise is not exactly holy.

At least the cast is decent. And it seems to be ignoring 2...

• Agree
Reactions: 183 baras
Tags
None