The Hunchback of Notre Dame Is the Latest Animated Disney Film to Get a Live-Action Remake

• Registration without invitation will be until July 4th, and we are reforming account penalties.

PS1gamenwatch

kiwifarms.net
https://people.com/movies/hunchback-notre-dame-getting-live-action-remake-disney/

The bells of Notre Dame are ringing louder than ever.

The Hunchback of Notre Dame is getting a live-action remake, PEOPLE confirms.

The film will be produced by Mandeville Films and Frozen‘s Josh Gad. Alan Menken, who created the original score of the animated film, and Stephen Schwartz will compose the music while Tony-winning M. Butterflyplaywright David Henry Hwang is attached to write.

While no casting decisions have been made, the remake will pull from the animated film as well as the Victor Hugo novel that was first published in 1831.

The animated version of the film was released by Disney in June 1996 and starred Tom Hulce as the voice of Quasimodo, Demi Moore as Esmeralda, Tony Jay as Claude Frollo, Kevin Kline as Phoebus and Jason Alexander as the gargoyle Hugo.

Moviestore/REX/Shutterstock
The Hunchback of Notre Dame is the most recent film to have a live-action in the works. Dumbo, The Lion King, Pinocchio and Mulan have all been announced as remakes, while Cinderella debuted in 2015 and Jon Favreau’s The Jungle Book was released in 2016.

It was quickly followed by Beauty and the Beast starring Emma Watson in 2017. Will Smith will portray the Genie in the live-action Aladdin, set to hit theaters in May.

Deadline first reported the news.

https://www.cnet.com/news/hunchback-of-notre-dame-next-to-get-disney-remake-treatment/

screen-shot-2019-01-17-at-11-51-33.png

The Disney remake machine just keeps rolling. 1996 animation The Hunchback of Notre Dame is set for a live-action reboot, adding it to the list of past Disney movies being updated.

Josh Gad, who previously played Steve Wozniak in the lesser-known Steve Jobs movie and voiced Olaf in Disney's animated hit Frozen, will produce the new film. According to Deadline it's titled simply Hunchback and will be be written by Tony-winning playwright David Henry Hwang.

Although it's being called a live-action remake, if it's anything like The Jungle Bookand Beauty and the Beast this film will only involve a few real actors surrounded by a whole cathedral-full of CGI. So it might be better described as "photorealistic".

This year alone, Disney is regaling us with no less than three such photorealistic updates: Dumbo, The Lion King and Aladdin. And with Disney launching a new streaming service Disney+, it's raiding the vaults to create new versions of The Rocketeer, 3 Men and a Baby, Father of the Bride, High Fidelity, Lady and the Tramp, Peter Pan, The Parent Trap, The Sword in the Stone, the Mighty Ducks and Monsters Inc. That's a lot of Disney.

Judge Holden

TRVE BVCK BREAKER
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

At this point the Mouse is reminding me more and more of that Indonesian brothel madam who was literally pimping out a captive orangutan to local villagers. Like the term "whoring" doesnt really seem sufficient to describe how Disney handles its intellectual property these days.

Naturally I suspect we will see endless oceans of autism from the usual suspects, predictable hot takes from media shills*, and then it will all be forgotten a week after release like every other live action remake disney has shat out so far.

*Im predicting right now a literal hundred DRUMPFFFF based articles, several dozen pieces raging against a fictional backlash against the film's "totally progressive and brave" cast/choices, and at least five mentions of gamergate during this impending shitshow

RomanesEuntDomus

Sic Semper Trannies
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Watch, they'll blackwash/brownwash Esmerelda because Romani are actually white and totally not oppressed enough for current year. And whoever they get for Frollo will totally be a let down, there's no replacement for Tony Jay.

Frollo will have a Richard Spencer haircut and he'll constantly talk about how he wants to make Christianity great again.

Lydia of Whiterun

Sworn to carry your burdens
kiwifarms.net
Thousands of years worth of mythology and folklore spanning only the gods know how many cultures but sure, let's do a live action remake of The Hunchback of Notre Dame.

23 and Me is a huge hit in America because people are interested in their "backstories." Combine this with the huge YA kidult market and you have the potential to tap into new fairy tales.

This is just another cash grab banking on nostalgia for a Disney film that wasn't as popular as they would have liked back when it first released.

No way Frollo's song Hellfire makes it in uncensored.

If they even put it in. Hellfire is probably one of Disney's most underrated songs. Their ability to portray that kind of internal spiritual/physical conflict, and the resulting hypocrisy, was phenomenal. Not to mention the score and lyrics. It's a fantastic piece.

And I got chewed out by my sister's wife for saying it's better than "Let It Go" because the latter song wasn't based on the white cis male patriarchy.

She's so fucking deep don't you know? So fucking deep.

Bassomatic

HOW DO I KNOW YOU'RE NOT MAKAROV
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Please stop.

Honestly jokes aside (and real fears) current year the story is good enough of a disabled man being hero towards a zealot and helped by a 3rd worlder.

Also I agree Tony Jay's voice was a high point of the movie, in pure skill. Now let me devil advocate, none of the music was great. In era those movies had some wonderful songs. But remake? No need, they never managed a tv show and got 1 sequal.

It's a great story if you read the OG one, the movie was good. Let it alone, pick another to abuse childhoods.

Diabeetus

The hyeckin frickyen sweetist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And I got chewed out by my sister's wife for saying it's better than "Let It Go" because the latter song wasn't based on the white cis male patriarchy.

She's so fucking deep don't you know? So fucking deep.
A lesbian that equates quality with wokeness? A rare specimen!

Golly

[warbles internally]
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can partially defend this one since Hunchback had more room for improvement than the average Disney renaissance movie, to the point where there's a German version of the musical with new songs by Alan Menken, fewer gargoyles, and more loyalty to the original Hugo novel (ie. very few of the main characters survive) that was created shortly afterwards. That version was later adapted in 2015 as an Off-Broadway show with further tweaks and a huge choir. The final product on the cast recording showed a ton of promise (if you're into musicals). It wasn't viable as a show due to having to cast a large full-time choir along with the regular ensemble.

Now, I'd hope that this is what Disney is thinking about when considering their new live action movie, but since they're already talking about new songs by Schwartz, I doubt it. I'd like to say I'll be cautiously optimistic on this one, but I don't know. Hollywood loves to fuck up musicals in favor of marketing and Disney keeps forgetting that the key to their renaissance was actually embracing Broadway.

Last edited:

Diabeetus

The hyeckin frickyen sweetist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can partially defend this one since Hunchback had more room for improvement than the average Disney renaissance movie,
You know they’re not going to improve it, right? These remakes only serve as a quick cash grab, all they have to do is make everything look grotesquely realistic, build hype and hateboners for the not-so-perfect cast of minorities, and that’s it! Nostalgia for the original movie already guarantees it’s success, they don’t have to improve anything at all.

Lydia of Whiterun

Sworn to carry your burdens
kiwifarms.net
You know they’re not going to improve it, right? These remakes only serve as a quick cash grab, all they have to do is make everything look grotesquely realistic, build hype and hateboners for the not-so-perfect cast of minorities, and that’s it! Nostalgia for the original movie already guarantees it’s success, they don’t have to improve anything at all.

And that's a terrible gambit for this film in particular since it wasn't necessarily a hit. Kudos to them for trying to take a depressing novel and make it family friendly but they missed the mark. The music was probably the best part of this film for me and some of the animation is beautiful but overall it was a meh. Many others don't even like it for that much.