Culture The Hollywood Sex Pest Megathread - America saw Yewtree and said 'We can top that'

Did Harvey Weinstein molest you?

  • Yes

    Votes: 57 10.3%
  • ((((Yes))))

    Votes: 495 89.7%

  • Total voters
    552

Trig.Point

I wouldn't start from here.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wait, do rich assholes act like assholes?
A lot of rich Assholes particularly those born into money, are careful to draw a distinction between how they treat 'the regular help' and how they treat the 'help' that are intimately involved with their day to day life, and potentially could do them a lot of damage if motivated.

Just not this rich Asshole.
 

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The noted opera singer, conductor, and musical director Plácido Domingo has been forced to resign from the Los Angeles Opera, following allegations that he is a male opera singer, accompanied by a campaign to shut down any performances featuring him or the Los Angeles Opera.
Placido Domingo resigns from LA Opera, as #MeToo campaign continues
By Fred Mazelis
4 October 2019

As the ongoing attack on famed opera star Placido Domingo continued, the multi-talented 78-year-old announced that he is resigning from the Los Angeles Opera, the company that he helped found and that he has led for the last 16 years. Domingo is not only among the most famous, but also without question the most versatile and durable operatic performer of the past century. He began as a tenor, transitioned to baritone roles later in his career, is also a well-known conductor, and has been the leader of both the LA and Washington Operas.

The MeToo-style campaign against Domingo surfaced in August in an Associated Press article detailing claims that he had sexually harassed numerous opera singers over the years. A total of 20 accusers were mentioned, but only two were named. The charges were generally vague and fell far short of anything like sexual assault or victimization. Domingo was accused of inappropriate displays of affection, such as “unwanted touching, persistent requests for private get-togethers and late night phone calls,” according to the AP.

Placido Domingo performing in 2018
The LA Opera announced it would investigate the charges, but without further ado several major engagements in the US were canceled, including dates with the San Francisco Opera, the Philadelphia Orchestra and the Dallas Opera. The Metropolitan Opera in New York City, where Domingo was scheduled to perform in a run of Verdi’s Macbeth opening on September 25, at first said it would await the outcome of the investigation, but capitulated in the face of the ongoing campaign. Last week Domingo announced that he was withdrawing from Macbeth and all future performances at the company, where he debuted more than 51 years ago.

After the announcement of his departure from Los Angeles, Domingo issued a dignified statement to the New York Times: “I hold Los Angeles Opera very dearly to my heart and count my work to create and build it as among my most important legacies. However, recent accusations that have been made against me in the press have created an atmosphere in which my ability to serve this company that I so love has been compromised.”

“While I will continue to work to clear my name,” he added, “I have decided that it is in the best interests of LA Opera for me to resign as its general director and withdraw from my future scheduled performances at this time.”

In the course of his extraordinary and unprecedented career, Domingo has appeared in more than 4,000 performances around the world. He made his Metropolitan Opera debut as a 27-year-old tenor alongside the legendary Italian soprano Renata Tebaldi. Domingo has also conducted more than 500 performances. After more than 40 years as a tenor, he undertook baritone roles beginning in 2009 and sang successfully as a baritone not merely occasionally, but regularly and to wide acclaim over the next decade, even as he nears the age of 80. This is an unprecedented achievement.

The list of artists he has worked with stretches from cellist Pablo Casals, well over half a century ago, to soprano Joan Sutherland, and all the major operatic conductors and singers up to the present day. Domingo became even more world-famous as one of The Three Tenors, which he formed in 1990 alongside the late Luciano Pavarotti and Jose Carreras. The world of opera was also brought to wider audiences through a number of successful films in which he was featured, including Carmen, La Traviata and Otello .

With the withdrawals and cancellations of the past several weeks, Domingo has no further appearances scheduled in the US. Barring a sudden shift, his American career may be at an end. This is the equivalent of blacklisting, a punishment without any criminal act, and an enormous loss for those who love live performance of opera in North America.

For the present, however, there have been no cancellations of Domingo’s appearances at all in Europe. In fact, after the account of the allegations and Domingo’s denial of harassment, the singer received a standing ovation when he performed in the Austrian city of Salzburg. Domingo’s calendar for the next year includes performances in Zurich, Vienna, Hamburg, Berlin, Munich, Cologne, Madrid, Valencia, Milan’s La Scala and London. He will sing Nabucco, Macbeth, La Traviata, Simon Boccanegra and Don Carlo, five of Verdi’s masterpieces, in which Domingo has invented his second career, as a baritone.

While the neo-Victorian witch-hunting associated with the MeToo campaign continues, and is particularly virulent in the US, Domingo is not without his defenders. Last week, Spanish tenor Jose Carreras stated in a press interview that in all the decades he has known him, “I have never seen Domingo act in an incorrect way.” Other well-known figures who have come to Domingo’s defense include soprano Anna Netrebko, with whom he had been scheduled to perform Macbeth in the current New York production, as well as retired mezzo-soprano Teresa Berganza and current opera stars Sonya Yoncheva and Javier Camarena.

As the WSWS declared previously, even if the charges against Domingo are true, they do not rise to anywhere near the level that would warrant the media campaign to destroy his career and tarnish his legacy. The LA Opera said that its investigation of the charges would continue, but it is extremely unlikely that anything will surface that remotely justifies the sensational coverage and attacks on him. The “womanizing” that is alleged is being turned into a crime in the service of the most reactionary aims.

The charges are all the more dubious because Domingo is beloved by audiences and musicians everywhere. He is well-known for his unselfishness, his collegiality and his ability to encourage his colleagues to perform at their very best. Domingo is known for his warmth expressed toward staff on every level.

The two related elements of the current hysteria over sexual harassment and “inappropriate” behavior bear repeating: Sections of the upper middle class, disoriented by economic insecurity, rising class tensions and the explosive political crisis, are losing their heads, so to speak. Their disorientation is encouraged by the professional promoters of such “movements” as MeToo, which is being used to scapegoat figures like Placido Domingo and divert attention from the fundamental issues in cultural life and society as a whole.
 

HeyYou

seriousposter
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The two related elements of the current hysteria over sexual harassment and “inappropriate” behavior bear repeating: Sections of the upper middle class, disoriented by economic insecurity, rising class tensions and the explosive political crisis, are losing their heads, so to speak. Their disorientation is encouraged by the professional promoters of such “movements” as MeToo, which is being used to scapegoat figures like Placido Domingo and divert attention from the fundamental issues in cultural life and society as a whole.
That is definitely a hot take. These boomer socialists know they're over the hill regarding modern socialist ideology, right?
 

3119967d0c

رنج آمریکایی ها
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That is definitely a hot take. These boomer socialists know they're over the hill regarding modern socialist ideology, right?
Not everyone in the Socialist Equality Party is a boomer. They probably have more members under 30 than they have members who don't live in New York.

Honestly, great news source, while I disagree with their position on Stalin they often do reporting that others won't touch and have some very insightful takes.

This is the with scientology after him right?
Looks like his daughter in law and son left it a few years back. Might be some blowback involved there.
 

Wilhelm Bittrich

I read Anime and watch Manga.
kiwifarms.net
Unwanted touching, pfff. He's from Spain, spaniards and latins are generally more demonstrative than anglos, for starters. I bet there's an ulterior motive behind this.
I'm not into dudes, but if some spanish opera singer or actress like Inma Cuesta wants to do some "unwanted touching", call me in! Will fake outrage and resistance, for about a minute, or so.
 

Pope of Degeneracy

This isn't a guilty look, is it?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net



Ronan Farrow Book Alleges Matt Lauer Raped NBC News Colleague
By KATE AURTHUR and RAMIN SETOODEH

Ronan Farrow’s new book “Catch and Kill” recounts his investigation of Harvey Weinstein; the hurdles his then-employer NBC News put in his way that caused him to publish the story in the New Yorker instead; and how Weinstein hired Black Cube, an investigative firm that employs ex-Mossad officers, to stop him.

But Farrow’s most explosive interview in the book is with Brooke Nevils, the former NBC News employee whose complaint about Matt Lauer led to the co-anchor’s firing from the “Today” show in 2017.

At the time, NBC News kept Nevils’ identity anonymous from press reports at her request. The full details of her allegations have not been made public until now.

In the book, obtained by Variety, Nevils alleges that at the 2014 Sochi Olympics, Lauer anally raped her in his hotel room.

A representative for Lauer did not immediately respond to Variety’s request for comment. NBC News declined to comment.

In Sochi, Nevils was tasked with working with former “Today” co-anchor Meredith Vieira, who’d been brought back to the show to do Olympics coverage. In her account, one night over drinks with Vieira at the hotel bar where the NBC News team was staying, they ran into Lauer, who joined them. At the end of the night, Nevils, who’d had six shots of vodka, ended up going to Lauer’s hotel room twice — once to retrieve her press credential, which Lauer had taken as a joke, and the second time because he invited her back. Nevils, Farrow writes, “had no reason to suspect Lauer would be anything but friendly based on prior experience.”

Once she was in his hotel room, Nevils alleges, Lauer — who was wearing a T-shirt and boxers — pushed her against the door and kissed her. He then pushed her onto the bed, “flipping her over, asking if she liked anal sex,” Farrow writes. “She said that she declined several times.”

According to Nevils, she “was in the midst of telling him she wasn’t interested again when he ‘just did it,’” Farrow writes. “Lauer, she said, didn’t use lubricant. The encounter was excruciatingly painful. ‘It hurt so bad. I remember thinking, Is this normal?’ She told me she stopped saying no, but wept silently into a pillow.” Lauer then asked her if she liked it. She tells him yes. She claims that “she bled for days,” Farrow writes.


Nevils tells Farrow: “It was nonconsensual in the sense that I was too drunk to consent,” she says. “It was nonconsensual in that I said, multiple times, that I didn’t want to have anal sex.”

Back in New York City, Nevils had more sexual encounters with Lauer. “Sources close to Lauer emphasized that she sometimes initiated contact,” Farrow writes. “What is not in dispute is that Nevils, like several of the women I’d spoken to, had further sexual encounters with the man she said assaulted her. ‘This is what I blame myself most for,’” she says to Farrow. “It was completely transactional. It was not a relationship.”

She was terrified about the control Lauer had over her career. After her encounters with Lauer ended, Nevils said she told “like a million people” about her situation with Lauer.

“She told colleagues and superiors at NBC,” Farrow writes. She moved to NBC’s Peacock Productions to be a producer, “and reported it to one of her new bosses there.”

“This was no secret,” Farrow writes.

Nothing happened until fall 2017, when the post-Harvey Weinstein reckoning led former “Today” colleagues to ask her about Lauer. Nevils told Farrow she then went to Vieira and told her what had happened. A distraught Vieira, according to the book, urged Nevils to go to NBC Universal human resources with a lawyer, which she did. After Lauer’s firing, she learned that Noah Oppenheim, the president of NBC News, and Andrew Lack, the chairman of NBC News and MSNBC, “were emphasizing that the incident hadn’t been ‘criminal’ or an ‘assault’” — which she claims caused her to throw up, Farrow writes.

“Nevils’s work life became torture,” according to Farrow. “She was made to sit in the same meetings as everyone else, discussing the news, and in all of them colleagues loyal to Lauer cast doubt on the claims, and judgment on her.”

And though Nevils had been promised anonymity by human resources, Lack saying internally that the encounter had happened at Sochi limited the possibilities of complainants — and soon, everyone knew it was Nevils. Though Nevils had not wanted money, she went on medical leave in 2018, and was eventually paid, Farrow writes, “seven figures.”

“The network proposed a script she would have to read, suggesting that she had left to pursue other endeavors, that she was treated well, and that NBC News was a positive example of sexual harassment,” Farrow writes.

The book also paints NBC News executives as obstructive. As Farrow amassed his reporting about Weinstein, Oppenheim asked him, “Like, is this really worth it?” and suggested no one knows who Weinstein is. Farrow was eventually told to stop reporting the story, because it was under review at NBC Universal. “This is a Steve Burke decision. It’s an Andy decision,” Farrow recalls Richard Greenberg, the head of NBC News’ investigative unit, telling him. Since he didn’t believe NBC would ever run his story, he took it to the New Yorker, where it was published in October 2017.

Sources at NBC News say they haven’t read the book yet, but they plan to defend the company’s decisions against any of Farrow’s claims.

“Catch and Kill” comes out on October 15.

Cynthia Littleton and Mackenzie Nichols contributed reporting.
 
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino