The Last of Us: Part 2 - This thread has been double-DMCA’d by Sony Interactive Entertainment

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
Druckmann could be considered an industry veteran of sorts, he's been in the business since 2004.

Nomura and Kojima though are both much older, Nomura being the early 90s and Kojima the 80s.

The difference is simple attitude. Japanese media knows you need to land the whales to make a profit, you want the people who always buy the special edition and that loyalty is both considered two way and often repaid by Jap Media companies, with either nods or neat stuff thrown into the bundles to justify their price tags and make a decent slice.

The issue we have with Western Devs is the increasing arrogance due to prevalent media attitudes Art is for Arts sake and not for entertainment and if you complain they have a barrage of excuses reasons why you suck and should just fuck the hell off.

We see the same in a lot of Western Media. The hardcore is being told to repeatedly fuck off and then these companies are all stood about confused as to why their bottom lines are tanking. You can see it repeatedly in the shitty movie remakes, the comics industry, and increasingly gaming. The people involved have no interest in creating new, just rebrand and rehash things with their own fan fiction "fresh new take".

We could easily blame SJWism but I wonder if its because we don't take media consumption as seriously in the West. There's a weird prevalence of ridiculous hubristic arrogance that seems to not exist for a lot of the older school developers. They're always in the right and anyone says they're not is obviously outright evil and not someone to ever be listened to.
It’s telling to me that Nomura is actually only like 6-7 years older than Drukmann but has been in the industry for a much longer period of time. Really drives home that feeling that he latched onto the successes of others. No one can take Nomura being a good artist from him him, but Neil is about to choke his baby to death.

PrincessHomura

Kiwi of Caring and Fiery Passion
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The worst part about the Last of Us 2 hindenburg is how everyone's now shilling for the disastrously dumb FF7 remake because it might not be quite as bad. It's almost as if Sony are sacrificing Naughty Dog to keep people from bringing up how Nomura pissed over a classic game with impunity.

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
kiwifarms.net
If we're having the discussion about "game being designed to be not fun", there is actually an example of this type of game that does pull it off: Drakengard.

Drakengard was directed by Yoko Taro, the guy responsible for Nier. The game tries to pass the message that war is not a fun adventure you do with friends, but something that fucks you up and very quickly turns you apathetic. To do this your party is filled with psychopaths and generally unlikable people and the gameplay itself is made to feel dragging and repetitive. The game even goes further and argues against the idea of 100% completion by having the main side quest of the game (collecting weapons and leveling them up) being tedious slog and giving you bleaker endings (unlike the usual case of giving a perfect ending for full completion), with the 100% ending being a massive "fuck you" to the player.

Regardless, I don't think TLOU2 would be able to pull the "game no fun" aspect. First of all, I don't believe the creators we'll even attempt to make the gameplay feel bad, but just say they'll do it to make game-journos cream their pants. Second, at most the creators will try to manipulate the player to feel bad, while not really making the gameplay conform to the idea that killing dudes being not a fun past-time. Finally, Drakengard was a new title, not being based on an existing setting, and it is still liked only by people forgiving its bad design for the unique things about it, which will not translate well to a multi-million dollar game.
Reminds me of This War Of Mine and Darkest Dungeon. TWOM covered how brutal war (especially civil war) could be on an unprotected, vulnerable populace. DD, for all its flaws and quirks, pointed out that sane normal people do not go traipsing about in haunted monster-filled dungeons.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
A thing to note about Waters though is he fucking hilarious in interviews. Which changes how you approach his uncomfortable films and other matters because you know there's his pencil moustache and a smile and wink behind his work.
John Waters may be a misanthrope, but he's a nice misanthrope and seems to like most actual people.

BrokenWokenBespoken

kiwifarms.net
to
Reminds me of This War Of Mine and Darkest Dungeon. TWOM covered how brutal war (especially civil war) could be on an unprotected, vulnerable populace. DD, for all its flaws and quirks, pointed out that sane normal people do not go traipsing about in haunted monster-filled dungeons.
Honestly TWOM loses its touch after you go to town on the bandits and reenact what happens when Strelok sneaks into a bandit hideout and steals their tourist delight and maybe kill them for their guns and armor.

If Dead By Daylight was made in the same setting as TWOM it may have more bite to it.

Capsaicin Addict

Dancing on the ashes of history.
kiwifarms.net
Honestly TWOM loses its touch after you go to town on the bandits and reenact what happens when Strelok sneaks into a bandit hideout and steals their tourist delight and maybe kill them for their guns and armor.

If Dead By Daylight was made in the same setting as TWOM it may have more bite to it.
Yeah, if you're playing a scenario with a character who's not rubbish at fighting, sure. A little harder when you play the scenario with the math teacher and the kindergarten teacher.

Titos

Can't stop. Won't stop. Please stop.
kiwifarms.net
Not sure how on topic this is but I've been wondering what other studios are going to poach talent from Naughty Dog after this fiasco is over. In some recent interview I remember some employee stating a bunch of people there stating they were just waiting for their bonus and then are gonna jump ship. I don't doubt a bunch are gonna jump to either The Initiative, InXile, or Obsidian as TI has already poached a ton of talent from both ND and Sony Santa Monica. What happens when the wells run dry? Seemingly nobody wants to work there in the games industry and I'm sure the film animators they hired aren't going to give a glowing endorsement.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Pees out the side of his dick
kiwifarms.net
I've been wondering what other studios are going to poach talent from Naughty Dog after this fiasco is over.
I'd imagine the process is already happening. Remember, there was such a high turnover rate at Naughty Dog that they had to resort to hiring Hollywood animators because all the game animation people had fucked off.

elzaw

kiwifarms.net
Not sure how on topic this is but I've been wondering what other studios are going to poach talent from Naughty Dog after this fiasco is over. In some recent interview I remember some employee stating a bunch of people there stating they were just waiting for their bonus and then are gonna jump ship. I don't doubt a bunch are gonna jump to either The Initiative, InXile, or Obsidian as TI has already poached a ton of talent from both ND and Sony Santa Monica. What happens when the wells run dry? Seemingly nobody wants to work there in the games industry and I'm sure the film animators they hired aren't going to give a glowing endorsement.
Logical conclusion would be for Druckmann to resign from his position. He's obviously incompetent.

Icasaracht

You're all fags and I am your lighter.
kiwifarms.net
Many opine here that Druckmann ought to be dispensed with like any typical farm animal. I beg to differ.

Druckmann is a visionary! Where once there was a notion of so bad it’s bad or so bad it’s good, this mad lad bursts in and makes a game so terrifically and terrifyingly terrible that it’s worse after every sitting! His ineptness is matched only by his crunching cruelty and snobbish stupidity! A match made in hell.

Part grease, part soy. Full-time shit-bag, this Druckmann! I want his muck drenched in every orifice of man. Let the mutt impregnate all household names of every franchise of any, any console from any, any and all generations! Let this man step into Hollywood! Let him stand at the helm at each and every quantum leap for VR and AR alike!

Let him be the suzerain of our entertainment industries (both domestic and abroad) as we forfeit fun at his convenience!

For the memes he brings are glorious! And the autism salted by his steps are as steep as any ocean.

TexOffender

Whatever happens, happens
kiwifarms.net
The strangle meme has crossed time, space and fandoms. Spoiler for Kamen Rider Amazons second season which kind of does a backflip into being relevant to the thread, given that the unhinged new protagonist has to be put down due to making a bad situation infinitely worse just by existing.View attachment 1318041
Peep this castlevania animation cel

b64b8eb7e0e8a74f9553b0c39f32c473642d1b9a.jpg

Tags
None