The Great Blackface Purge of 2020 - oh lawd chille we politically incorrect naw

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
I guarantee you the fourth season episode of Designing Women where Delta Burke dresses as a Supreme is getting axed next
LOL! I remember that one! I think people just forgot Designing Women existed.
In this episode, the three characters were strongly condemning the fourth woman for performing in skin-darkening makeup. There was context. But that doesn't matter anymore to the Wokerati.

The Nothingness

The one with no body!
kiwifarms.net
So if all forms of Western entertainment are purging instances of blackface, no matter the context, will other forms of *blank*face be next? Blazing Saddles is on the cancel chopping block for a number of reasons but then you have Mel Brooks darkening his face to play the Sioux Nation chief. On another thread, James Bond disguising himself as a Japanese man in You Only Live Twice was brought up as possibly "problematic". And there is that classic episode of The Twilight Zone, "A Quality of Mercy", where Dean Stockwell's character becomes a Japanese lieutenant during World War II.

Last edited:

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Said article said it was the executives at Disney/ABC that decided it. So corporate pandering ruins yet another classic.
Setting aside the obvious stupidity of this, I do find it funny that there must be people over at Disney scouring through 1000's of hours of sitcoms from the last 70 years, looking for shit like this. Like, how else do you even find this?

The Last Stand

Kiwi Farms Popularity Judge
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Setting aside the obvious stupidity of this, I do find it funny that there must be people over at Disney scouring through 1000's of hours of sitcoms from the last 70 years, looking for shit like this. Like, how else do you even find this?
I guess somebody picks a show, and watches the episodes to see if they can be streamed. Literally get paid to watch TV.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: MsStevieMarie

jellycar

Now featuring 100% more Natasha Romanoff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Literally the main plot of this episode of Designing Women isn't even about blackface. Charlene (aka Queen Jean Smart of this former icon I used below)
eb036c46-c1db-4e41-8f76-6648c4fa2e6c.gif
finds out that her sister is being abused by her husband. She fears for her life and her kids so Charlene let's her stay over. The b plot is that the girls are putting on a talent show fundraiser. The climax of the episode is them all dressed up ready to perform Diana Ross's cover of Ain't No Mountain High Enough dressed as Supremes. Suzanne (Delta Burke) shows up in full blackface. Everyone is horrified so they go on without her yet she pops up as the annoyance during the number. Its all played up for laughs because Suzanne is being an idiot. That's the point.

But watch them remove it.

Atomsk

Pirate King
kiwifarms.net
Is any of this shit actually blackface though? Like yeah, they're faces are painted to look like a black person but I don't think that's the same or should be compared to blackface as it was known in the past since there was way more too it. This whole thing is literally just a huge kneejerk reaction to something that just reminds them or something racist in the past.

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
Blazing Saddles is on the cancel chopping block for a number of reasons but then you have Mel Brooks darkening his face to play the Sioux Nation chief.
I suspect that they're waiting for Mel to die before they tear him to shreds so he can't fight back. People like Lindsay Ellis are chomping at the bit to get him, but realize they'll get a lot of blowback if they do.

Trilby

Sorry, but not sorry!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I suspect that they're waiting for Mel to die before they tear him to shreds so he can't fight back. People like Lindsay Ellis are chomping at the bit to get him, but realize they'll get a lot of blowback if they do.
Sad to think Mel's time is almost up.

EDIT: Still thinking of this after Carl Reiner's passing. We're losing our greats.

Last edited:

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Rated optimistic because 100% there are people doing this shit for free with the expectation of Twitter asspats.

RumblyTumbly

kiwifarms.net
My question is, where do we draw the line with this insanity?

Does "All in the Family" get cancelled because Archie was a racist over 40 years ago?

Does "Mama's Family" get cancelled forever because 1) The Family is Southern and probably racist and 2) Vicki Lawrence wasn't a senior citizen when she played the character and that's "Old-Face" and improper age coding, or some shit?

Do Kaiju and Kung Fu movies get cancelled because the dubbing into English is a form of cultural appropriation?

Does the new Voltron get cancelled because it didn't have the right Gay ship, and that is damaging to LGBTQ rights...somehow?

I mean it all sounds stupid, but as we all know, you could give these fuckers everything they want, and they still aren't happy, so they'll find other things to get upset about.

Tags
None