The Great Star Wars Manosphere Chimpout of 2015-2016

• Copy+pasting images with your clipboard now works again, ending the two-month reign of terror we endured of the prior notice.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Too Many Crooks

Depressed Doge
kiwifarms.net
I love how the writer claims to like Hux's pre-genocide speech because of "the visuals". I bet :lol:

image.jpeg

DrChristianTroy

kiwifarms.net
I'm really struggling to see how "Girl is the main character and does cool main character things" is a political point.
Because it isn't a white man automatically equals political point apparently. The fact that the film landscape is so full of white dudes that this can be said is depressing but that's neither here nor there.

N

NG 070

kiwifarms.net
At times like this I almost miss the sperging about whether Han shot first or not. ;)

Honestly, as obnoxious as that subject is, I'd gladly take the whining of the OT purists/autists (and the Bring Back Legends spergs, for that matter) over this crap any day. I'm not looking forward to the further chimpouts over Rogue One (or Rogue One itself for that matter, but that's neither here nor there) later this year, ughhh...

Andrew Noel Schaefer

Mentally ill goblin who only talks about soda.
Person of Interest
kiwifarms.net
>feminist film
>most badass character is Finn, a Nigga with Attitude
>Not Rei

Aliens and Fury Road were more feminist then this, and only the latter had its director tout "OH MY! FEMINIST FILM!" at the last minute to get more ticket sales.

Too Many Crooks

Depressed Doge
kiwifarms.net
I bet that these morons would gush non-stop over the movie if Rey was a man and Kylo Ren was a woman.

They'd be drooling over the scene when Rey escapes the interrogation room with a Jedi mind trick on the guard, and the finale fight in which Kylo Ren takes a lightsaber to the face (and lives).

"See that? A real man (TM) showed that whiny emo bitch her place! Checkmate, feminists!"

Batman VS Tony Danza

The Eternal Struggle
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I bet that these morons would gush non-stop over the movie if Rey was a man and Kylo Ren was a woman.

They'd be drooling over the scene when Rey escapes the interrogation room with a Jedi mind trick on the guard, and the finale fight in which Kylo Ren takes a lightsaber to the face (and lives).

"See that? A real man (TM) showed that whiny emo bitch her place! Checkmate, feminists!"

They'd probably call Mr. Rey a bitch for getting his shit kicked in by a woman at first. Meanwhile feminists would be angry because Ms. Kylo is shown as a woman controlled by her emotional impulses, prone to outbursts at a moment's notice. Then the Mary Sue would write an article about how Ms. Kylo Ren is the embodiment of how men are afraid and disgusted by menstruation ("She even had a red light sabre. Y'know, like period blood!")

Too Many Crooks

Depressed Doge
kiwifarms.net
They'd probably call Mr. Rey a bitch for getting his shit kicked in by a woman at first. Meanwhile feminists would be angry because Ms. Kylo is shown as a woman controlled by her emotional impulses, prone to outbursts at a moment's notice. Then the Mary Sue would write an article about how Ms. Kylo Ren is the embodiment of how men are afraid and disgusted by menstruation ("She even had a red light sabre. Y'know, like period blood!")

Haha, I think you're spot on!

Yeah, they also would denounce "male Rey" as a "beta" for befriending Finn (black men are triggering)-- in addition to being captured & interrogated by "female Kylo Ren"-- women who beat men in a fight are also "triggering".

If there was a prominent, dangerous female villain in Star Wars or another big movie, radfems would cry "sexism!" or write a pretentious gender-centric article while MRAs would use the character as an ass-pull excuse about how "feminism is evil."

I saw a couple of Tumblr posts about how Kylo Ren represents the "angry white men of the modern day"- shit like that instead of (more plausibly) an insecure, gullible man who was lured to the Dark Side by a creepy giant version of Gollum.

I also saw some comments whining about Captain Phasma, despite the fact that she only had 5 minutes of screen time.

It's a catch-22 trying to please either of these bizarre groups, so it's best not to even try :)

...If there was a group of these whiners back when the original SW trilogy & the Alien movies were released, they would be writing angry childish letters to the studios who made the films.

Still, that would make some good laughs for whoever handled the letters :lol:

Replicant Sasquatch

Do Lolcows Dream of Electric Hedgehog Pokemon?
kiwifarms.net
I'm really struggling to see how "Girl is the main character and does cool main character things" is a political point.

I've seen a lot of bitching about "stronk, capable Rey don't need no man" from both the Manosphere and people on the internet in general. Apparently a female character who doesn't need constant rescuing or her insecurities shoved in her face all the time is triggering to these guys (note: Rey still requires rescuing and does in fact have her insecurities thrown in her face all the time). As much as I hate to play the gender card, I really don't think the backlash would exist at all if she were a male character.

AnOminous

Go Speed Racer Go!
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
As much as I hate to play the gender card, I really don't think the backlash would exist at all if she were a male character.

The backlash has been from completely insignificant people who make no difference at all to anything that matters, such as a film's actual box office, fueled by real people buying tickets and warming seats in theaters.

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
As much as I hate to play the gender card, I really don't think the backlash would exist at all if she were a male character.

I wouldn't go quite that far, since female characters have always been welcomed by the Star Wars fandom (from my experience at least), but I will say that I've never seen any other protagonist in recent memory held to the same standard that she has.

Replicant Sasquatch

kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't go quite that far, since female characters have always been welcomed by the Star Wars fandom (from my experience at least), but I will say that I've never seen any other protagonist in recent memory held to the same standard that she has.

I just find it funny people insist she's a Mary Sue because she knows how to fight and fly a ship.

Meanwhile Luke solo'd the Death Star by using the Force. Which he knew less about than Rey clearly knows.

Lensherr

kiwifarms.net
I just find it funny people insist she's a Mary Sue because she knows how to fight and fly a ship.

Meanwhile Luke solo'd the Death Star by using the Force. Which he knew less about than Rey clearly knows.
I don't want to start a big debate or anything, because I've had enough of those, but the Rebel leader showed Luke and his squadmates the layout of the Death Star (which they got from the stolen plans), which gave them an idea of how to destroy it.

AnOminous

Go Speed Racer Go!
Retired Staff
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Most of the chimpouts didn't come from Star Wars fans but from the kind of idiots who hang out on Return of Kings and similar sites desperately looking for any opportunity to chimp out about damn near anything. They don't really give a shit about the actual movie.

These same idiots have shown up for the Ghostbusters shit (and GamerGate before that), helpfully making it very easy for the money-grubbing creeps who are pimping that shit property to scream misogyny whenever anyone says they don't think it looks very good.

Replicant Sasquatch

kiwifarms.net
I don't want to start a big debate or anything, because I've had enough of those, but the Rebel leader showed Luke and his squadmates the layout of the Death Star (which they got from the stolen plans), which gave them an idea of how to destroy it.

Last bit of Sperging because I also don't want a huge debate, but the shot was still virtually impossible and a seasoned veteran pilot fucked it up before Luke got his turn. And Luke didn't even use a computer to do it.

And these manosphere guys think chumping a Vader wannabe in a sword fight is an inexcusable display of author favor.

Status
Not open for further replies.